The Student Room Group

Comparing Transgender and Anorexia

Hi,
Anorexia nervosa is a mental health condition where the person has a distorted image of themselves thinking they are overweight when they are extremely thin.
Then surely transgender should also be considered a mental health condition since the person is disassociated with anatomical reality and a disorder of assumption in thinking they can choose their own sex.
Then why does society and media promote a mental disorder? Any reasons as to why, Thank you.
I guess because when a person transitions from one sex to another then they generally feel better and more themselves.. but with anorexia there is no end goal, nothing is ever thin enough!
Reply 2
Original post by Uthman
Hi,
Anorexia nervosa is a mental health condition where the person has a distorted image of themselves thinking they are overweight when they are extremely thin.
Then surely transgender should also be considered a mental health condition since the person is disassociated with anatomical reality and a disorder of assumption in thinking they can choose their own sex.
Then why does society and media promote a mental disorder? Any reasons as to why, Thank you.

....rude like where do I start quote me tomorrow I'm ill today and I have a migrane thanks
Original post by Uthman
Hi,

In addition to what Hevachan said, I'd note that society isn't "promoting" being transgender as any kind of "lifestyle choice". If you've spent even half an hour reading the experiences of trans people you'll know that nobody decides to transition lightly - it's a course of action borne of necessity.
Reply 4
Original post by Hevachan
I guess because when a person transitions from one sex to another then they generally feel better and more themselves.. but with anorexia there is no end goal, nothing is ever thin enough!

Changing sexes is biologically impossible, then how do people feel "more themselves" if they did not accept the way they are.
Reply 5
Original post by sadly
....rude like where do I start quote me tomorrow I'm ill today and I have a migrane thanks

And how is it rude exactly?
Original post by Hevachan

It is currently impossible to change a person's sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Uthman
Hi,

Anorexia isn't considered a disorder because people have a distorted image of themselves. A mental disorders is defined as a ''mental or behavioral pattern that causes either suffering or a poor ability to function in ordinary life''. With the case of anorexia these problems should be quite apparent. Malnutrition and weight loss are two of the most significant problems that can come from anorexia.

Transgender-'ism' isn't a mental disorder, or at least there are no major problems that I can think of which come as a direct consequence of it. I'd like to add that being transgender isn't about changings ones sex but rather about having an identity that differs from that which is typical of people of their sex.

As far as identity is concerned I think the lines between 'man' and 'woman' are already kinda blurred, especially if we compare gender roles now with those which we had in the past. People probably thought at some stage in human history that if a women wanted to wear trousers, which have largely been a male-only piece of clothing, that they had some kind of mental disorder and that they were ill. We've clearly moved on from that! :P
Reply 8
Original post by SHallowvale
Anorexia isn't considered a disorder because people have a distorted image of themselves. A mental disorders is defined as a ''mental or behavioral pattern that causes either suffering or a poor ability to function in ordinary life''. With the case of anorexia these problems should be quite apparent. Malnutrition and weight loss are two of the most significant problems that can come from anorexia.

Transgender-'ism' isn't a mental disorder, or at least there are no major problems that I can think of which come as a direct consequence of it. I'd like to add that being transgender isn't about changings ones sex but rather about having an identity that differs from that which is typical of people of their sex.

As far as identity is concerned I think the lines between 'man' and 'woman' are already kinda blurred, especially if we compare gender roles now with those which we had in the past. People probably thought at some stage in human history that if a women wanted to wear trousers, which have largely been a male-only piece of clothing, that they had some kind of mental disorder and that they were ill. We've clearly moved on from that! :P

I am not saying cross dressing is a mental disorder but thinking you are born in the wrong body is clearly without a doubt a mental disorder.
Reply 9
Transsexualality is a mental condition yes, but easily fixed by allowing them to become who they want to be. We should let them transition
maybe do some research instead of posting stupid threads
Original post by Uthman
Hi,

No one truly knows whether being trans is a mental issue or not, but what i do know is that with anorexia is that it's like OCD, its obsessive and it develops. Being trans doesn't develop, it's always there. Anorexia can be triggered at any time in ones life, whereas being trans cannot.
Right, so transgender people 'choose' to live with such a difficult condition? As someone else said, I think you should actually try learning about these conditions rather than just making pointless and poorly informed comments.
Original post by Uthman
I am not saying cross dressing is a mental disorder but thinking you are born in the wrong body is clearly without a doubt a mental disorder.

Not by definition.

Crossing dressing is a part, though not always, of being transgender.
Reply 14
They're completely different for one? Like use Google I'm too ill for you

Original post by Uthman
And how is it rude exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending