The Student Room Group

Tied between Leicester and Liverpool

Hi all, which do you think I should apply for with these stats?

A2 Level (Achieved): A*AA(b)
GCSE: 4x A*, 5x A, 2x B
UKCAT; 657.5

My Liverpool score is 16/18 but it states you'll only need to reach 12/18 to be considered with achieved grades rather than the usual 15/18
My Leicester score is 60 (last years cut off 59.5)

Also my other choices at the moment are Manchester, Cardiff and UCL (Do you think these are appropriate?)

Kind Regards
Reply 1
Original post by helloravers

UKCAT; 657.5

My Liverpool score is 16/18 but it states you'll only need to reach 12/18 to be considered with achieved grades rather than the usual 15/18

Also my other choices at the moment are Manchester, Cardiff and UCL (Do you think these are appropriate?)

Kind Regards

Definitely Leicester. And I think Cardiff will be heaving this year as one of the few Unis not making much use of UKCAT, so I might be inclined to put Liverpool in in place of them (or SGUL, UEA or even possibly Plymouth)
Original post by GANFYD
Definitely Leicester. And I think Cardiff will be heaving this year as one of the few Unis not making much use of UKCAT, so I might be inclined to put Liverpool in in place of them (or SGUL, UEA or even possibly Plymouth)

Sadly the only none admission test uni is now Bristol. Cardiff do use it now, but sounds as if it will be minimal use (to distinguish between similar candidates)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ForestCat
Sadly the only none admission test uni is now Bristol. Cardiff do use it now, but sounds as if it will be minimal use (to distinguish between similar candidates)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that is why I said not making much use of the UKCAT :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
Yeah, that is why I said not making much use of the UKCAT :smile:

Sorry... its been a long day!
Reply 5
Original post by ForestCat
Sorry... its been a long day!

I know that feeling! Hope you are enjoying it :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
I know that feeling! Hope you are enjoying it :smile:

Hopefully I will be more if I can make it through until Feb!
Reply 7

UKCAT; 657.5

Kind Regards

can you explain Liverpool 's scoring system. I have achieved grades as well. Also how do they use the personal statement.
Reply 8
Original post by temid
can you explain Liverpool 's scoring system. I have achieved grades as well. Also how do they use the personal statement.

https://www.liv.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/A,level2015.pdf

Its all on here
Reply 9
Original post by GANFYD

Do you mind me asking why? I know usually liverpool ask for 17/18 but they haven't previously used UKCAT hence they had 4000 applicants. Also why would liverpool state that 12/18 is okay if you have achieved AAA grades, if they still didn't take anyone with 12-16 score?

Sorry I'm just trying to sum my options up and make an informed choice :frown:
Reply 10
Do you mind me asking why? I know usually liverpool ask for 17/18 but they haven't previously used UKCAT hence they had 4000 applicants. Also why would liverpool state that 12/18 is okay if you have achieved AAA grades, if they still didn't take anyone with 12-16 score?

Sorry I'm just trying to sum my options up and make an informed choice :frown:

I think it is unlikely that Leicester's cut off will go above 60 (there were several people who got interviews on here with 58.5 last year), your score is transparent, fixed and so is everyone else's.
Liverpool appear to be saying you need to meet a minimum GCSE level (though later say higher GCSE score is better?) and then are going to simply rank in terms of UKCAT. Your score is in the 6th decile, meaning 40% of people scored more than you. They are then going to score PS. What percentage is each worth? If your PS is really poor, will it drop you down? Or if you have more A/A* GCSEs will it pull you up? I do not think this is transparent, and it is harder to assess your likelihood of getting an interview, so would always go with the straightforward, fairly likely to be successful place myself.
But if you really like Liverpool, it is quite possible you will be successful there, so go for it, just my opinion
Original post by GANFYD
I think it is unlikely that Leicester's cut off will go above 60 (there were several people who got interviews on here with 58.5 last year), your score is transparent, fixed and so is everyone else's.
Liverpool appear to be saying you need to meet a minimum GCSE level (though later say higher GCSE score is better?) and then are going to simply rank in terms of UKCAT. Your score is in the 6th decile, meaning 40% of people scored more than you. They are then going to score PS. What percentage is each worth? If your PS is really poor, will it drop you down? Or if you have more A/A* GCSEs will it pull you up? I do not think this is transparent, and it is harder to assess your likelihood of getting an interview, so would always go with the straightforward, fairly likely to be successful place myself.
But if you really like Liverpool, it is quite possible you will be successful there, so go for it, just my opinion

Yeah I think your spot on with everything there, personally would prefer liverpool but sometimes its best to choose options that are more likely. I wish Liverpool were more clear so I could make the choice!
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending