The Student Room Group

Should I go to University at the other end of the country ?

edit
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jimbob2312
I live in the North West of the UK, about 2 hours north of Manchester. I want to study economics with a professional placement or a year abroad.

I have come across the University of Essex which has everything I want from a university and the course, however it is at the other end of the UK and about 5-6 hours away from home. Will I regret traveling such a large distance to study ?

Has anyone had any experience going to a university a large distance from home and how was the overall experience ?
Thanks.

Hey!
I need to get a plane to go home (Cyprus-Essex) but it's totally worth it. I would never choose any other uni than Essex! I finished my law degree there and doing a masters now :smile:

^Andriana
That's really positive to hear !

What is it about Essex University that you really enjoy ?

Thank you ! :smile:

Probably the accent! :wink: :wink:
You'll need to think about it. Some people are sometimes put off by the amount they'll have to pay in total in order to go back and forth. But if you really do care about the degree and you can't imagine yourself going anywhere but there, then take a risk and go for it! :smile:
generally it boils down to how you feel about being away and how often you intend going home. In this case there is the added problem if you are travelling by train. Most services from the North West travel into Euston. You then have to get to I assume Liverpool Street and then get a train out so this is a further consideration in your case. You could also look into flying and then going by train. Do your research on this and then decide what is right for you.
That's really positive to hear !

What is it about Essex University that you really enjoy ?

Thank you ! :smile:

Hello!

Thanks for you reply - seems that you are curious to find out!
It is the campus, the spirit here, the place and the people.
The university campus has everything - restaurants, shops, cafes, gym mini markets etc, and the town with all the shops is really close.
Essex really wants you to succeed and it welcomes people who set up goals and challenge themselves. The people are happy to help and offer you opportunities, either career or job ones. It is a great feeling to see yourself involved in many activities, and what is more, is that the academic level is really high.
Essex is second for student satisfaction according to the 2014-15 survey!
You can have a look on the Essex manifesto here:

https://vimeo.com/80890655 :smile:

Hope that helps!
^Andriana

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending