The Student Room Group

Politics applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by samghill
Applying for politics, got 2 spaces left and torn between Loughborough, Liverpool and Southampton. Any thoughts? also applying to Birmingham, Manchester and Royal Holloway. Cheers.

In terms of employability, there won't be a huge difference between the three. All three are in difference areas of the country, and are different to each other - particularly Liverpool to Loughborough.

Base it on location and what modules you may be taking.
Original post by owenj4
Thought I'd make a thread for people applying to Politics or similar courses for 2016 entry. Say which unis you're applying to, which courses, your GCSE grades, your AS and predicted grades and your top choice

Options:
- Politics - Durham AAA
- Politics - Exeter AAA
- Politics - Warwick AAA
- Politics - York AAB
- Politics and IR - Bristol AAA

Top choice is Durham

GCSE grades: 4A*s 6As 1B

AS: AAAA (Gov & Pol, English Lit, Geography, History)

A2 predicted: A*A*A* (dropped History)

hi! I'm rhiannon

Options:

Cambridge HSPS A*AA
Sheffield History and Politics AAB
Birmingham (unconditional) History and Political Science
Edinburgh AAB History and Politics
Leeds AAB Politics and Social Policy

Still waiting for Cambridge and Edinburgh!

GCSEs 7a* 4as
AS 4 As (Pol, history, French and English literature)
predicted grades A*A*A no lit

hoping to go to either Sheffield or Cambridge!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Received offers from Glasgow and Strathclyde. Strathclyde is Politics with Journalism and Creative Writing and Glasgow Politics with German. I can't pick between the two! Glasgow seems to be the more "prestigious" out of the two, but I don't know if it will translate into the degree being more useful than that of Strathclyde. Plus I much preferred the presentation from Strathclyde on the open days.
Original post by sm9851
Received offers from Glasgow and Strathclyde. Strathclyde is Politics with Journalism and Creative Writing and Glasgow Politics with German. I can't pick between the two! Glasgow seems to be the more "prestigious" out of the two, but I don't know if it will translate into the degree being more useful than that of Strathclyde. Plus I much preferred the presentation from Strathclyde on the open days.

Lots of TSR advice here on making Firm and Insurance choices : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices

Course content is *always* more important than the brand name of the Uni.

Remember you dont have to make this decision for *months* so you don't need to rush into this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by returnmigrant
Lots of TSR advice here on making Firm and Insurance choices : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices

Course content is *always* more important than the brand name of the Uni.

Remember you dont have to make this decision for *months* so you don't need to rush into this.

Thanks for your advice! After properly comparing the course content it seems like I'd enjoy Strathclyde more. But as you say, i have a long time to change my mind if it comes to it!
Reply 65
Original post by sm9851

Hey I didn't go to the strathclyde open day but got a conditional offer so now I'm wondering what it's like haha. What did you like about it?
Original post by km07
Hey I didn't go to the strathclyde open day but got a conditional offer so now I'm wondering what it's like haha. What did you like about it?

Its worth checking out the Open Day films on You Tube for any Uni you didnt get to see in person.
Original post by sm9851

Hi! Congratulations on your offers! I am a final year politics student at Glasgow Uni, and would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have regarding the course :smile:

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
School of Social and Political Sciences
Reply 68
Received offers from Nottingham and Manchester - Politics and int relations .I can't decide...which one should i pick ?
Original post by deea0055
Received offers from Nottingham and Manchester - Politics and int relations .I can't decide...which one should i pick ?

See links to TSR article above. And remember you have *months* to make this decision.
Reply 70
I applied for International Relations and got predicted 37 IB points. I heard back from Exeter, King's and Royal Holloway, and I am waiting for Surrey and Bath
Reply 71
I've applied for..

Politics (L200) at:
Hull
Swansea
York
Durham
&
International Politics at Aberystwyth.

A-Level Results (I took a gap year, applied for 2016 entry):
A*AB - Sociology, Psychology, Gov & Pol.

Received unconditional offers from Aber & York so far (York being the current frontrunner). Hoping for Durham but grade requirements were AAA so not expecting it.

Anyone applied to these too? Been to any open days?
Got offers from St A, Edinburgh and Essex for international Relations. Waiting for Warwick still! Any opinions on the schools/programs?
Wrapped up my UCAS journey after 3 months of waiting (in order of receiving decisions) all for Politics and IR or IS:
1) Southampton - Offer - BBB
2) Nottingham - Offer - AAB
3) Birmingham - Offer - ABB
4) UCL - Unsuccessful
5) Warwick - Offer - AAA

Anyone else with similar unis and outcome?
Hello guys!I received offers from Durham (Combined Honours in Social Sciences), Newcastle (Combined Honours) and Lancaster (Management, Politics and International Relations). I am thinking about firming Durham, but I am not sure. As for the insurance I really have no idea. Do you have any advices? As I am an European student, unfortunately, I am not able to come and visit the universities. i am mostly interested in prestige/graduate prospects (for Business and International relations)International outlookThe friendliness of the placeThe type of lifestyleI would be very happy with a great degree and a welcomimg community that you can easily bond with.If you cam share your opinions amd maybe some insights of these places I would be more than grateful. Sorry for the long post :smile:
Original post by Lalala97
I am thinking about firming Durham, but I am not sure. As for the insurance I really have no idea.

It all depends on the grade requirements for those offers - and what you think you can achieve. Your Insurance must be an offer with lower grades than your Firm so that if you get really poor results you still have a Uni place.

Check out each Unis Open Day films on You Tube - and the city/local area tourism films - this will give you a good idea of the different flavour of each Uni/place.
I have never seen so many A's in my life ahaha.
Conditional offer for Politics at Sussex! Anyone else applied/got an offer there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by sm9851

I'm the same but with university of Edinburgh! Strathclyde is my firm
choice for politics, have you accepted any?
Reply 79
To make up credits I'm thinking of doing economics in my first year to go with my politics course at Strathclyde. anyone know how much maths is roughly in economics or is it more like business?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending