OCR Computer Science

Any tips for this? I need all the help i can get
Original post by TS21

What kind of help do you need?
Reply 2
Original post by ParadoxSocks
What kind of help do you need?

Just tips on how to succeed on this course, the programming and theory side of it all.
Original post by TS21
Just tips on how to succeed on this course, the programming and theory side of it all.

The best thing you can do is to get hold of the specification for your particular GCSE and start breaking it down so that you look at a couple of the topics at a time. There aren't many for gcse computer science but you do need the depth of get through your exam.

What programming language are you using? There's loads of *insert language* in easy steps books that are absolutely brilliant. Understand the systems life cycle, have a look at what your controlled assessment is going to be and then start looking at that.

For the controlled assessment - you can complete programming at home but you cannot take your home programming with you. This does mean however that you can have a go of it outside of school and then remember how you did things to take into school.
I did OCR - I would recommend:

When it gets to the exam, making sure you revise both the theory and programming - they're very likely to include a question where you have to make a pseudocode program. They're usually worth 6 marks - they won't ask you to make anything horrendously difficult but it's still important you refresh yourself on that as well as revising the theory.

As for learning the programming language, you can try websites such as Codecademy (which I found is good for Python) or something similar, depending on the language you're using.

In your controlled assessments, make sure you add comments to all of your code as you need to be able to explain what your code does if you want high marks. You also get marks for the efficiency of your programs so make sure they're as efficient as you can make them (don't repeat the same lines of code over and over when you could use a function, for example). :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ParadoxSocks
The best thing you can do is to get hold of the specification for your particular GCSE and start breaking it down so that you look at a couple of the topics at a time. There aren't many for gcse computer science but you do need the depth of get through your exam.

What programming language are you using? There's loads of *insert language* in easy steps books that are absolutely brilliant. Understand the systems life cycle, have a look at what your controlled assessment is going to be and then start looking at that.

For the controlled assessment - you can complete programming at home but you cannot take your home programming with you. This does mean however that you can have a go of it outside of school and then remember how you did things to take into school.

Im doing A level computer science
Original post by TS21
Im doing A level computer science

Exact same advice. The courses run the same except for depth.
Original post by TS21

Past papers galore. Get the mark schemes memorised.
Reply 8
Hi i was wondering if any of you know how i should complete the data validation section for my work. We are currently completing our Python code.
Reply 9
Original post by Andromedic
I did OCR - I would recommend:

When it gets to the exam, making sure you revise both the theory and programming - they're very likely to include a question where you have to make a pseudocode program. They're usually worth 6 marks - they won't ask you to make anything horrendously difficult but it's still important you refresh yourself on that as well as revising the theory.

As for learning the programming language, you can try websites such as Codecademy (which I found is good for Python) or something similar, depending on the language you're using.

In your controlled assessments, make sure you add comments to all of your code as you need to be able to explain what your code does if you want high marks. You also get marks for the efficiency of your programs so make sure they're as efficient as you can make them (don't repeat the same lines of code over and over when you could use a function, for example). :smile:

Hey :smile: R u able to help me with my computing CA? (Python) a453 speed camera.
Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending