The Student Room Group

Geography or Psycholgy Degree?

I need to decide what course to do for uni, and im finding it hard to pick between geography and psychology. I got an A in geography and a B in psychology, help me choose! Which one would be better for jobs after uni?
I'm applying for geography, so my opinion will be biased. Geography provides you with transferable skills that other subjects don't teach you. Population demographics, 3D modelling, GIS, making predictions, essay writing... Since geography crosses into both science and humanities, it also offers a wide range of career paths. But as I said, I'm biased :wink:

Go with whatever you enjoy most - you'll be stuck with it for 3-4 years!
Original post by dramaqueen28
I need to decide what course to do for uni, and im finding it hard to pick between geography and psychology. I got an A in geography and a B in psychology, help me choose! Which one would be better for jobs after uni?

Hi am also biased as I am currently studying Geography. But I did study Psychology at A-level and I also have friends who do psychology.

Geography equips you with skills which employers like, such as GIS and Excel. Also at Reading we do a lot of practicals and teamwork, so this also gives you skills to take into the workplace. They also run lots of careers based skills workshops and networking so you can meet with professionals throughout your degree.

Psychology also applies you with skills such as lab practices and statistics. But I personally feel geography offers a broader range of skills that could be used in more jobs and careers.

But the main piece of advice I can give you, is do something which truly interests you, because it will make all the reading and independent work you have to do more interesting and less like a chore. Also when looking at universities look at their modules because some offer less skill based modules than others.

Hopefully I've helped you out a bit and feel free to ask me any other questions.

Emma :smile:
2nd year Human and Physical Geography

Quick Reply

Latest