The Student Room Group

Too much stress... want to drop a subject at AS!

I need advice if anyone can offer it!

I am currently doing French, German, English Language and Classical Civilisation at AS level. In addition to those, I am also doing an EPQ.
The stress of doing French has got too much for me to deal with and I physically cannot find the working hours to complete the work. I have barely been able to have time to relax because I am so overloaded with work from all of my subjects.

I need help knowing whether it will affect my chances of getting into university to do Modern Languages if I drop French and only continue with German. I don't feel that I wish to continue with French after A-level for certain as I prefer Germanic Languages.

I am doing my EPQ based around the German Language as well as I am very passionate about it.

I want to drop a subject to allow myself to focus on the other subjects I take, in hope of achieving higher in them. Does this sound reasonable?

Will only doing 3 A-levels and an EPQ reduce my ability to get into a decent university?
-and will it change anything in university application procedures?

Thank you in advance!
Usually it's ok if your doing an epq but some of the top universities such as ucl like you to have a fourth AS, also I'd advise doing an epq in year 13 as you'll be better at essay writing etc by then
Reply 2
I was in the same situation as you, and dropped my fourth AS two months before my exams. To be honest, I wish I had just kept at it, although I came out with all As in my other subjects, it's added stress doing an EPQ now with UCAS applications etc. The EPQ can be considered as an equivalent to a fourth AS subject. It's up to you, but I would advise to stick at it, it will leave you in a better position for next year.

Quick Reply

Latest