The Student Room Group

Cambridge vs Oxford: Freaking out!!!

Hey guys!I really, really need help with deciding which university to apply to: Oxford or Cambridge. The deadline is barely two days away and I'm suddenly having doubts about my choice. I have two questions that need to be urgently answered please!!!
1. My first concern is financial aid. I'm entirely depending on scholarships. So which university will be more generous in scholarships? Cambridge or Oxford?

2. A less important concern is: I wouldn't be able to travel overseas for any interviews (I live in a little known south east Asian country where these unis don't conduct interviews). Is Cambridge unlikely to conduct an interview over Skype? What about Oxford?

Please guys answer these questions because I'm really freaking out! (deadline is 15 Oct!!!) :afraid:
Thank you guys in advance!
When you say you're entirely dependent on scholarships, how seriously do you mean it? If you're completely serious about that, I doubt applying to either is a good choice. They do have generous financial aid for those who can't afford it but, on top of paying international fees much higher than the Home/EU fee of £9 000/year, you're likely to be charged a few thousands pounds' worth of college fees as well, the exact amount of which will vary by college.

Bottom line: it's unlikely that, if you get in, you could get through the whole degree without paying a single penny. Oxbridge are rich, heavily funded universities, but they're not that rich.

From the Cambridge AT's thread, it seems that Cambridge very much prefer it if you visit Cambridge for the interview, although I've heard that Skype interviews are also a(n) (less likely) option. Not sure about Oxford generally but I've read a few of the subject-specific Oxford websites and it's mentioned as an option for interviewing overseas students.

I suggest that if you're thinking of applying to either, you decide on the basis of how much you like the sound of each course and whether you'd be happy living in either place for however long your chosen degree takes.

Original post by methewthomson
Hey guys!I really, really need help with deciding which university to apply to: Oxford or Cambridge. The deadline is barely two days away and I'm suddenly having doubts about my choice. I have two questions that need to be urgently answered please!!!
1. My first concern is financial aid. I'm entirely depending on scholarships. So which university will be more generous in scholarships? Cambridge or Oxford?

2. A less important concern is: I wouldn't be able to travel overseas for any interviews (I live in a little known south east Asian country where these unis don't conduct interviews). Is Cambridge unlikely to conduct an interview over Skype? What about Oxford?

Please guys answer these questions because I'm really freaking out! (deadline is 15 Oct!!!) :afraid:
Original post by BoogieWoogie97
When you say you're entirely dependent on scholarships, how seriously do you mean it? If you're completely serious about that, I doubt applying to either is a good choice. They do have generous financial aid for those who can't afford it but, on top of paying international fees much higher than the Home/EU fee of £9 000/year, you're likely to be charged a few thousands pounds' worth of college fees as well, the exact amount of which will vary by college.

Bottom line: it's unlikely that, if you get in, you could get through the whole degree without paying a single penny. Oxbridge are rich, heavily funded universities, but they're not that rich.

From the Cambridge AT's thread, it seems that Cambridge very much prefer it if you visit Cambridge for the interview, although I've heard that Skype interviews are also a(n) (less likely) option. Not sure about Oxford generally but I've read a few of the subject-specific Oxford websites and it's mentioned as an option for interviewing overseas students.

I suggest that if you're thinking of applying to either, you decide on the basis of how much you like the sound of each course and whether you'd be happy living in either place for however long your chosen degree takes.

Thanks so much for replying!
I'm seriously depending on scholarships because there are some full scholarships available for my country. My preference (course-wise) is Cambridge, but I'm discouraged by the prospect of travelling to Cambridge.

If I do apply to Cambridge, are there specific colleges that conduct interviews over Skype? Has anyone got any experience with this kind of thing?
Sorry I meant yes-I've heard cambridge do Skype interviews but not always.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4

My maths teacher was fighting in a war in the south east and got into Cambridge :P

I don't know about grants you should research this. Don't worry about interviews both will use skype!
Original post by Idomaths
My maths teacher was fighting in a war in the south east and got into Cambridge :P

I don't know about grants you should research this. Don't worry about interviews both will use skype!

Thanks a ton for replying! I actually finished researching the hell out of the Cambridge and oxford scholarships, and it seems both are good enough. Are you sure about skype interviews, though? Do all Cambridge colleges use these? I've read that Kings doesn't (it says so on their website). Does that mean I should apply to some other college?

Btw, your math teacher is hilarious lol. I hope he survived the war.:wink:
Reply 6
Thanks a ton for replying! I actually finished researching the hell out of the Cambridge and oxford scholarships, and it seems both are good enough. Are you sure about skype interviews, though? Do all Cambridge colleges use these? I've read that Kings doesn't (it says so on their website). Does that mean I should apply to some other college?

Btw, your math teacher is hilarious lol. I hope he survived the war.:wink:

Even if you did apply to King's another college's admissions tutors could interview you. Which college do you like the look of?
I'm afraid I don't know if certain colleges are more likely to offer Skype interviews. What you could do is go on Google and search 'Ask an Admissions Tutor - 28th September to 2 October.' That thread, despite the dates in the title, was running the last time I checked it (few days ago). Failing that, you could still PM the guy who runs it, who's an AT for Christ's. You'll need to be quick though, because, as you say, the application deadline is practically upon us.

I would like you the thread but my computer is very slow right now so I can't. :frown:

I'm seriously depending on scholarships because there are some full scholarships available for my country. My preference (course-wise) is Cambridge, but I'm discouraged by the prospect of travelling to Cambridge.

If I do apply to Cambridge, are there specific colleges that conduct interviews over Skype? Has anyone got any experience with this kind of thing?
Even if you did apply to King's another college's admissions tutors could interview you. Which college do you like the look of?

I'd been thinking I'd apply to Kings, then I started having doubts when I read it doesn't offer skype interviews. But I guess if some other college could interview me regardless, I should stick with Kings.
Original post by BoogieWoogie97
I'm afraid I don't know if certain colleges are more likely to offer Skype interviews. What you could do is go on Google and search 'Ask an Admissions Tutor - 28th September to 2 October.' That thread, despite the dates in the title, was running the last time I checked it (few days ago). Failing that, you could still PM the guy who runs it, who's an AT for Christ's. You'll need to be quick though, because, as you say, the application deadline is practically upon us.

I would like you the thread but my computer is very slow right now so I can't. :frown:

Thanks!! Asking an admissions tutor seems like a great idea. I'll search the thread and let you know how it turns out.
Reply 10
I've lived in Cambridge for 5 years now, been to a prep school as well as living in the very centre. I know Cambridge like the back of my hand and would be more than happy to help you choose a nice college?
Reply 11
I have left you a post. Feel free to ask anything :smile:
Thanks!! Asking an admissions tutor seems like a great idea. I'll search the thread and let you know how it turns out.
Sorry if I'm being slow here, but are you being facetious by pretending that the OP means the city and not the university? xD I don't mean to offend - just looks like you're talking about the city (unless you're doing medicine) rather than the university. :smile:

Original post by HugoW
I've lived in Cambridge for 5 years now, been to a prep school as well as living in the very centre. I know Cambridge like the back of my hand and would be more than happy to help you choose a nice college?
Original post by HugoW

Hey, thanks for replying! I'm really stuck on finding out if Cambridge colleges offer skype interviews for overseas applicants who can't travel to Cambridge. Are there specific colleges that do that? I can't seem to find it on their websites.
Reply 14
Hey, thanks for replying! I'm really stuck on finding out if Cambridge colleges offer skype interviews for overseas applicants who can't travel to Cambridge. Are there specific colleges that do that? I can't seem to find it on their websites.
I would say your best bet would be to check with the University themselves.

This link tells you all the ways in which you are able to contact them: https://www.cam.ac.uk/contact-the-university
Reply 15

Cambridge hardly ever do Skype.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was he a member of the Wokingham Liberation Front, the Surbiton Provisional Golf Club or the despotic Eastbourne Borough Council? :tongue:

I asked the Christ AT this same question and he said:
(Original post by Christ's
Admissions)
It is very rare for Skype interviews
to be done for undergraduate
admissions. We have done one in
the last two admissions rounds at
Christ's and I do not think that
between them the colleges do
more than a handful every year.
You can ask if the college is willing
to do a skype interview but I am
afraid that in most cases the
answer will be no and you will
need to come to Cambridge for an
interview.

Thanks, I asked because when I do apply it
might be hard for me to travel to the UK.
bekinwari

Yes, unfortunately that is the case for a lot
of applicants from overseas. Skype
interviews are very difficult to arrange for
our academics and are generally quite
unsatisfactory for what we are trying to
achieve in an undergraduate interview.
There is also the potential that the person
you are talking to over Skype is not the
person who has applied.
I know that Oxford do use Skype more than
Cambridge, partly because they do not hold
interviews overseas as Cambridge does.
Christ's Admissions

(Original post by bekinwari)
So, if a candidate is unable to
appear for interview and a
request for skype interview is
denied. Does this mean he is
automatically rejected?

Essentially yes, because the candidate will
have been offered an interview and turned
it down. If it is simply a matter of dates,
however, then it is possible for the college
to place an application in the Winter Pool
with the offer of an interview at the original
college in January at the time of the pool
interviews and for another college to
interview them as well if they wish. This
happens reasonably frequently.
As a rule, however, candidates must be
interviewed before an offer is made.
Christ's Admissions
Original post by bekinwari
I asked the Christ AT this same question and he said:
(Original post by Christ's
Admissions)
It is very rare for Skype interviews
to be done for undergraduate
admissions. We have done one in
the last two admissions rounds at
Christ's and I do not think that
between them the colleges do
more than a handful every year.
You can ask if the college is willing
to do a skype interview but I am
afraid that in most cases the
answer will be no and you will
need to come to Cambridge for an
interview.

Thanks, I asked because when I do apply it
might be hard for me to travel to the UK.
bekinwari

Yes, unfortunately that is the case for a lot
of applicants from overseas. Skype
interviews are very difficult to arrange for
our academics and are generally quite
unsatisfactory for what we are trying to
achieve in an undergraduate interview.
There is also the potential that the person
you are talking to over Skype is not the
person who has applied.
I know that Oxford do use Skype more than
Cambridge, partly because they do not hold
interviews overseas as Cambridge does.
Christ's Admissions

(Original post by bekinwari)
So, if a candidate is unable to
appear for interview and a
request for skype interview is
denied. Does this mean he is
automatically rejected?

Essentially yes, because the candidate will
have been offered an interview and turned
it down. If it is simply a matter of dates,
however, then it is possible for the college
to place an application in the Winter Pool
with the offer of an interview at the original
college in January at the time of the pool
interviews and for another college to
interview them as well if they wish. This
happens reasonably frequently.
As a rule, however, candidates must be
interviewed before an offer is made.
Christ's Admissions

Thanks for replying!
I think Oxford's more generous but that they do Skype interviews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending