The Student Room Group

M1 resolving forces help?!?!

image.jpgI don't understand the second part of question 15. I worked out that the coefficient of friction is 0.183 but I can't work out the acceleration??
P.s. The answer is 3.34 but I'm not sure how to get there
Reply 1
Original post by AvM4N
image.jpgI don't understand the second part of question 15. I worked out that the coefficient of friction is 0.183 but I can't work out the acceleration??
P.s. The answer is 3.34 but I'm not sure how to get there

Resolve down the plane to find the resultant force down the plane then equate that to ma, since F = ma. Then a = F/m.
Reply 2
But what are they? In my workings I've done 6gsin20+10cos20 as the downward forces and 0.183*58.8cos20 as the frictional force. But when I minus them and plug it into f=ma, I'm getting the wrong answer?
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
Resolve down the plane to find the resultant force down the plane then equate that to ma, since F = ma. Then a = F/m.

But what are they? When I work out the forces acting down the plane (6gsin20+ 10cos20) and minus it from the frictional force (0.183*6gcos20) and plug it into f=ma, I get the wrong answer?
Reply 4
Original post by AvM4N
But what are they? When I work out the forces acting down the plane (6gsin20+ 10cos20) and minus it from the frictional force (0.183*6gcos20) and plug it into f=ma, I get the wrong answer?

So you're saying the reaction force is 6gcos206g \cos 20? I assumed you resolved perpendicular to the plane, but you forgot to factor in the perpendicular to the plane component of the 10 N force.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
So you're saying the reaction force is 6gcos206g \cos 20? I assumed you resolved perpendicular to the plane, but you forgot to factor in the perpendicular to the plane component of the 10 N force.

Oh, I didn't realise you had to account for the perpendicular forces- I've only worked out the parallel forces. So the perpendicular of the block would be 6gcos20 but what would the perpendicular component be for the 10N force? Do both these forces act down the plane?
Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by AvM4N
Oh, I didn't realise you had to account for the perpendicular forces- I've only worked out the parallel forces. So the perpendicular of the block would be 6gcos20 but what would the perpendicular component be for the 10N force? Do both these forces act down the plane?
Thanks

What I'm saying is that your reaction force is wrong.

You resolve perpendicular to the plane to get R + vertical component of 10 N force = mg, then solve for R.

Then you can continue your working with this new value of R, your working is fine. Just your value of R that isn't.

Quick Reply

Latest