The Student Room Group

How do I ask to go on the pill?

I am planning on going inter railing for a month this summer and I don't want to have my period when I am gone...
My period is already quite irregular so the pill would make it more regular too
I want to get on it soon too because I heard that it takes a couple of months to adjust to the pill.. Is that true?
How do I ask my mum to go on the pill? I know I could go to the doctors myself but she'd find out anyway so I'd rather tell her before I went to the doctors

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sazalaz
I am planning on going inter railing for a month this summer and I don't want to have my period when I am gone...
I want to get on it soon too because I heard that it takes a couple of months to adjust to the pill.. Is that true?
How do I ask my mum to go on the pill? I know I could go to the doctors myself but she'd find out anyway so I'd rather tell her before I went to the doctors

If not you're 18 years or older, you shouldn't. In any case, aren't pills available OTC?
Just tell her the reasons why. Go to your doctor and explain that your periods are irregular and you'd like to sort them out as they're making things difficult for you. They won't mind, they put young girls on for the same reason and they do take a month or two to work. I've been on on it for over a year and it honestly makes your life so much easier :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by multiratiunculae
If not you're 18 years or older, you shouldn't. In any case, aren't pills available OTC?

I don't think you can but I'd rather have it prescribed because I feel it's probably safer. It is very common for girls under eighteen to be on the pill, I'm seventeen so I don't think I'm too young. My periods often skip months and sometimes come twice in the same month so I think it would be best to go on it. Why shouldn't you go on it if you're under eighteen??
Original post by sazalaz
I don't think you can but I'd rather have it prescribed because I feel it's probably safer. It is very common for girls under eighteen to be on the pill, I'm seventeen so I don't think I'm too young. My periods often skip months and sometimes come twice in the same month so I think it would be best to go on it. Why shouldn't you go on it if you're under eighteen??

I have no idea, I'm no doctor.

You're not sexually active, are you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I have no idea, I'm no doctor.

You're sexually active, are you?

No.
You can go on it if you're under 18 as long as your doctor prescribes it, and you don't have to be sexually active. The doctor won't ask you anyway since you're over the legal age although you may have to do a pee in a bottle and answer some questions about your family history.
Original post by sazalaz
No.

I figured that.

I meant to phrase that using "not".
Reply 8
I figured that.

I meant to phrase that using "not".

Haha! I thought you were Scottish and pronouncing it how they do up here
Reply 9
Original post by bellalalaxo
You can go on it if you're under 18 as long as your doctor prescribes it, and you don't have to be sexually active. The doctor won't ask you anyway since you're over the legal age although you may have to do a pee in a bottle and answer some questions about your family history.

Thank you! This is very helpful! :smile:
Original post by sazalaz

Just make your own doctor's appointment, if you're 16 or over then you can go on your own and your mother doesn't have a right to know. I mean if you want to tell her then just tell her the direct reason, walk into the doctor's and ask directly, they're not going to ask you why you want to go on it they'll just check that you are suitable to be on it.

It may be worth mentioning that the pill is not guaranteed to stop a period altogether if you skip the placebo week/week with no pill. I was on the combined pill for a year and my period started before my placebo week most of the time, I had 2 week long periods multiple times. I came off the pill because the oestrogen made me crazy, I was basically depressed in the last 6 months I was on it. I'm now on the progesterone only pill and it is a million times better.

That's bullsh*t don't scare the girl if you have no clue what you're talking about

You don't even have to be 16 to get it, let alone 18, you don't need a prescription, you go to your nearest walk in sex health clinic, register with them while you wait for your turn to talk to the nurse, then they'll call you in and you just say you want to go on the pill, she'll check your weight height blood pressure etc and she'll give you a 3 month supply as a starter to see how you get on. If you're alright you can come back after that time and you get a years supply at a time.
Original post by RonnieRJ
That's bullsh*t don't scare the girl if you have no clue what you're talking about

You don't even have to be 16 to get it, let alone 18, you don't need a prescription, you go to your nearest walk in sex health clinic, register with them while you wait for your turn to talk to the nurse, then they'll call you in and you just say you want to go on the pill, she'll check your weight height blood pressure etc and she'll give you a 3 month supply as a starter to see how you get on. If you're alright you can come back after that time and you get a years supply at a time.

You're rather attractive. I therefore agree with you.

You seem to know what you're talking about, so high-five your boyfriend from me, he's done well.
(edited 8 years ago)
if you want it just so you don't get your period you can take a different drug from the pill (I cant remember what its called apart from that it starts with an n) and it delays your period for as long as you take it, and then when you stop taking it, you get your period. Its really good if you just want to not have a period temporarily
Original post by RonnieRJ

I think I put before that you can be young (meaning as long as you have a period, they don't just put you on it for contraception) and I just meant that it has to be approved by a medical professional, which they can do at a clinic. Sorry for any confusion >.<
You can't just put yourself on it basically as some people need to be checked to be put on the right one. Someone I know got denied the pill due to migraines and probably other things. You just have to get a check up every year and they'll weigh you and ask questions to make sure everything is okay :smile:
Original post by fruitpastilles
if you want it just so you don't get your period you can take a different drug from the pill (I cant remember what its called apart from that it starts with an n) and it delays your period for as long as you take it, and then when you stop taking it, you get your period. Its really good if you just want to not have a period temporarily

OP could do this but the only problem is that if she's irregular it will be difficult as you have to start taking it 3 days ish before you'd get your period and she might not know
One of my friends got acne as a side effect of going on the pill

It doesn't happen to everyone though

She was having the most horrible period pains (like she'd actually buckle because the pains were that intense), she went and explained it to the doctor and asked whether they could provide her with the pill to help minimize the pain as much as possible.
I think I put before that you can be young (meaning as long as you have a period, they don't just put you on it for contraception) and I just meant that it has to be approved by a medical professional, which they can do at a clinic. Sorry for any confusion >.<
You can't just put yourself on it basically as some people need to be checked to be put on the right one. Someone I know got denied the pill due to migraines and probably other things. You just have to get a check up every year and they'll weigh you and ask questions to make sure everything is okay :smile:

All it is is just a checkup and they ask you a few things to make sure the pill won't be more likely to cause blood clots and etc.
And yeah that's why they give a years supply at a time
Whereas all you females are experts on the pill, how many of you can do useful things, like prove De Moivre's theorem?

Me 1 : Females 0
Just go to your doctor, if its just for interrailing your mum doesnt really need to know
It really is great for irregular periods and pain, i used to have really irregular ones and i went on the pill for about 2 years and now im off it (im 17) theyre like clockwork (touch wood) its great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest