The Student Room Group

Mature Student Application

I'm 22 and recently gave up a (previously deferred) place at UCL for another year of religious study abroad. I'm now looking to apply for 2016 entry, and am trying to decide on a course.
The problem is that I underachieved at school: I have an A and two Bs in English Lit., History and French respectively. A couple of courses I want to apply for require three As. Location, volume of applicants, etc. obviously make every university, department and course different, but I want to ask whether my status as a mature student changes anything. Is it pointless to apply for a course for which I'm not officially qualified as a potential undergrad?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by Horatio7
I'm 22 and recently gave up a (previously deferred) place at UCL for another year of religious study abroad. I'm now looking to apply for 2016 entry, and am trying to decide on a course.
The problem is that I underachieved at school: I have an A and two Bs in English Lit., History and French respectively. A couple of courses I want to apply for require three As. Location, volume of applicants, etc. obviously make every university, department and course different, but I want to ask whether my status as a mature student changes anything. Is it pointless to apply for a course for which I'm not officially qualified as a potential undergrad?

Any advice would be appreciated.

For most purposes, a mature student is someone over the age of 25 when they start their degree.

Unis are only likely to be more lenient with grade requirements if you have lots of professional experience relevant to the course. They won't make you a lower offer simply because you are older.

In general, having your grades when applying makes you a stronger applicant for courses where you meet the entry requirements. However if you have ABB its unlikely that unis asking for AAA will accept you. As you don't need an insurance choice, then you could still apply for 2-3 AAA unis, so long as you are willing to deal with getting 3 rejections.
Reply 2
Ah. I thought that was only with regard to funding, etc., but that makes sense.
Alright, thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending