The Student Room Group

International students - Interview

Hi!
I'm from the Czech Republic and applying to these medical schools in the UK - Glasgow, St. Andrews, Dundee and Oxford. I was wondering what are the conditions for international students in terms of interviews. Can they schedule their interviews so that they do them at one time? My parents are nervour about me travelling to one interview to the UK. They would definitely not allow me to go there multiple times. Plus it would be really expensive.
Reply 1
Anybody know? Please... :/
Original post by barborazel
Hi!
I'm from the Czech Republic and applying to these medical schools in the UK - Glasgow, St. Andrews, Dundee and Oxford. I was wondering what are the conditions for international students in terms of interviews. Can they schedule their interviews so that they do them at one time? My parents are nervour about me travelling to one interview to the UK. They would definitely not allow me to go there multiple times. Plus it would be really expensive.

You need to ask the universities directly and discuss your problems with them. No one on here can know with any degree of certainty what they will be able/willing to arrange for you personally.

I will move this to the medicine forum.
Hi!

If you're overseas they often conduct interviews via Skype. I cannot comment for specific universities though.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
If you're overseas they often conduct interviews via Skype. I cannot comment for specific universities though.

Well I'm from Europe so that probably doesn't count... Maybe if I explained to them that I don't have the money to travel several times to the UK just for an interview they would understand?
Reply 5
Well I'm from Europe so that probably doesn't count... Maybe if I explained to them that I don't have the money to travel several times to the UK just for an interview they would understand?

I suggest you email the universities directly.
medical schools take very few international medical schools and can pick and choose. They often interview at short notice so flights are expensive and they arent sympathetic to cost arguments. Should have checked before applying if they will do Skype interviews.
Reply 7

I'm fairly certain that while Oxford can do skype interviews for other subjects, they require you to be in Oxford for medicine interviews and if you cannot then you are automatically denied.

Dundee requires you to either do it at Dundee or their Asia campus, pretty sure you'd be better off travelling to Dundee

Can't comment on Glasgow or St Andrews, you'll have to ask them about that.
Reply 8
Original post by parentlurker
medical schools take very few international medical schools and can pick and choose. They often interview at short notice so flights are expensive and they arent sympathetic to cost arguments. Should have checked before applying if they will do Skype interviews.

EU students aren't international, they count as home students due to some EU laws so they are treated the same as home students, i.e. if home students are required to come to the university to do an interview, EU students are required to come to the university to do an interview.
Original post by not you
EU students aren't international, they count as home students due to some EU laws so they are treated the same as home students, i.e. if home students are required to come to the university to do an interview, EU students are required to come to the university to do an interview.

Yes I missed the Czech bit. Still they aren't treated in quite the same way as home students,. they have a language requirement to meet. They might still be allowed a Skype interview at St Andrews, Oxford say tough luck http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/Interview-arrangements-for-international-students
Reply 10
Hi there, firstly please accept my apologies for the delay in responding. I have contacted the School of Medicine regarding your question above and they have answered as follows:

Our interviews for the 2015/16 admissions cycle will be held on Monday 14th, Tuesday 15th and Thursday 17th December. Additional interviews may also be held in week commencing 8th February (please note that this date is provisional and may be subject to change). Due to the administrative processes of arranging candidates for interview, we are not able to re-schedule or directly swap interviews. EU applicants are required to attend interview in Glasgow.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending