The Student Room Group

Should The UK take more refugees?

Poll

Shuold the Uk take more refugees after the 20,000 already coming?

hello,

David Cameron, has said we are taking 20,000 Refugees. This is plenty, why should the UK take more when other countries take far less. There are other ways to help rather than take up more of our already overcrowded nation. we do not have the space or resources to accommodate more people.

what is your view?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hell no
We can take over 200,000 EU migrants in a year but we can't take more than 20,000 refugees. That's brilliant.
No...
90% of the 'refugees' are economic migrants
Reply 4
Original post by United1892
We can take over 200,000 EU migrants in a year but we can't take more than 20,000 refugees. That's brilliant.

we have no control over EU migration, and 20,000 is EXTRA people, we are not allowed to lower economic migration so we can take more refugees, that is the problem.
I agree with you, but for different reasons.

Taking in so many thousands of Muslims will obviously have harmful social effects, whilst there is also the security risk of ISIS members or sympathisers coming through. We're already seeing the damage Merkel's holier-than-thou attitude is having in Germany and that will only get worse as time goes on.

There's also the issue how many of those coming are actually refugees and how many of them are exploiting the situation. That's why Cameron's policy of only taking from camps is a good one. Our borders should remain firmly shut and no-one should be allowed in through Calais.

Taking in 20,000 and being the biggest aid donor in Europe is more than enough. The UK government's responsibility is first and foremost to its people and it is not in the best interests of the people of this country to take in any more Syrians.
Reply 6
Original post by AlexS101
No...

Agree 100%
Original post by saxsan4
we have no control over EU migration, and 20,000 is EXTRA people, we are not allowed to lower economic migration so we can take more refugees, that is the problem.

We can however leave.
Original post by AlexS101
No...

Got any evidence for that mate?
Reply 9
We can however leave.

not for the next 4 years though
Original post by tengentoppa
I agree with you, but for different reasons.

Taking in so many thousands of Muslims will obviously have harmful social effects, whilst there is also the security risk of ISIS members or sympathisers coming through. We're already seeing the damage Merkel's holier-than-thou attitude is having in Germany and that will only get worse as time goes on.

There's also the issue how many of those coming are actually refugees and how many of them are exploiting the situation. That's why Cameron's policy of only taking from camps is a good one. Our borders should remain firmly shut and no-one should be allowed in through Calais.

Taking in 20,000 and being the biggest aid donor in Europe is more than enough. The UK government's responsibility is first and foremost to its people and it is not in the best interests of the people of this country to take in any more Syrians.

Why just Muslim people? I hope you know that not every Muslim is an extremist
Reply 11
Got any evidence for that mate?

here it is:

VIKTOR ORBÁN, Hungary’s prime minister, says the β€œoverwhelming majority” of migrants in Europe are not refugees but are merely seeking a better life. Robert Fico, his Slovak counterpart, says up to 95% are economic migrants.
Original post by saxsan4
not for the next 4 years though

True.
Reply 13
Original post by chantalc
Why just Muslim people? I hope you know that not every Muslim is an extremist

can only speak for myself, but every muslin i have met was a horrible person
Original post by saxsan4

In what way?
Reply 15
Original post by chantalc
In what way?

ive been called:

''A pervert''
''you should hang yourself''
''Discussing paedophile''
''Going against 'Allah' and should be stoned''

just some of the things said by British Muslims who were not extremists
Original post by saxsan4
here it is:

VIKTOR ORBÁN, Hungary’s prime minister, says the β€œoverwhelming majority” of migrants in Europe are not refugees but are merely seeking a better life. Robert Fico, his Slovak counterpart, says up to 95% are economic migrants.

That's opinion not quantitative fact. Your claim is 90% prove it. Also links for these comments as well.
Original post by saxsan4

Personally I haven't met a single muslim who's been horrible .
Reply 18
That's opinion not quantitative fact. Your claim is 90% prove it. Also links for these comments as well.

here is the article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3240010/Number-refugees-arriving-Europe-soars-85-year-just-one-five-war-torn-Syria.html
Absolutely yes. We have the room to take many more and it is our duty to do our bit and help out.

Quick Reply

Latest