The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 1
Hi,

Thought I'd sign up after seeing your post :biggrin:

I'm currently a first year at Birmingham Uni studying Law. Finished the exams a couple of weeks ago, and get my results on Friday. Hopefully the below information isn't too daunting and gives you a good insight into the Law department here!

You have a two week introduction to the study of law, which is basically A level law crammed into a fortnight. Don't be freaked out though -- you don't need to know any of it, just provides a useful introduction into how the University teach you (or rather, how you're expected to learn).

After this, you'll have lectures and supervisions. Lectures are all 250 students sat in the Physics building usually (don't ask) listening to someone ramble on about a subject. Some lecturers are great, others are crap. You'll get an idea quick enough. Most are kind enough to provide handouts, so you can follow what they're saying. Attendance isn't marked or anything, so if you miss a few lectures it's not the end of the world, as handouts are on WebCT anyway (see below). However, if there are a set of lectures you do not miss, it's the Land Law lectures. With it's 25% failiure rate and it being the only module studied in the first year at a Law School in the country, it's no suprise why those lectures are the most popular. The reason -- it incorporates so many different areas of Law that most Law schools teach the other areas first, then Land Law. Here, they teach Land Law first, then the other areas of law. As an unamed supervisor for Land Law told me, and I quote, "it is so stupid".

Supervisions are like classes, whereby you are set questions before based on the lectures + some outside reading. These classes consist of about 15 students, and have a "supervisor" (either a lecturer or postgrad) who "direct" the discussion based on the questions. Whilst you can raise issues here on something you don't understand, the idea is that you come to the supervision prepared. If you have any questions, you should find them out before, or e-mail your supervisor. Oh, and attendance is marked in supervisions -- if you don't turn up, you'll need an extremely good reason why you didn't turn up.

ICT is a major influence here. WebCT, the Universities Intranet, is highly used by the Law department. All handouts from lectures, and supervision questions are put on here. Discussion boards are on there also, whereby you can discuss or ask questions. Most of the supervisors and lecturers are up-to-scratch with their ICT, and tend to reply to your e-mails or WebCT discussion posts fairly quickly.

You get a couple of essays to do for the whole year, and you're required to get 40% (a pass) in all of your modules. It will seem a little scary to begin with, but after a while you get used to the format, and it's fine.

Socially, I 110% recommend you sign up to The Holdsworth Club. They're the Law school's social group, run by students. They organise LOADS of events, and all you pay is a one-off lifetime membership of around £35. This entitles you to organised bar crawls, formals, professional events etc. It's a great way to get to know new people too!

As it's 3.26am, and I'm slightly p*ssed, I'll leave my ramblings there. However, if you have any more questions, stick them down and I'll do my best to answer them -- I've probably missed out quite a few things anyway!

Tim.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Fcuk. I'm already there and on the same course as you, Tim. I'm guessing you're Tim Carr, right? How did the exams go anyway?
Reply 3
I take it you're at Birmingham Uni already? I assumed from your post that you were coming here in September.

Yes, I am the mighty Tim Carr -- how on earth do you know me, or dare I ask!

I'm quite scared now :eek:

Tim.
Reply 4
I wouldn't say I know you. Your proliferations on WebCT make you known to most.
Reply 5
muncrun
I wouldn't say I know you.

Thank god, I wouldn't want any stalkers :smile:

Tim.
Reply 6
if i get in im gnna hopefully be doing law with german at bham!!
kokopops1
if i get in im gnna hopefully be doing law with german at bham!!

cool, i had no idea u would be doing the same course as me. I'm doing law at durham but deferred to 2005.

Latest