The Student Room Group

Application details advice please

Hi all,

I'm stuck with my application I.e what to include and if it's too much info. Basically, in 2013 I left grammar school in yr 11 due to ill health and lack of attendance. To cut a long story short I spent a year at a state school I didn't attend properly due to my ill health and received bad As results. In 2014 I applied to a different state school to restart As and have achieved decent As grades and am predicted what I need for Uni. On my application I didn't want to mention my first year of As as it is insignificant to me and not a true representation. Should I put it on my education timeline or leave it off on my application? And if I put it on will it affect my chances of an offer as it is unexplained why I attained a DEUU -will I get a chance to explain why at interview. If I leave it off and get found out will it affect me? Also, 3 of my subjects I've taken are different/different exam board only one is the same exam/board over the course of 3 years technically if I put this down I.e include my first year will it affect me, I barely turned up to the lessons in the first year so it it fair to put I've had a extra year when I haven't really? Help please
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tom1502
Hi all,

I'm stuck with my application I.e what to include and if it's too much info. Basically, in 2013 I left grammar school in yr 11 due to ill health and lack of attendance. To cut a long story short I spent a year at a state school I didn't attend properly due to my ill health and received bad As results. In 2014 I applied to a different state school to restart As and have achieved decent As grades and am predicted what I need for Uni. On my application I didn't want to mention my first year of As as it is insignificant to me and not a true representation. Should I put it on my education timeline or leave it off on my application? And if I put it on will it affect my chances of an offer as it is unexplained why I attained a DEUU -will I get a chance to explain why at interview. If I leave it off and get found out will it affect me? Also, 3 of my subjects I've taken are different/different exam board only one is the same exam/board over the course of 3 years technically if I put this down I.e include my first year will it affect me, I barely turned up to the lessons in the first year so it it fair to put I've had a extra year when I haven't really? Help please

As stated in several TSR resources, EVERY qualification has to be put on your UCAS application otherwise you risk losing your place. I'm in the same position as you (different subjects though) - I got EEUU the first time I did year 12 so I have a section on my UCAS application that looks awful. If it helps you at all, several universities have stated to me that my retaking year 12 doesn't matter. It does depend what you're going to read at university though.
You need to put down all qualifications that you hold - even failed ones (i.e. U grades). If it was due to ill health, then you should ask your referee to mention it in your reference, together with any appropriate medical evidence. Honestly, they won't care if you have a genuine reason for not performing well.

Original post by Tom1502
Hi all,

Original post by Tom1502
Hi all,

You've done what you need to this year. Your referee is the one who has to justify your academic abilities and their predictions. Ask your referee whether they need more information about what happened at the other school in 2013-14.

You might have to discuss this at interview, so make sure your referee has given you enough details about what they write in your reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending