The Student Room Group

Student Finance 2016 / 17 FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrojanH
They give you it all. It's your money then.

Original post by Tiger Rag
Yes. Once the money hits your account, it's yours to do whatever you want with it.

Can you give it back so you don't have to pay it off?
Reply 41
Original post by Edminzodo
Can you give it back so you don't have to pay it off?

When you fill the form in, there's a box you can tick to say you want to the maximum loan and there's another box to say how much loan you want.
When you fill the form in, there's a box you can tick to say you want to the maximum loan and there's another box to say how much loan you want.

But I wouldn't be sure how much I would need in my first year . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
But I wouldn't be sure how much I would need in my first year . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then just keep it. It will come in handy.
Just apply
For the maximum and if you don't want it just repay the amount you don't want straight away. I doubt the 3% will have kicked in straight away but I could be wrong.
Reply 45
Original post by cherryred90s
Then just keep it. It will come in handy.

Agreed. You'd need money for a deposit on a house for second year. Plus, you never know when you may need some money to replace something.
Does anyone know why the maintenance loan is lower for students in Scotland than for students in England? Or am I mistaken...?
You can 'give it back' any time you want; personally, I would just read up and learn about finance in general. In short - this loan is one of the cheapest you can get a 3% and as a student chances are you will need it, ergo, keep it.
Reply 48
There's nothing to stop you making voluntary repayments. This generally isn't recommended. I don't believe. But you do have that option.

It's recommended you take all the finance offered to you. At least then if there's a problem with second year finance or you need a deposit or whatever else, you have the money.
It's recommended you take all that's available to you so that you will owe more at the end and be a more malleable citizen because of it.
Reply 50
Β£8200 is the maximum any student living away from home not living in London can get. NHS students are entitled to a certain amount of the maintenance loan.

Hello.

This is what I thought but I have just done my application and it said I am eligible for Β£3821 maintenance loan and Β£5526 higher maintenance loan totaling Β£9347. I have been told numerous times that the maximum maintenance loan that I would be eligible for is Β£8200. The Student Finance calculator also confirmed this. I am a single parent, zero income, with two child dependents so will also get Parental Learning Allowance and the Childcare Grant too. Is this correct as other parents that I know are also eligible for a higher amount of maintenance loan than the Β£8200. This was also definitely the 2016/2017 application. Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
If your doing nursing do you have to fill out the student finance form? & do you just use your current bank account?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by ciaralouise97
If your doing nursing do you have to fill out the student finance form? & do you just use your current bank account?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nursing students are entitled to a reduced loan from student finance. You can use your current bank account. You just need an account that accepts BACS payments. Most students upgrade their accounts to a student account because of the interest free overdraft, etc.
hi, what's the deadline to apply so that the Β£9000 goes in on time? i have to send my birth certificate to student finance because my passport has expired but will it reach them before this? thank you!
Hello everyone,

I am currently applying for student finance for the year 2016/2017

As I am an EU student and I haven't lived here in the UK for three years yet I know that I cannot receive a maintenance loan or grant.
However, I recently read that I may have a chance in getting the loan if Im a child of a migrant worker.
I came here in 2014 with my mum, and she came here to work and she currently has a job, does that mean that I can be entitled to it? She is a EU national aswell and she has been living in Italy for more than three years before we moved here in the UK.

Please, if somebody can make this clear for me so I can understand if I can receive the loan or not.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by anise_mc
hi, what's the deadline to apply so that the Β£9000 goes in on time? i have to send my birth certificate to student finance because my passport has expired but will it reach them before this? thank you!

May 31st
One of the questions was will you get a bursary or scholarship from the university. As this is my first year and have no idea should I just say no? Though I think I will be eligible for a bursary for people from low income families.
Original post by skeptical_john
One of the questions was will you get a bursary or scholarship from the university. As this is my first year and have no idea should I just say no? Though I think I will be eligible for a bursary for people from low income families.

Make sure you tick the 'Share details with University box' and they may just automatically give you one :smile:
Reply 58
Hey! I'm going to be studying medicine at brighton and sussex medical school, sent off my student finance application and now it's saying it can't find that university or my course to match it? Will only accept university of sussex and not with medicine???
Hey, I just tried registering for student finance but it's telling me that I've already been registered even though I haven't! Any idea on what to do????

Quick Reply

Latest