The Student Room Group

Topshop under fire for 'glamorising mental health'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3270381/Topshop-fire-selling-gold-scar-tattoos-glamorise-self-harm.html

Personally, I don't think we should be condoning a medical condition as a fashion accessory. What do you think about this?

Scroll to see replies

What the actual ****? :lolwut:
Reply 2
that's disgusting.
scars aren't so pretty, neat or gold..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
You see it all the time in a certain subsection of teenage society. Young girls and boys who want a reason to feel special and feel attention so they take their occasional mood swings and say 'I'm bipolar', take their sad moments and say 'I'm depressed', or take their clean rooms and say 'I have OCD'. It's tragic.
Reply 4
Do they sit around a table and think of ways to reduce the number of customers and bash public image.

Good job atm.
I think they were so desperate to find new ways of making money that they stumbled into a no-go zone.
http://blogs.arts.ac.uk/csm/2015/10/08/tattoos-for-topshop/#more-14720

It wasn't just scars that the artist made. Otherwise imperfections are there.
Reply 7
That is so disgusting. Seriously, who sat there and thought 'let's sell temporary self-harm tattoos, because that's a good idea.' Complete an utter idiots. :colonhash:
Reply 8
Do people not realise that not all scars are caused by self-harm?

I have scars on my stomach from various operations which I am self conscious about. My sister has scars on her stomach, my friend has scars on her face, my mum has scars on her fingers, all from operations or accidents. I personally love these tattoos.

It isn't glamorising mental health, at all. People are being pathetic.

It's about loving yourself, no matter what is on your body. Freckles, scars, etc. I'm sorry, but that's not disgusting. Not all people who have scars and are self conscious about them did it through self-harm.
What's next, imitation needle marks for the crook of your elbow and DIY make-your-teeth-look-rotten kits?
Reply 10
this upsets me... alot

edit: okay people are saying it is because of halloween but topshop hasn't said this

but also, if you're promoting self-love why would you put scars on you? that doesn't make sense. You have to love your body with or without those weird temporary tattoos - idk it baffles me
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm a self-harmer and I see wouldn't immediately think gold scar temp tattoo = glamourising self-harm. I don't know why anyone would buy them but I don't this as offensive.
Being offended by this is a ridiculous notion. Why should people that have scars not be allowed to celebrate them. (There is a DIFFERENCE between celebrating scars and celebrating self harm).

Scars do not always mean self harm. The scar tattoos look like those from operations or injuries. Why should the scars NOT caused by self harm not be celebrated? Because someone "finds it offensive". Pathetic.

There are birth mark tattoos, freckle tattoos, etc in the same line. All of them are promoting self love, no matter what is on your skin. People that got scars through injuries, accidents, burns, operations, etc all deserve self love.

The world is too over sensitive.
Sometimes when I'm taking a dump I think to myself, what is the absolute limit of human stupidity? I have pondered the question of the magnitude of our universe aplenty and came to the conclusion that it is ever expanding, but has set limits. While I was unable define 'absolute stupidity', I thought I had come relatively close. However, this has made me reappraise my own appraisal process. It is evident that I must defecate more often if I wish to comprehend the sheer magnitude of stupidity that can be achieved.
Whilst I agree that we shouldn't glamorise conditions such as self harming, I think such stickers / tattoos would be useful for those who have overcome something. Scars don't just come from self harming and other negative principles.

What if you had a person who had a cancerous tumour removed with the operation leaving behind scars - you'd want to celebrate beating cancer, right? It's no different to having a "I kicked cancer's ass" bumper sticker.
Are they actually being marketed as self-harm scar tattoos? If I saw them in a shop I would have presumed it was to do with Halloween.
I think someone mentioned how its to do with Halloween and zombie scarrs?
Reply 17
I don't see what's wrong with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It would seem many look more like surgical scars to me? "flaws worth fighting for", the connotation could also be surviving major illness/surgery/cancer could it not...?

Guess people read into it what they want tbh, and of course we're in the age of offense/twitter. #mustsueTopshop4emotionaldistress

by the by, temporary scar tattoo's have existed forever, for boys they're meant to make you look "cool" I guess lol, but yeah I've seen them before, either Halloween (which is just around the corner...) or just in general, the product doesn't mention self-harming...attention seekers are seeking attention.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's for Halloween....

Quick Reply

Latest