The Student Room Group

Student Finance 2016 / 17 FAQ

Students who started prior to 2016 / 17 aren't affected by these changes and will receive the same finance as before. (ie, if you received a grant, you will, subject to household income, continue to receive the grant)

What can students starting in 2016 / 17 receive?

Tuition fees:
Tuition fees aren't based on household income. You can receive up to £9000 per year for full time study and £6000 for part time study. The money goes straight to the university or college.

Maintenance loan:
Some of the maintenance loan you will receive is based on household income. (means tested) You will also get additional money if you live away from home or study away from home and attend a uni in London.

The maximum amounts you can receive (subject to where you're studying and household income) can be found here

Loans for living costs if you’re entitled to certain benefits
You can receive more support with living costs than other students if you qualify for certain benefits such as Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment. The loan has a maintenance element and a special support element. The special support element will be ignored as income for means-tested benefits. New students not living with their parents can get a maximum loan of £11,671 if studying in London and £9,347 if studying outside London. For students living at home with their parents the maximum loan available is £8,144.

Disabled students allowances (DSAs)
This is a non means tested grant. It's generally in the form of equipment and non medical help and you get this if you have a learning, physical or mental health difficulty.

If you have a low household income, your university may offer a bursary or scholarship. The amounts and the threshold for these will vary by uni. The type offered can vary, it can be cash, money off tuition fees or money off your accommodation fees.

Hardship funds:
There's funding from your university if you're struggling financially. People with children, disabilities, etc. are given priority. This may be in the form of a loan or a grant. (non-repayable)

Dependants grants:
You can also receive extra money if you're responsible for a child (including help with childcare) or another adult.

The student finance calculator is here

Interest Rates:
Interest on student loans will be applied atthe Retail Price Index plus 3% while you study.When you graduate, interest will be applied atthe Retail Price Index if you earn £21,000 or less. If you earn between £21,000 and £41,000 interest is the rate of inflation plus up to 3%. The Retail Price Index plus 3% if you earn over £41,000. All outstanding loan repayments will be written off after 30 years.

Student Finance have produced a resource with some videos. They can be found here
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
UCAS have also published some information on their website [url=
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/finance-and-support]here

I can't promise that I can answer every single question; as this is new to me as well.

Applications *should* open around February / March time.
Reply 2
I applied student finance this year but I can't get the uni what I want to study ! So I cancelled my application. But last time i also cancel by mistake. I would like to know how many times maximum can I cancel for application.?pls reply
Reply 3
Original post by Chaw
I applied student finance this year but I can't get the uni what I want to study ! So I cancelled my application. But last time i also cancel by mistake. I would like to know how many times maximum can I cancel for application.?pls reply

Don't think there's a limit. Not heard of one.
I applied to University in 2014 and I am a year two student who is changing courses will I still be affected by the changes? Or would I still get my grant which I dont have to pay back?
Reply 5
Original post by Pistachonut
I applied to University in 2014 and I am a year two student who is changing courses will I still be affected by the changes? Or would I still get my grant which I dont have to pay back?

New courses will be affected, yes
Original post by Tiger Rag
New courses will be affected, yes

What if I do a transfer? Same things apply?
I have dyspraxia and a part of this means they way i write effects my entire arm. In college I have a laptop and during GCSE's I used a laptop for a majority of exams.

Is it worth me applying for a disability allowance? I feel like as its a mild learning disability I probably won't get it aha
Reply 8
Original post by sophiarose97
I have dyspraxia and a part of this means they way i write effects my entire arm. In college I have a laptop and during GCSE's I used a laptop for a majority of exams.

Is it worth me applying for a disability allowance? I feel like as its a mild learning disability I probably won't get it aha

DSA is the only way you can get exam arrangements for long term medical stuff. So, the person who breaks their arm and needs whatever adjustments in exams needs proof. For you, (assuming you need to use a laptop in exams) you have to apply for disabled students allowance to get any exam arrangements.
Reply 9
Should your needs be reassessed each year for DSA? Is this expected? Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Racoon
Should your needs be reassessed each year for DSA? Is this expected? Thanks

No. You may get a new assessment if you needs have changed. You have to reapply every year, like you do with your loans; but you won't have to be reassessed every year.
Does marital status affect student finance? Like, does being married affect your application for student finance, and will you receive a smaller loan because of it?
Reply 12
Original post by annieprincess
Does marital status affect student finance? Like, does being married affect your application for student finance, and will you receive a smaller loan because of it?

Their income counts for your application. And if you're under 25, their income counts instead of your parents.
Just wondering how the bursary and loans work for the NHS students. On the gov.uk website it says i'm eligible for £8200 maintenance loan, and then on the NHS award estimate bursary calculator it says I'm eligible for £5491? is that total of £13961 correct???
Original post by heather1807
Just wondering how the bursary and loans work for the NHS students. On the gov.uk website it says i'm eligible for £8200 maintenance loan, and then on the NHS award estimate bursary calculator it says I'm eligible for £5491? is that total of £13961 correct???

That seems very high! Im starting a nursing course on Monday and go r roughly half that amount! But it does depend on circumstances and were you live etc. So could be correct!
Original post by ollynicky
That seems very high! Im starting a nursing course on Monday and go r roughly half that amount! But it does depend on circumstances and were you live etc. So could be correct!

Well I don't think that is right I think it's too high, but i don;t know how to find out
Well I don't think that is right I think it's too high, but i don;t know how to find out

Youll probably just have to apply and hope for the best think I got abou 2500 from sf! So yours seems high!
Reply 17

£8200 is the maximum any student living away from home not living in London can get. NHS students are entitled to a certain amount of the maintenance loan.
Reply 18
Im applying for an NHS course and live with my partner and our son. My partner is returning to college this September after his mum decided to not carry on with her business leaving him out of a job. So from September he wont have an income. What will I roughly get per week to live off? We live out of London x
Does anyone know when the 2016/17 applications will be open (i.e what month)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending