The Student Room Group

Predicted ABC, can I apply to ABB?

Universities like Cardiff, Exeter and Surrey all want ABB - CompSci - they all want B's in maths which is why i'm worried :frown:

Economics - A
Physics - B
Maths - C

the maths department is too strict in my school and after a poor test result that I revised weeks for they refuse to give me a B prediction, whilst most of these unis require B's in maths

will I still have a chance? I know I can achieve a B personally but not sure whether unis will even consider me

my gcse's are A*, 6A'S 4B'S
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Lol, I am in same position as you except I got BBC as predicted grades. I am applying to Kent that wants ABB.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sakuraton
Lol, I am in same position as you except I got BBC as predicted grades. I am applying to Kent that wants ABB.

yeah I had those grades then asked my economics and maths to change but only economics changed :frown:
Reply 3
Nothing trivial about that at all, you'll get offers and it's just up to you to meet them
Original post by Rabadon
Nothing trivial about that at all, you'll get offers and it's just up to you to meet them

Okay, thanks :smile:
Okay so today I talked about my UCAS application with my referee and he said that if my uni grade requirements don't match my predicted grades then the universities won't even look at my application? I think I'm getting predicted AAB so I'm okay, but is this true?
Original post by kingLAWZA
Universities like Cardiff, Exeter and Surrey all want ABB

Economics - A
Physics - B
Maths - C

the maths department is too strict in my school and after a poor test result that I revised weeks for they refuse to give me a B prediction, whilst most of these unis require B's in maths

will I still have a chance? I know I can achieve a B personally but not sure whether unis will even consider me

my gcse's are A*, 6A'S 4B'S

what did u get at AS as they will be a huge factor and also what are u applying to do as depending on competitiveness you may be okay as some less competitive courses may show leniency
Original post by Fleming1928
Okay so today I talked about my UCAS application with my referee and he said that if my uni grade requirements don't match my predicted grades then the universities won't even look at my application? I think I'm getting predicted AAB so I'm okay, but is this true?

My tutor said applying for one grade above will most likely be considered.
Original post by United1892
My tutor said one grade above should be fine.

Damn, I pick two grades up. Time to convince my teachers to up my predicted grade.

Yeah that's fine, my referee told me that because some people who got like DDE at AS want to apply for ABB courses, getting predicted As and Bs is a bit much in this case, but one grade sounds reasonable.
Reply 10
Original post by youreanutter
what did u get at AS as they will be a huge factor and also what are u applying to do as depending on competitiveness you may be okay as some less competitive courses may show leniency

BBCD hence poor predictions and CompSci which has risen in popularity

B econ, (mid)
B phys (mid)
C maths (med>low)
D bio (1 mark off C)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11

did he say how many you should apply to with one above? cos i know no compsci courses with ABC
Reply 12
Yeah that's fine, my referee told me that because some people who got like DDE at AS want to apply for ABB courses, getting predicted As and Bs is a bit much in this case, but one grade sounds reasonable.

course is compsci and many unis say they need the B in maths this is my dilemma

I hope it's fine it's been sent off now.

My school keeps lecturing people on that in every assembly at the moment.

what are you applying for?
did he say how many you should apply to with one above? cos i know no compsci courses with ABC

1. have a look for any with 300 points, I think there are some because one of my friends looking at them.
Reply 15
1. have a look for any with 300 points, I think there are some because one of my friends looking at them.

is there any way specifically to look for courses with 300 points?
course is compsci and many unis say they need the B in maths this is my dilemma

If you got C at AS then you should have a predicted B.
Don't wprry too much, it's only one grade below. Have you talked about this at uni open days? For unpopular courses (have you checked whether your course was in clearing this year?) unis can be very lenient as they can't afford to have a class of about 5 people because they're the only ones who got the required grades.
is there any way specifically to look for courses with 300 points?

No, youll just have to go through courses on the UCAS website.
Reply 18
No, youll just have to go through courses on the UCAS website.

ok thanks!
I hope it's fine it's been sent off now.

My school keeps lecturing people on that in every assembly at the moment.

what are you applying for?

I'm applying for History and Russian (joint honours) at Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham and UCL (All want AAB-ABB).

What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest