The Student Room Group

Flagrant prejudice towards black men being permitted on TSR.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AbsoluteAnarchy
I've probably had bad luck when it comes to meeting people and making friends. I know not all guys are like that; one was very sweet and helped save me from my depression.
Then again, it's hard for me not to hold a grudge. I put up with years of being laughed at and being called horrible names; those boys shattered my self-confidence and they made me cry. Is it surprising that I hold such views?

If you disliked women because a group of them made your life miserable, then I'd understand your reluctance.

It's when people hate others without a good reason; that's what upsets me.

Honestly, I don't really think that's a good enough reason to hate entire groups of people. I get where your coming from but I can't agree with it. This is the sort of logic nutters like Elliot Rodgers follow to justify their actions. From primary school to the start of college I was treated like crap by almost everyone around me, save for about 5 people. I've never been able to keep more then a handful of friends at any one time and I find it pretty difficult to relate to most people, not to mention my trust issues. But I don't see how that implies all people are going to treat me like that.

But what I was saying is that I don't really have a huge problem with your views, I understand where those thoughts can come from, what annoys me is that it's seen by society in general as perfectly acceptable to say this about men, but when it's towards other groups it's suddenly abhorrent bigotry. Why is hatred towards us seen as acceptable? Are we somehow worth less then other people simply because of how we were born?
we should all hold hands and sing ring a ring o roses
[QUOTE=TheCitizenAct;59876467]So, now you hate men?
In gist, what you're justifying is racism. If I happen to have a bad experience with a group of black men, and that bad experience is consistent, according to your logic I have a free pass to extrapolate my hatred for those men to the entire black population.

Let's just take everything you've just typed, and switch the context. Hopefully it will highlight how insanely prejudicial you are. I've genuinely got no idea how you can't see it.

You're justifying your 'hate' (your word) towards a massive group of people following an experience with a tiny minority of those people.

How can people still get away with this in this day and age? The immensely ironic part is that progressives tell us we're moving into a progressive age. In reality, we're just reversing prejudices and behaving as deplorably as we always have. In the same way racism was socially acceptable when expressed towards black people before the 1960's, it's now socially acceptable to express hatred towards the all-encompassing label 'men.'

I never mentioned race... I haven't had any bad experiences with a particular race at all...

I'd never act on my dislike of the individuals I've mentioned; I only expressed it because it was the topic of the thread (not this one; the one you originally quoted me from).
I'm a cynical, bitter individual; I hate many people for what they've done for me, from boys to school teachers to female friends who constantly insulted me for no reason. If you need an elaboration on any of that, let me know.

It isn't exactly a tiny group of people that I've had bad experiences with. Then again, perhaps it is; it's difficult to tell when you're being chased down corridors and being called an "ugly b----".
If they truly cared about me being "prejudiced" towards them, don't you think they would've been kinder to me? Or at the very least, ignored me?
I wasn't pretty enough for them and they felt the need to rip me apart. I'm not sure if you know how that feels, but it isn't particularly pleasant.

Again, I don't hate ALL men; you're twisting my words.
I'm simply wary of those that fit the description I gave; there's nothing wrong with that given what I've been through. You'd probably be the same.
We don't fear without reason.

I should probably give you some more information as well; I have fantasied about actually being male and having a relationship with a certain girl. I've been told that I could be transgender; whether or not this is true, I can't say for sure yet.
I felt I should mention that at this point.

It's getting late - it's nearly 1 o'clock - and I need to get some sleep, but I'd be happy to continue this discussion at a later date if you wish. I'll check my notifications in the morning.

Goodnight. :smile:
I never mentioned race... I haven't had any bad experiences with a particular race at all...

I'd never act on my dislike of the individuals I've mentioned; I only expressed it because it was the topic of the thread (not this one; the one you originally quoted me from).
I'm a cynical, bitter individual; I hate many people for what they've done for me, from boys to school teachers to female friends who constantly insulted me for no reason. If you need an elaboration on any of that, let me know.

It isn't exactly a tiny group of people that I've had bad experiences with. Then again, perhaps it is; it's difficult to tell when you're being chased down corridors and being called an "ugly b----".
If they truly cared about me being "prejudiced" towards them, don't you think they would've been kinder to me? Or at the very least, ignored me?
I wasn't pretty enough for them and they felt the need to rip me apart. I'm not sure if you know how that feels, but it isn't particularly pleasant.

Again, I don't hate ALL men; you're twisting my words.
I'm simply wary of those that fit the description I gave; there's nothing wrong with that given what I've been through. You'd probably be the same.
We don't fear without reason.

I should probably give you some more information as well; I have fantasied about actually being male and having a relationship with a certain girl. I've been told that I could be transgender; whether or not this is true, I can't say for sure yet.
I felt I should mention that at this point.

It's getting late - it's nearly 1 o'clock - and I need to get some sleep, but I'd be happy to continue this discussion at a later date if you wish. I'll check my notifications in the morning.

Goodnight. :smile:

I fail to see how being born with black skin and a phallic member is any different, or more or less arbitrary, than being born with just a phallic member.

In gist, gender is just as arbitrary as ethnicity, yet from an experience with, say, 50 men, you have extrapolated your prejudice and projected it onto hundreds of millions of men. How can you not see how irrational and prejudiced that is?

Would you project a negative experience with 50 black men onto hundreds of millions of black men? How is that the precise definition of racism, yet one less arbitrary feature in the equation (black skin) is socially acceptable?

It just goes to prove how socially acceptable hatred of men is.
[QUOTE=TheCitizenAct;59876903]I fail to see how being born with black skin and a phallic member is any different, or more or less arbitrary, than being born with just a phallic member.

In gist, gender is just as arbitrary as ethnicity, yet from an experience with, say, 50 men, you have extrapolated your prejudice and projected it onto hundreds of millions of men. How can you not see how irrational and prejudiced that is?

Would you project a negative experience with 50 black men onto hundreds of millions of black men? How is that the precise definition of racism, yet one less arbitrary feature in the equation (black skin) is socially acceptable?

It just goes to prove how socially acceptable hatred of men is.

I was going to go to bed but I couldn't resist waiting for your reply.

Regardless of whether or not you find it "acceptable", I will take the necessary precautions to ensure my own wellbeing. I won't allow myself to be ridiculed a second time; I don't even want to risk it.
If a particular group of people constantly hurts me, I'm probably going to fear them and subsequently avoid them. It's the way I'm programmed; it's the way we're all programmed.
It would be no different if a specific group of girls attacked me; I'd dislike them as well.

I'm not going to be fond of someone/something that I associate with pain. It's that simple.

However, people from the categories I've mentioned could prove me wrong. If I somehow meet more of them and they treat me with respect, my views could be swayed. If I discover that the good guys outweigh the bad guys (within the points I've mentioned), I'd no longer feel so bitter towards them.

Until that happens, I'll stick to the people I know to be safe, namely my friends.
And yes, that does include a couple of men; decent men who don't say nasty things to me. :smile:

Now I will actually go to bed. Haha.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Here's another one from the same thread.

Here's what she actually said:

You are the lowest of the low editing my quote to "black man" and quoting me in this thread I'm not a racist and would never say anything of the sort. If you've got a chip on your shoulder it's nothing to do with me. You can remove that whole quote or it will be removed by mods as I've reported it. Defamatory nonsense.

Get a job mate, too much time on your hands.

There's a reason words have have different meanings and that's precisely why I omitted 'black man' because that isn't the point/meaning I wanted to convey.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Little Popcorns
You are the lowest of the low editing my quote to "black man" and quoting me in this thread I'm not a racist and would never say anything of the sort. If you've got a chip on your shoulder it's nothing to do with me. You can remove that whole quote or it will be removed by mods as I've reported it. Defamatory nonsense.

You do realise you're not being accused of racism, right?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MAINE.
You do realise you're not being accused of racism, right?
I don't care what his agenda is I don't want to be misquoted end of story. Least of all in a thread I don't want anything to do with and didn't participate in in the first place.
What's your point?
[QUOTE=Little Popcorns;59879455]I don't care what his agenda is I don't want to be misquoted end of story. Least of all in a thread I don't want anything to do with and didn't participate in in the first place.

I know how you feel; he did the same to me. He's trying to prove that we're "sexist", I think...
YE we get it. Women make generalized sexist remarks against men. SHOCK HORROR. They are a naggy lot after all.

But like black people being racist towards whites in America it doesn't quite have the same ramifications on the whole of society like whites being racist towards black people does.

So whilst it is annoying and I am sure men somewhere loose out to it like when applying for a promotion for in say the NHS when there are basically female quotas to fill. I will start getting more wound up by it when a "Gate to Women's Country" becomes a thing, meanwhile... meh.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
YE we get it. Women make generalized sexist remarks against men. SHOCK HORROR. They are a naggy lot after all.

But like black people being racist towards whites in America it doesn't quite have the same ramifications on the whole of society like whites being racist towards black people does.

So whilst it is annoying and I am sure men somewhere loose out to it like when applying for a promotion for in say the NHS when there are basically female quotas to fill. I will start getting more wound up by it when a "Gate to Women's Country" becomes a thing, meanwhile... meh.

I genuinely can't believe what I'm reading.

Are you rationalising a prejudice? Is that actually what you're doing?

You do realise in that rationalising your prejudice you're being prejudicial? Who are you to say what does or does not affect 30 million people? Who are you to prioritise what we're allowed to be prejudicial over, and what we're not? How can you rationalise one prejudice without condoning another?

Is prejudice permissible when there are no ramifications? Are we really going to have this conversation? Is this a progressive insight?
(edited 8 years ago)
I know how you feel; he did the same to me. He's trying to prove that we're "sexist", I think...
The guy needs to find other things to do with his time other than trying to antagonise people so he can justify his inferiority complex to himself "yes! See it's them, those women, they've done this to me".
Like honestly get off the computer and meet some real life women and you'll realise we're not thrashing our arms around walking down the street chopping up men with our gullotine hands. Instead of rampaging through town on a feminist tirade we are spending time with family and friends, a lot of whom happen to be men that we love and respect. Our brothers, our dads, our husbands/boyfriends, our sons. And somehow they manage to love and respect us too. You should try it OP! Honestly it's a lot more worth your while in the long run than posting the useless crap you post.
(edited 8 years ago)

There's a reason words have have different meanings and that's precisely why I omitted 'black man' because that isn't the point/meaning I wanted to convey.

So, just to clarify, you've no problem stereotyping all black men within the catch-all 'men', but to do so in isolation is racist and enough to send you into a rage spiral?

So, 'men' (an arbitrary label apportioned to a specific group) is an acceptable label under which to assign a prejudice, but 'black men' (an arbitrary label apportioned to a specific group) somehow is the worst label under which to assign a prejudice, despite the fact the former includes the latter?

How is ethnicity any more or less arbitrary than gender? The Equality Act 2010 deems both to be entirely arbitrary.

So, to unwrap this further. It's clearly not 'black men' you are referring to when you use the term 'men', considering your apoplectic rage at the incorporation of a single word (which, in your mind, turns it into a prejudice) in your prejudicial rant.

So, is it white men you have a problem with?
The guy needs to find other things to do with his time other than trying to antagonise people so he can justify his inferiority complex to himself "yes! See it's them, those women, they've done this to me".
Like honestly get off the computer and meet some real life women and you'll realise we're not thrashing our arms around walking down the street chopping up men with our gullotine hands. Instead of rampaging through town on a feminist tirade we are spending time with family and friends, a lot of whom happen to be men that we love and respect. Our brothers, our dads, our husbands/boyfriends, our sons. And somehow they manage to love and respect us too. You should try it OP! Honestly it's a lot more worth your while in the long run than posting the useless crap you post.

This is lovely, It's like when a racist person tries to convince someone they aren't racist because they've got black friends.

Are you shaming me in order to clear the path towards being as prejudicial as you like? So, you've just made a series of prejudicial statements about my gender, I've come back at you and held you to account for your prejudice, and now you are shaming me and outlining I'm the one with the problem? That makes sense.

Oh, you absolutely are sexist.
[QUOTE=TheCitizenAct;59879907]Oh, you absolutely are sexist.

Good morning to you too.

Sexist is disliking a particular sex for no reason.
I dislike SOME members of a particular sex for a VERY GOOD REASON.

You're blowing things out of proportion; you're probably just as bitter as I am.
(edited 8 years ago)
Good morning to you too.

Sexist is disliking a particular sex for no reason.
I dislike some members of a particular sex for a very good reason.

You're blowing things out of proportion; you're probably just as bitter as I am.

Morning. Yeah, yet more rationalising of a prejudice.
Good morning to you too.Racism is disliking a particular race for no reason.I dislike some members of a particular race for a very good reason.You're blowing things out of proportion; you're probably just as bitter as I am.

Would this be socially acceptable? Of course not.

How is gender any more or less arbitrary than race? I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. I'm trying to make people acknowledge their prejudices. I mean, if you look at the official definition of 'sexist' you are the very definition of sexist.

Full Definition of SEXISM. 1. : prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women. : behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex.
[QUOTE=TheCitizenAct;59880087]Morning. Yeah, yet more rationalising of a prejudice.

Would this be socially acceptable? Of course not.

How is gender any more or less arbitrary than race? I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. I'm trying to make people acknowledge their prejudices. I mean, if you look at the official definition of 'sexist' you are the very definition of sexist.

Full Definition of SEXISM. 1. : prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women. : behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex.

I'm starting to suspect that you're a troll...

You shouldn't switch sex with race. Neither can be controlled, that's true, but one exists within the other.
Whether it's sex, race, age, religion, the number of bobbles on a person's hat etc. if someone treats me badly, I'm not going to like them and I'm going to be mistrustful towards them.

It just so happens that the boys I've mentioned were the ones that bullied me.
They weren't women, they weren't of a certain age, they weren't of a particular race, and I'm unaware of their religious standing. They didn't have bobble hats either.
All I know is that from what I've experienced, those people are likely to be cruel to me.
I don't want to take any risks.

Is it prejudiced to be wary of a group of people because they've repeatedly hurt you in the past for no reason?
If so, yup, I guess I'm prejudiced.
All that matters to me is that I'm happy; I'm no longer subjected to horrible taunts. :smile:

If you think I'm going to go out of my way to voice my dislike or be rude to these people, then you're sadly mistaken.
I'm not going to do to them what they did to me.

I recall this saying;
"Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me."

Instead of telling me to stop being "prejudiced", tell the bullies to stop being mean.
They gave me these views; they're the reason I'm like this.
I didn't wake up one morning and randomly decide to dislike a certain group of men.
If anything, they were "prejudiced" towards me.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Indifferent.Don't let a few idiotic comments on tsr ruin your day.

Quick Reply

Latest