The Student Room Group

Crohn's disease and accommodation

I'm in my third year of a four year course and I was officially diagnosed with crohn's disease around five months ago. I currently rent private accommodation, but it looks like I'm going to have to move back into halls next year, but the problem is I need my own bathroom and there's no way I can afford the universities price for En-suite.
This will be the first year that I've considered applying for DSA (disabled student allowance) and I was wondering how likely it would be for the university to help pay towards the en-suite price, or for student finance to give me some money to pay towards it?
Original post by hwdde95
I'm in my third year of a four year course and I was officially diagnosed with crohn's disease around five months ago. I currently rent private accommodation, but it looks like I'm going to have to move back into halls next year, but the problem is I need my own bathroom and there's no way I can afford the universities price for En-suite.
This will be the first year that I've considered applying for DSA (disabled student allowance) and I was wondering how likely it would be for the university to help pay towards the en-suite price, or for student finance to give me some money to pay towards it?

As you're asking about DSA I've moved this to the disabled students section of the site, you much more likely to get a helpful answer here :smile:
Reply 2
I think getting actual funding depends on whether or not you get PIP, I'm applying for uni this year and at the open days when I've seen the disabilities officer they've never mentioned funds, just providing equipment such as recording equipment for me for lectures.
I'm not entirely sure, you'd have to ask an expert!
Original post by SMer
I think getting actual funding depends on whether or not you get PIP, I'm applying for uni this year and at the open days when I've seen the disabilities officer they've never mentioned funds, just providing equipment such as recording equipment for me for lectures.
I'm not entirely sure, you'd have to ask an expert!

It doesn't depend on whether you receive PIP.

The rules have changed a lot recently. I have to admit I'm not up to speed on what they currently are. The OP needs to speak to the disability department at uni.
Reply 4
I think you should be able to, speak to your student support department. I am doing my third year and this year I got accommodation costs added into my needs assessment for a studio flat due to my mental health problems. I met another girl last year who had an en suite funded due to crohns disease. Obviously I can't say for sure but you should apply for DSA as soon as possible in order to get the support you need lined up and ready. I had to provide evidence of my needs through my support worker and counsellor/psychiatrist but student support should be able to explain the process to you. It is not related to PIP.
Reply 5
They're tightening up on whether people get difference in accommodation, but if it doesn't get approved there are often other funds that your university should be able to help you access which could then be used to pay for your accommodation difference. I think it's called the hardship fund if I'm not mistaken. That's what my uni calls it anyway and that's what I used last year and will be using again this year. It comes under the non-standard award.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending