The Student Room Group

Would I get an ABB offer with predicted BBC

So I flopped in the AS exams. I did barely any work and treated it like GCSE's like an idiot and my results reflect it. With a B in maths(a subject I actually did some work in as it was my weakest) a C in chemistry and a D in physics. This year I'm going to knuckle down to try and pull it out of the bag.
At the moment my first choice uni would be Liverpool Physics(Bsc) which needs an ABB. Now i don't even know if they'll even offer me a place. Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

No. Get your predicted grades up or be okay with yourself that you may be wasting one of your 5 choices on a no hope uni.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by George_with_a_j
So I flopped in the AS exams. I did barely any work and treated it like GCSE's like an idiot and my results reflect it. With a B in maths(a subject I actually did some work in as it was my weakest) a C in chemistry and a D in physics. This year I'm going to knuckle down to try and pull it out of the bag.
At the moment my first choice uni would be Liverpool Physics(Bsc) which needs an ABB. Now i don't even know if they'll even offer me a place. Thoughts?

Original post by MeerkatSwag
No. Get your predicted grades up or be okay with yourself that you may be wasting one of your 5 choices on a no hope uni.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely physics at Liverpool would be available through clearing?
With BCD The absolute limit is BBB unis.
Sorry but your gonna have to take a gap year.

Or clearing.

Given the D in Physics, I doubt it. Had your predicted grades been BBB maybe you could have got a contextual offer but your AS-Results aren't good enough.
Original post by jamestg
Surely physics at Liverpool would be available through clearing?

If you want to risk your uni place by betting on clearing I wish you luck and you're a lot more brave than me.

Maybe you could aim for it with adjustment, but make sure you secure places at unis with lower entry requirements that you'd be prepared to attend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any course asking for an A grade is by definition, competitive and therefore, picky. They do not need to be 'kind' to those with no evidence they can work at the required level. Do not waste everybody's time applying.

Clearing - please rid your head of the idea that all courses end up in Clearing and that at that point all Unis drop their grade requirements like its the last day of the sales. Any course asking for A grades is unlikely to be in Clearing, and at that level they will not suddenly settle for C grades.

Lots of TSR advice here on How to Avoid 5 Rejections : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections
Reply 7

Think you're wasting your time a little, you'll just get filtered out as a straight rejection if you don't meet entry requirements
Reply 8

Apply to lower unis requiring BBB, and then go through adjustment if you do manage to get higher than ABB.
Original post by whydoidothis?
With BCD The absolute limit is BBB unis.
Sorry but your gonna have to take a gap year.

Or clearing.

Not necessarily, it depends on his predicted grades

Original post by RonnieRJ
Think you're wasting your time a little, you'll just get filtered out as a straight rejection if you don't meet entry requirements
Nope, people have gotten into liverpool to study physics with points less than those given by ABB at A2. These statistics also include points from AS levels so it seems like they're lenient.
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/entry/10006842FT-BSC_PHY/ReturnTo/Search
(edited 8 years ago)
Your wrong sorry.
Unis will look at his AS and his predictions and say something is not right here.
BCD to BBC is pushing it but fine.
ABB is crazy.
Your wrong sorry.
Unis will look at his AS and his predictions and say something is not right here.
BCD to BBC is pushing it but fine.
ABB is crazy.

Nope because the predictions depend on his UMS points, not just his grades. It's not unreasonable to predict someone 1 or even 2 grades higher if they were 1 UMS point from the next grade.
He got BCD predicting ABB is too much, your being silly.
I agree with you and so do his teachers, one or two grades is fine.
This is why hes been predicted BBC with BCD a jump of 2 grades.
Hey I was wondering if anyone would help me. I am applying to do International Relations , but the univeristy I want to go to want the actual grades BBB , my problem is that my predicted will be AAC. I am worried that the universities (that want actual grades) won't take me because my predicted won't meet the grade requirements. Helpp please!
Largely agree with this but generally speaking even courses asking for A grades do drop their grades in clearing, although I've yet to see any drop below B. I remember in the Telegraph this year that Southampton dropped its AAB offer for its law course first to ABB and then to BBB.

As long as OP isn't too picky about which university he wants to go to, he could always go for universities that make offers in UCAS points (Aberystwyth, Bangor, South Wales etc.). However, the best advice for him in this case is to take a gap year, do some resits, and get his final grades up to ABB or better and then apply with achieved grades.

Original post by returnmigrant
Clearing - please rid your head of the idea that all courses end up in Clearing and that at that point all Unis drop their grade requirements like its the last day of the sales. Any course asking for A grades is unlikely to be in Clearing, and at that level they will not suddenly settle for C grades.
If it's a competitive course, then they've got no reason to take you over somebody who has the grades and predictions unless there are extenuating circumstances involved, I'm afraid.

Original post by justastudent321
Hey I was wondering if anyone would help me. I am applying to do International Relations , but the univeristy I want to go to want the actual grades BBB , my problem is that my predicted will be AAC. I am worried that the universities (that want actual grades) won't take me because my predicted won't meet the grade requirements. Helpp please!
He got BCD predicting ABB is too much, your being silly.
I agree with you and so do his teachers, one or two grades is fine.
This is why hes been predicted BBC with BCD a jump of 2 grades.

Think about it, if someone got a grade B at 141 ums points they could be predicted an A. If another person got a grade C at 139 ums points, they could be predicted a grade B/A depending on the school. So BCD -> ABC/ABB. Furthermore, most schools almost always predict 1 grade higher regardless of the UMS points so it isn't unreasonable.
Sorry can't see how BCD is ABB. Not saying he wont get the predictions.
He won't get any offers.
No uni will take that kind of risk, lets stop this as its going nowhere.
Sorry can't see how BCD is ABB. Not saying he wont get the predictions.
He won't get any offers.
No uni will take that kind of risk, lets stop this as its going nowhere.

Then explain why the university has taken people with less than 320 UCAS points which is ABB.
Sorry to burst your bubble but only 10% were actually under the entry requirements. This was most likely because they got accepted even though they missed a grade on results day, like they got BBB and still were accepted.

But the with those AS grades, op already has slightly higher predictions and admissions tutors aren't dumb and they aren't going to think that someone with a D can push it to say an A, when A2 has harder content...

Quick Reply

Latest