The Student Room Group

Thinking of dropping out of masters

Hi everyone

So I recently started my MA in Journalism, I literally applied, accepted and started the course in a turn around of about 6 weeks, so it was all a bit of a rush job.

Anyway, I'm starting to wonder if it's the course for me, while I would love to get into journalism, I am the only person on the course with no (and I mean NO) prior experience, to the point where I think a glitch in the system is how I ended up there! I feel so over my head when I talk to my classmates, and not because they're brighter than me as I feel we're all on a level playing field there, but because of the opportunities they've already had and the experience they've gained.

Never mind the work load involved in the course on top of having to work full time, which none of my other classmates seem to have to do.

I don't have the means to take unpaid work, which is a basic requirement in the journalism industry to gain experience, as I live on my own with no help from my parents, and it's not feasible to work unpaid for a couple of weeks here and there as I have so many outgoings.

I'm basically just unsure if I should drop out or not, and i was wondering if anyone else has and what their opportunities were like afterwards, and if anyone has any advice they could give me?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
how much do you want to get into journalism? If it's really what you want finish the course then look for opportunities to gain experience, Any student newspapers you can write for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending