The Student Room Group

A level maths (writing answers)

Hey everyone :smile:
In maths A level does it matter to how you write an equation/expression answer to a question? An example is in the book, its answer is 10t-2r but I wrote -2r + 10t. I know this may sound like a silly question but would I still get the marks? I know in maths, there's an order to writing things especially with expressions and terms etc.
Original post by Cherry82
In maths A level does it matter to how you write an equation/expression answer to a question? An example is in the book, its answer is 10t-2r but I wrote -2r + 10t. I know this may sound like a silly question but would I still get the marks? I know in maths, there's an order to writing things especially with expressions and terms etc.

I believe you would get marks for writing it like that in the situation you've described.

However, if it asks for a particular form (eg kroot3 or 'in its simplest form') then you might not get it. (Neither of those things apply to the example you've given).

In mark schemes you may see 'o.e' which is or equivalent, in which case anything that is 'the same' as the answer given is okay.
Yes
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
I believe you would get marks for writing it like that in the situation you've described.

However, if it asks for a particular form (eg kroot3 or 'in its simplest form':wink: then you might not get it. (Neither of those things apply to the example you've given).

In mark schemes you may see 'o.e' which is or equivalent, in which case anything that is 'the same' as the answer given is okay.

Oh cool. Thanks. It's just last time my tutor had said something about order. Something about x^2 is always written before x and 2x. I still don't understand what he had meant but as long as it's the same answer, I'm happy.
Oh cool. Thanks. It's just last time my tutor had said something about order. Something about x^2 is always written before x and 2x. I still don't understand what he had meant but as long as it's the same answer, I'm happy.

Oh, I'm not so sure then. It's probably good practice to write answers in descending powers of x. I'd give you the marks myself regardless but I am not an examiner. Maybe someone's who's 100% sure can let us know.
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Oh, I'm not so sure then. It's probably good practice to write answers in descending powers of x. I'd give you the marks myself regardless but I am not an examiner. Maybe someone's who's 100% sure can let us know.

Thanks for your help though, really appreciate it. Wanted to ask, do you know how to solve (r^2 + 3t^2 + 9) - (2r^2 + 3t^2 -4) ?
Thanks for your help though, really appreciate it. Wanted to ask, do you know how to solve (r^2 + 3t^2 + 9) - (2r^2 + 3t^2 -4) ?

Think of r^2, t^2 and the constants (or 9r^0 and -4r^0 if you like) as objects. You have 1 'r^2' object and you are taking away 2 'r^2' objects, how many 'r^2' are you left with?

Similar idea for other 'objects'.

Not even true, for example if the constant is positive and the x^2 (or whatever the highest power of x is) coefficient is negative, the done thing is ascending powers of x.
Flip the signs in the second bracket remove the brackets and simplify.
Reply 9
Thanks guys, appreciate your help x
Reply 10
Thanks guys, appreciate your help x

The order in which you write things is has no effect on mathematical validity and will subsequently not affect your marks one iota.

2x22x22x^2 - 2x - 2

2x+2x22 -2x + 2x^2 - 2

22x+2x2-2 - 2x + 2x^2

2x222x2x^2 - 2 - 2x

are all equivalent and writing down any one of them will get you your marks.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would agree with all the comments about expressions being mathematically equivalent. However, in maths exams sometimes the question will want the answers "In the form" for example " ... equation in the form ax + by + c = 0 where a, b, and c are integers" or "in the form a + b
Unparseable latex formula:

\sqrt

c where a, b ,c are rational numbers" or " .. to two decimal places" and you will lose a mark if you do not honour that requirement even if your answer is equivalent to the correct answer. I am guessing the teacher who asks / requires for polynomials to be written in descending powers sometimes sees solutions to quadratics performed incorrectly because the values for a, b and c are incorrectly substituted in the quadratic discriminant. Conversely many textbooks write polynomials starting with the constant term in the form of ascending powers a0+a1x+a2x2+..+anxn a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + .. + a_nx^n . Aesthetically I prefer this latter form but I can't explain why.

Clive
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by cliverlong
I would agree with all the comments about expressions being mathematically equivalent. However, in maths exams sometimes the question will want the answers "In the form" for example " ... equation in the form ax + by + c = 0 where a, b, and c are integers" or "in the form a + b
Unparseable latex formula:

\sqrt

c where a, b ,c are rational numbers" or " .. to two decimal places" and you will lose a mark if you do not honour that requirement even if your answer is equivalent to the correct answer. I am guessing the teacher who asks / requires for polynomials to be written in descending powers sometimes sees solutions to quadratics performed incorrectly because the values for a, b and c are incorrectly substituted in the quadratic discriminant. Conversely many textbooks write polynomials starting with the constant term in the form of ascending powers a0+a1x+a2x2+..+anxn a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + .. + a_nx^n . Aesthetically I prefer this latter form but I can't explain why.

Clive

If it asks for an anwer in the fom of ax +by + c , I doubt yu'd lose a mark for giving your answer as by + ax+ c = 0 and so on.
Original post by Zacken
If it asks for an anwer in the fom of ax +by + c , I doubt yu'd lose a mark for giving your answer as by + ax+ c = 0 and so on.

I hesitate to use the word "obviously", but, obviously. My point still stands. Read the mark scheme.
Reply 14
Original post by cliverlong
I hesitate to use the word "obviously", but, obviously. My point still stands. Read the mark scheme.

My point is that there is a distinction between equivalent statements in terms of simplification or form and equivalent statements in terms of ordering of the terms. As far as I can see, the OP was inquiring as to whether the equivalence in the sense of the order of the terms was okay in an exam.

I don't disagree with your post/point, I just don't think it's quite what the OP was asking for.
Original post by Zacken
The order in which you write things is has no effect on mathematical validity and will subsequently not affect your marks one iota.
2x22x22x^2 - 2x - 2
2x+2x22 -2x + 2x^2 - 2
22x+2x2-2 - 2x + 2x^2
2x222x2x^2 - 2 - 2x
are all equivalent and writing down any one of them will get you your marks.
Unless it requires it in standard: ax2+bx+cax^2 + bx + c form.
Reply 16
Original post by 04MR17
Unless it requires it in standard: ax2+bx+cax^2 + bx + c form.

Nah, I would think that form means that you can't leave your answers as 12ax2+(b1)x+c1+1+x+12ax2\frac{1}{2}ax^2 + (b-1)x + c-1 + 1 + x + \frac{1}{2}ax^2, you'd get your marks for writing it down as c+bx+ax2c + bx + ax^2 (which is actually a form used quite a lot in uni-level textbooks)
Original post by Zacken
Nah, I would think that form means that you can't leave your answers as 12ax2+(b1)x+c1+1+x+12ax2\frac{1}{2}ax^2 + (b-1)x + c-1 + 1 + x + \frac{1}{2}ax^2, you'd get your marks for writing it down as c+bx+ax2c + bx + ax^2 (which is actually a form used quite a lot in uni-level textbooks)
Nope, A Level mark schemes are so picky for edexcel on that.
Reply 18
Original post by 04MR17
Nope, A Level mark schemes are so picky for edexcel on that.

Wow, that's just stupid on their part. :redface:

In any case, I'd leave my answer as a = something_1, b=something-2, c=something_3 (which I think their markschemes accept)

Quick Reply

Latest