The Student Room Group

Oil & Gas No Go?

So I'm in my 4th and final year studying civil engineering at Loughborough and am now at the stage of applying to grad jobs.

However, after attending a recent grad fair, it would seem there are next to no jobs available in the industry. Even the oil and gas majors are skipping this year in terms of engineering recruitment!

Am I doomed? Is this the end of the road?

I'm reluctant to apply to grad schemes in another industry as they will usually tie you down for 2-3 years, by which time I'll probably be too far out of uni to be able to break into the O&G industry at all.

Help me. Please...:colone:
Original post by LukeIsIt
So I'm in my 4th and final year studying civil engineering at Loughborough and am now at the stage of applying to grad jobs.

However, after attending a recent grad fair, it would seem there are next to no jobs available in the industry. Even the oil and gas majors are skipping this year in terms of engineering recruitment!

Am I doomed? Is this the end of the road?

I'm reluctant to apply to grad schemes in another industry as they will usually tie you down for 2-3 years, by which time I'll probably be too far out of uni to be able to break into the O&G industry at all.

Help me. Please...:colone:

Very little recruitment at the moment. Maybe things will begin to pick up in a year or two. But you certainly could work in another industry for a while and move into oil if it picks up.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Very little recruitment at the moment. Maybe things will begin to pick up in a year or two. But you certainly could work in another industry for a while and move into oil if it picks up.

Maybe I'll try another industry. Gonna be tough feigning an interest during the application process when my head isn't in it, though :rolleyes:
Reply 3
( it might be partly the economy for oil as the lowish oil price), the industry is cyclical, ie when hiring picks up more you have a greater chance of getting a job ( as they aren't laying as many people off).
Reply 4
Original post by ebam_uk
( it might be partly the economy for oil as the lowish oil price), the industry is cyclical, ie when hiring picks up more you have a greater chance of getting a job ( as they aren't laying as many people off).

That's for sure. Last year there were hundreds of opportunities and countless companies to apply to. This year (at current) there are, at most, 4 positions available for someone with my background.
Reply 6

Doesn't look like there's anything at the moment, but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!
It's a cyclical industry and with the recent crash in the price of both oil and gas there are too many projects and too many employees. It will come back, but it will take a few years.
Reply 8
Original post by Observatory
It's a cyclical industry and with the recent crash in the price of both oil and gas there are too many projects and too many employees. It will come back, but it will take a few years.

Apparently we had a supercycle of high oil prices for the last decade, so perhaps a decade or 5 years of low oil prices , til it heats up and gets intense and we get another bubble. I am sure there will be more opportunities to transfer skills into the industry when the economy and fundamentals are right for oil and gas.... watch the oil price closely!!
Just opt for a jobs giving you skills, you can need in the roles you actually want. Like this you are a competitve candidate as soon as the time gets better. (Sounds easier than it is, but as they prefer people with shorter transition time, I think it is how you have to do it.)
Original post by LukeIsIt
Even the oil and gas majors are skipping this year in terms of engineering recruitment!

I almost asked if it's really possible to major in oil and gas. And I'm not even a blonde. :facepalm2:
Original post by Nathanielle
Just opt for a jobs giving you skills, you can need in the roles you actually want. Like this you are a competitve candidate as soon as the time gets better. (Sounds easier than it is, but as they prefer people with shorter transition time, I think it is how you have to do it.)

Yes, it is always the case that people with specific skills from other industries get recruited into oil and gas ( generally higher salaries)...( or indeed any booming industry), when the time and economy is right! By building up a professional skill set you can switch industries.

You see it in industries all the time, for example accountants will switch to investment banks or vice versa, as the skillset you have can make you valuable either way. As employers often run things to bridge knowledge gaps for the right candidate...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending