The Student Room Group

Where to apply for medicine??

Someone please help, I have 4A*s 1A 4Bs 1C distinction in ICT all at GCSE, 3As in chem, bio and maths and a B in physics at A2, 590 VR, 730 QR, 730 AR, 690 DA and SJT Band 1 and im doing the BMAT in November. Im def applying to bsms but where else would I have a decent chance? im in a gap year atm and have reasonable work experience and I was headboy. please help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AkshayKishor
Someone please help, I have 4A*s 1A 4Bs 1C distinction in ICT all at GCSE, 3As in chem, bio and maths and a B in physics at A2, 590 VR, 730 QR, 730 AR, 690 DA and SJT Band 1 and im doing the BMAT in November. Im def applying to bsms but where else would I have a decent chance? im in a gap year atm and have reasonable work experience and I was headboy. please help

Sheffield- want UKCAT cutoff of 2510 (personal statement heavy)
Manchester?
UEA
Imperial
Those are just a few suggestions :smile:

You should hurry though, the deadline is coming up!
Original post by cookiemonster15
Sheffield- want UKCAT cutoff of 2510 (personal statement heavy)
Manchester?
UEA
Imperial
Those are just a few suggestions :smile:

You should hurry though, the deadline is coming up!

ive checked all of them and they are very risky for me :frown: so far I have bsms, Bristol and st georges, any other ideas?
ive checked all of them and they are very risky for me :frown: so far I have bsms, Bristol and st georges, any other ideas?

erm UCLAN?
erm UCLAN?

Is that central lancanshire?
Is that central lancanshire?

yeah
yeah

Isnt that just for non Uk applicants? Thats what i read

Alright, lets do this *pulls up determined face*

Your Gcse's are ok. Your UKCAT is good (685 average) And your AS's are also good.

Uni's I would consider if I was you:

St Georges (in london): They want at least 500 in each section of the UKCAT which you have. They want AAAB.

Sheffield: Want UKCAT score of 2510, which you have. They want AAA.

Nottingham: Use a points system http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/medicine/bmbs-medicine.aspx

Buckingham: http://medvle.buckingham.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=3#section-0

Links to help:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements
Reply 8

Depending on what subjects your A*s were in at GCSE, you could score well at Leicester (cut off last year was 59.5).
Again, depending on subjects, you could make SGULs points for GCSE and have a good UKCAT score
What was your AS physics? As you may make QUB full academic points and have a good UKCAT score for them.
Manchester rank UKCAT and use PS, you have not mentioned your PS, but should make their UKCAT cut off.
Look at UEA and see how you do there.
Sheffield have a UKCAT threshold then use PS (though given your UKCAT score, Manchester would be better as they are likely to have a higher UCKAT level).
It may be worth looking at Aberdeen, and possibly Dundee.
thanks for all the help guys! my ps isn't amazing cause I haven't got much work experience :frown: ive looked at all the ones you guys said and SGUL is the only one I have a chance with atm :'( for Leicester I got 60 which is too risky I think, Sheffield and Nottingham also my points add p kinda low :frown: ive done some research and got sgul, Bristol, Plymouth and bsms as my finals at the moment, what are your thoughts? cant do Manchester cause they declined me last year and the Scottish ones I heard were harder to get into if you are from England... any other suggestions? really appreciate your help everyone! :biggrin:
Is your reference, PS and UCAS form all ready to go, you're cutting it a bit fine?
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Is your reference, PS and UCAS form all ready to go, you're cutting it a bit fine?

everything is ready just trying to pick unis
Reply 12
thanks for all the help guys! my ps isn't amazing cause I haven't got much work experience :frown: ive looked at all the ones you guys said and SGUL is the only one I have a chance with atm :'( for Leicester I got 60 which is too risky I think, Sheffield and Nottingham also my points add p kinda low :frown: ive done some research and got sgul, Bristol, Plymouth and bsms as my finals at the moment, what are your thoughts? cant do Manchester cause they declined me last year and the Scottish ones I heard were harder to get into if you are from England... any other suggestions? really appreciate your help everyone! :biggrin:

I suspect 60 would be OK for Leicester and certainly stand more chance than Bristol if you think your PS is not amazing!
Sheffield just have a UKCAT threshold of 627.5 provided you meet there academic minimum requirements, then use PS.
The problem with Plymouth is that their offer is usually A*AA.
Scottish Unis do have quotas for RUK students, but they also have fewer applicants, so the competition is pretty similar
Original post by GANFYD
I suspect 60 would be OK for Leicester and certainly stand more chance than Bristol if you think your PS is not amazing!
Sheffield just have a UKCAT threshold of 627.5 provided you meet there academic minimum requirements, then use PS.
The problem with Plymouth is that their offer is usually A*AA.
Scottish Unis do have quotas for RUK students, but they also have fewer applicants, so the competition is pretty similar

the thing with Sheffield was that they want 6 As and ive def got 5 but dunno if the distinction in ICT counts as my sixth
im pretty sure ICT doesn't count cause on the Sheffield website it says
Non-GCSE qualifications (such as Level 2 OCR qualifications) taken alongside GCSEs are not considered as equivalent and do not count towards meeting the GCSE requirement. If you have not studied GCSEs, please contact the Medical Admissions Office for information about alternative acceptable qualifications and required levels of achievement.

so don't think my ICT counts :'(
What are your thoughts on barts??
ive also just looked at Newcastle whatare your thoughts on them? the thing putting me off barts is that theres about 2500 people applying there
Reply 17
I think Newcastle's cut off this year is going to be difficult to call, for reasons I have posted several times, but I suspect may be a bit above what you have.

You can see what was competitive and got offers for Barts last year here:
http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/Documents/admissions-2015-cycle.pdf
Original post by GANFYD
I think Newcastle's cut off this year is going to be difficult to call, for reasons I have posted several times, but I suspect may be a bit above what you have.

You can see what was competitive and got offers for Barts last year here:
http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/Documents/admissions-2015-cycle.pdf

omg this is so difficult!! dunno where to pick :'( those two are a def no now
I know Aberdeen are keen to take English applicants who wont want to do their clinical years in Aberdeen. Dont know how they match your stats though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending