The Student Room Group

4 A-levels vs. 3 A-levels

Hi,

I'm in the process of applying to university and my school are sending in my application tomorrow. Currently I'm on four A-levels, one of which is Chemistry and I want to study English at university. Out of my five uni choices, one of them is Cambridge and when I spoke to an admissions officer, they said 3 A-levels is fine. My school, however, are saying I need to do four in order to stand a chance against the competition.

I'm unsure of what to do and I've been trying to make a decision of whether or not to drop Chemistry for months now, but I haven't gotten anywhere.
If you hate it, drop it. Also find out how much Cambridge look at grades after you meet the minimum requirements, some places just want minimum grades then look at your PS
Original post by bellalalaxo
If you hate it, drop it. Also find out how much Cambridge look at grades after you meet the minimum requirements, some places just want minimum grades then look at your PS

It's not that I hate it. I've grown to like the subject but the amount of content that needs to be learnt and the time spent working on exam technique is what puts me off. I think I'd be able to handle the workload, but I don't want it to take priority over English and my other subjects in the process.

In regards to finding out how much Cambridge look at grades, I can never seem to get a straight answer, or everyone will give me different answers. An admissions tutor at the summer school this year said that competition is high and most people tend to get 2A*s or more on results day for humanities subjects, though only 1 A* is part of their offer. I don't know if that affects who they give offers out too. Other Cambridge undergraduates I've spoken to have said that the normal 3 A-levels and standard offer are fine, whilst my school are insisting 4 A-levels at high grades are necessary, because others will be applying with 4 or 5 A-levels too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by etherealinsanity
Hi,

I'm in the process of applying to university and my school are sending in my application tomorrow. Currently I'm on four A-levels, one of which is Chemistry and I want to study English at university. Out of my five uni choices, one of them is Cambridge and when I spoke to an admissions officer, they said 3 A-levels is fine. My school, however, are saying I need to do four in order to stand a chance against the competition.

I'm unsure of what to do and I've been trying to make a decision of whether or not to drop Chemistry for months now, but I haven't gotten anywhere.

Being honest with you even if you keep Chemistry you are less likely to be accepted than you are of getting in with Cambridge. This is the case for everyone. the only one I know of who makes offers for 4 a levels is Imperial so I would go with dropping Chemistry. Places like Durham and Exeter are likely to want A*AA for English so give it your best shot and concentrate on your other subjects
Original post by swanseajack1
Being honest with you even if you keep Chemistry you are less likely to be accepted than you are of getting in with Cambridge. This is the case for everyone. the only one I know of who makes offers for 4 a levels is Imperial so I would go with dropping Chemistry. Places like Durham and Exeter are likely to want A*AA for English so give it your best shot and concentrate on your other subjects

Thank you. That makes sense. I'll think over everything tonight and go in first thing tomorrow, knowing what I'm going to do, and inform my head of year of my decision. I actually have a Chemistry test tomorrow and my form tutor is my Chemistry teacher, so I know that if I see him first I'll convince myself to keep at it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you. That makes sense. I'll think over everything tonight and go in first thing tomorrow, knowing what I'm going to do, and inform my head of year of my decision. I actually have a Chemistry test tomorrow and my form tutor is my Chemistry teacher, so I know that if I see him first I'll convince myself to keep at it.

He probably wont be happy but you have to put yourself first as your future is at stake. a few years ago my son decided to drop a subject after a B at AS then the subject teacher tried to get us to convince him to alter but we told him in no uncertain manner that the students future was at stake and that the decision was taken for that reason.
Original post by swanseajack1
He probably wont be happy but you have to put yourself first as your future is at stake. a few years ago my son decided to drop a subject after a B at AS then the subject teacher tried to get us to convince him to alter but we told him in no uncertain manner that the students future was at stake and that the decision was taken for that reason.

I do think I need to start making some firm decisions. At the beginning of year 12, I really didn't know what I wanted to do; I just knew that I was going to carry on with English from GCSE to AS. My mum suggested medicine and that's where Chemistry came from. As soon as I realised what I wanted to do, the intention became to drop Chemistry in year 13. It's just when I've convinced myself that it would be better to drop it, all the teachers swoop in and tell me I need it or, if English doesn't work out as a career, Chemistry will be the perfect back up.

But I'm going to go for English and drop Chemistry. It's not relevant to what I want to do, and - if Cambridge doesn't work out - I'd like to go to Warwick, which is amazing. I need to put my effort into English, Maths and Biology.

Thank you for helping me realise that. :smile:
It's not that I hate it. I've grown to like the subject but the amount of content that needs to be learnt and the time spent working on exam technique is what puts me off. I think I'd be able to handle the workload, but I don't want it to take priority over English and my other subjects in the process.

In regards to finding out how much Cambridge look at grades, I can never seem to get a straight answer, or everyone will give me different answers. An admissions tutor at the summer school this year said that competition is high and most people tend to get 2A*s or more on results day for humanities subjects, though only 1 A* is part of their offer. I don't know if that affects who they give offers out too. Other Cambridge undergraduates I've spoken to have said that the normal 3 A-levels and standard offer are fine, whilst my school are insisting 4 A-levels at high grades are necessary, because others will be applying with 4 or 5 A-levels too.

The Christ's admissions tutor always emphasises quality over quantity. Ask him yourself: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3619547
If the Cambridge staff say that three is fine, why would you disbelieve them? They're paid to know this stuff in detail, and they have no reason to lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
The Christ's admissions tutor always emphasises quality over quantity. Ask him yourself: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3619547

I remember talking to him and he did emphasise quality over quantity. My school just always manages to convince me against it whenever I raise the issue, but I'm going to go in tomorrow and tell them I want to drop it. I need them to send me my application back though and I hope that they don't just decide to send it without me getting there first. I'm going to head into school at around 7:40 tomorrow, so I'll have enough time before form to get the issue sorted.

Trust Cambridge, not your school. The standard offer should be fine along with a good application and interview. If they like you they'll try and get you :smile:

Also good luck with your exams and I hope you get in! I'm sure you won't need it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending