The Student Room Group

Private Parking Fine... Ignore or Appeal?

Today I received a quite frankly, bull**** parking notice. (From a firm called "Parking Eye".

I did a 12 hour night-shift for a retail store a couple weeks back (just a one off shift) and so obviously decided to park in the retail carpark just in front of the store.

Now I'm being charged £100 for staying over the maximum 3 hour limit.

Is it best to just ignore it or just appeal straight away? I've never received a ticket before.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by IamJacksContempt

Is it best to just ignore it or just appeal straight away? I've never received a ticket before.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822
Reply 2
Night shift? Why does everyone use that ****ty excuse
Your boss should be able to confirm that you had a legitimate reason to be park there
Original post by sandvika
Night shift? Why does everyone use that ****ty excuse

Are you dense?
Reply 5
Ignore :/ If they're not officially apart of the DVLA then there's no way they can get your information. If they are, then you should probably pay it..
Original post by Zuki
Ignore :/ If they're not officially apart of the DVLA then there's no way they can get your information. If they are, then you should probably pay it..

Apparently they can pay the DVLA to provide the information and this company in particular do it quite often
Reply 7
Original post by Zuki

Terrible advice on both parts.
Reply 8
Original post by Reue
Terrible advice on both parts.

:frown: I had a ticket from Ace. After paying the fine I find out that they're not even part of the BPA, so they couldn't even get my information from the DVLA, all they could have done was send threats and take me to court, which would have costed them more than just accepting that I wasn't gonna pay it. But I agree, it's risky and sometimes best to just learn from it and pay it.
Reply 9
Apparently they can pay the DVLA to provide the information and this company in particular do it quite often

Well then they're probably apart of the BPA, so you should pay it
Original post by Zuki
Well then they're probably apart of the BPA, so you should pay it

Nah I think I'll take my chances and make them fight for it.
Are you dense?

So mad
Original post by Zuki

Not true. A number of organisations can get your details for a fee, which I assume they will add to your bill.
I have taken on scumbags like this.
First things first ... if you don't want to pay you either ignore the ticket and hope for the best or take aggressive action.
First: check the notice carefully; if they made a mistake re your registration number then you should not have to pay (regardless of whether they can trace you).
If you were working on site then ask a manager to support you and get the charge cancelled. This is the most logical solution. DO THIS IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Say the staff car park was full / there was an earthquake / a ship was parked there. Anything.
You can tell them that you wish to appeal. That will give you time if you wish to on the offensive.
Check out the scene: were the signs clear? Easy to spot? Remember that notices must be clearly displayed.
What colour are the warning signs? Are they the same corporate colour as the shop e.g. green / white for Asda? Would a reasonable person identify them as 'official' warnings or mistake them for general information signs? Was it dark when you turned up? Could you realistically have seen warning signs?
Where is the company based? If it's Scotland then challenge them: under whose law are they acting? English or Scottish? I challenged a Scottish company about this and they lost.
Parking Eye is in England, but they claim that they are allowed to enforce these charges for breach of contract. You need a law student to deal with the notion of contract. I won on this because the company I fought was Scottish and did not have the ability to explain what the contract was.

Remember that the person at Parking Eye that you are dealing with is an idiot who is not capable of doing a sensible job and if you cloud the issue you might win but I have checked them out and they look pretty clued up and have won a number of cases. I strongly advise you to get a letter of support from the company concerned saying you were legitimately on the premises. I was lucky (and very aggressive) and won because the Scottish company was populated entirely by idiots.
Reply 14
I've never paid a parking "fine".
File it in the bin.
Original post by Canterbury bloke
I have taken on scumbags like this.
First things first ... if you don't want to pay you either ignore the ticket and hope for the best or take aggressive action.
First: check the notice carefully; if they made a mistake re your registration number then you should not have to pay (regardless of whether they can trace you).
If you were working on site then ask a manager to support you and get the charge cancelled. This is the most logical solution. DO THIS IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Say the staff car park was full / there was an earthquake / a ship was parked there. Anything.
You can tell them that you wish to appeal. That will give you time if you wish to on the offensive.
Check out the scene: were the signs clear? Easy to spot? Remember that notices must be clearly displayed.
What colour are the warning signs? Are they the same corporate colour as the shop e.g. green / white for Asda? Would a reasonable person identify them as 'official' warnings or mistake them for general information signs? Was it dark when you turned up? Could you realistically have seen warning signs?
Where is the company based? If it's Scotland then challenge them: under whose law are they acting? English or Scottish? I challenged a Scottish company about this and they lost.
Parking Eye is in England, but they claim that they are allowed to enforce these charges for breach of contract. You need a law student to deal with the notion of contract. I won on this because the company I fought was Scottish and did not have the ability to explain what the contract was.

Remember that the person at Parking Eye that you are dealing with is an idiot who is not capable of doing a sensible job and if you cloud the issue you might win but I have checked them out and they look pretty clued up and have won a number of cases. I strongly advise you to get a letter of support from the company concerned saying you were legitimately on the premises. I was lucky (and very aggressive) and won because the Scottish company was populated entirely by idiots.

I should probably have noted that I live in Scotland and it occurred here. I believe Scotland have different laws?

Otherwise, It was dark by the time I arrived at the car park. The sign which I didn't see at the time is very small and is on the other side of the road from which I entered. I just looked at it again on google maps and it's nearly impossible to spot!

Don't they have to prove that they have occurred a loss from me parking there? How could that be true if I was parked in an empty car park?
Take a look at the Pepipoo forums. Just google the name and it'll come up.

Experts on all things fine related.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shorty94
Take a look at the Pepipoo forums. Just google the name and it'll come up.

Experts on all things fine related.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That site is brilliant - thanks. I am going to take my professional moaning to a new level.
Today I received a quite frankly, bull**** parking notice. (From a firm called "Parking Eye".

I did a 12 hour night-shift for a retail store a couple weeks back (just a one off shift) and so obviously decided to park in the retail carpark just in front of the store.

It is very simple-if you have overstayed the time you are allowed to park in an area then they can fine you. On what grounds would you appeal?

I sympathise with you; I mean you said elsewhere that you were working for a Fortune 500 company in IT. It is admirable that you are so willing to work that you take on a long 12 hour shift in addition to your existing job; I mean thinking about it I have no idea how you manage to have the former job and still do the latter. But while it must annoy you to see possibly more than the shifts wages go to this parking fine you really can't do anything about it. As much as it must frustrate you, just pay up and learn from it. Yes, it is frustrating after taking on two jobs to then lose the income you got from the latter one, but appealing purely out of this frustration about this will not change the fact that you did indeed overstay your welcome on private property.

One thing I would do though is ask the company if they can help in any way; after all, you were working for them. Just explain to them that you worked 10 hours (assuming 2 breaks of 1 hour) at £6.70 an hour, earning you £67 before NI, tax, etc. This fine is £100 and that you just can't afford it. They will never know that you have another well paying job in IT. Hopefully the store will let you off but since it is a private company who are dealing with it I doubt this would help now anyway. Worth a shot though, better to try and keep your money rather than pay more in a parking fine than you actually earned by a considerable margin.

Hope that helps:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hahah nice try psycho, stalking my posts :wink: think you should probably know that I was posting this on behalf of someone else. Far easier and more efficient to simply say "I" than saying "so and so" each time don't you think? Nevertheless I lnow you won't believe me, despite the fact I post on here ever night! Appreciate your sympathies nonetheless but they got it sorted :biggrin:

You post on here every night? But you said it was a one off shift? So why would you posting on here be relevant to a one off shift in any way? Moving on from this lie;
I'm not sure what you are getting at here. I tried to help you and you seem to have some kind of issues stemming from insecurities.

Sounds to me like it was you. You could easily have said right at the start that;
"I know someone who". And then replace all the bold with "they" or "they have".

So again, rather than lying about some job, rather than lying about it being you, how about you take the help that you asked for? My point was valid-ask if the store can help you but if not then just pay up since you were in the wrong. You may feel aggrieved at working 12 hours and being £40 down and this may make you want to appeal but this frustration has nothing to do with the rules-overstay your parking (no matter how noble the reason, like working two jobs) and you get fined.

EDIT; Looking through here I have no idea where you are so irrationally angry. You call me "psycho"... oh the irony.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest