The Student Room Group

Can a University/College kick me out because I have depression?

I recently started a foundation university course in Psychology, I have been doing the course for 4 weeks and not missed a day, however the tutors have now become aware of my depression and have discontinued my studies for what they state as " for my own well being" despite not wanting to leave the course and the course being a contributing factor to my recovery as a major part of my depression is a lack of education. I am currently seeing a counselor who agrees that the course would be beneficial to my health and overall recovery, and has noticed that I have grown as a person in just 4 weeks of starting the course.
Speak to your university's disability office and seek legal advice. I'm pretty sure that your university in going against the Equality Act in doing that :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Speak to your university's disability office and seek legal advice. I'm pretty sure that your university in going against the Equality Act in doing that :s-smilie:

I plan to speak to citizen advice tomorrow, then possibly a solicitor, I don't see how it is acceptable when it isn't effecting my education. I spoke to them today and the head of school and they seem to think kicking me out is the best option =/
Original post by berik450
I plan to speak to citizen advice tomorrow, then possibly a solicitor, I don't see how it is acceptable when it isn't effecting my education. I spoke to them today and the head of school and they seem to think kicking me out is the best option =/

Sounds like discrimination to me :sadnod:
Original post by berik450
I recently started a foundation university course in Psychology, I have been doing the course for 4 weeks and not missed a day, however the tutors have now become aware of my depression and have discontinued my studies for what they state as " for my own well being" despite not wanting to leave the course and the course being a contributing factor to my recovery as a major part of my depression is a lack of education. I am currently seeing a counselor who agrees that the course would be beneficial to my health and overall recovery, and has noticed that I have grown as a person in just 4 weeks of starting the course.

Dunno about what they can legally do, but I certainly think that's completely disgraceful behaviour of your university. You should definitely challenge their decision.
Reply 5
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sounds like discrimination to me :sadnod:

That's what I thought, I have tried to research online about it, but getting proper advice will probably be the best.
Are you getting on with your work, handing assignments in on time, attending, etc? They can kick you out if they can justify it. (ie, because you're not turning up or because you've not been handing in assingments) However, they can't kick you out because you have depression.
Reply 7
How do they know you have depression though?
Before you reach for the 'big guns' like solicitors, you should go and speak to a) your personal tutor and b) someone like a Head of Dept, Dean etc. Threatening legal action will immediately take this to another level, and getting reinstated will feel unpleasant in that sort of atmosphere. Keep this at personal level for as long as you can.

A Uni has a 'Duty of Care' - this means that they need to protect you, and other students. Unless you are a danger to yourself, or to other students, or are disrupting other students learning then their duty is to help you receive medical help/support.

Has your condition been properly diagnosed? On what basis have they asked you to suspend? What sparked this decision - a particular incident?
Reply 9
returnmigrant definitely has the right idea. Plus a Citizen's Advice Bureau will have a limited ability to help as they aren't experts in the uni system. I'd instead suggest talking to your Student Union to get some support from people who understand the uni's process for withdrawing a student. Also your uni's Student Support function to try and understand what they might be able to do to help. Beware of going to a solicitor at such an early stage. They will happily take your money, but the legal process for appeal can only actually kick in once you have exhausted the uni's internal processes - and most of those won't permit legal representations as they aren't viewed as legal processes.

I think you need better advice before going outside the uni for assistance.

I agree that there must have been something which triggered such a serious suggestion by the uni. If you were attending, doing the work and there was nothing about your behaviour which could raise concerns, the uni wouldn't have any reason to think about withdrawing you. Do you understand what has suddenly highlighted your depression to them and made it such an issue?
As well as speaking to your tutor, it might be worth speaking to the disability department about this.
sorry mispost I agree with talking to disability adviser..
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest