The Student Room Group

Equation of motion

A ball is dropped from an initial height of 1.2m. After hitting the ground the ball rebounds to a height of 0.8m. The ball is in contact with the ground for 0.16s. Using the acceleration of free fall calculate:
a) the speed of the ball immediately before hitting the ground, am I right in saying that s=1.2, u=0, a=-9.81
b) the speed of the ball immediately after hitting the ground - for this one I don't know which values fit in suvat
c) the acceleration of the ball while it is in contact with the contact with the ground, would this be 9.81 and positive
Reply 1
Original post by Custardcream000
A ball is dropped from an initial height of 1.2m. After hitting the ground the ball rebounds to a height of 0.8m. The ball is in contact with the ground for 0.16s. Using the acceleration of free fall calculate:
a) the speed of the ball immediately before hitting the ground, am I right in saying that s=1.2, u=0, a=-9.81
b) the speed of the ball immediately after hitting the ground - for this one I don't know which values fit in suvat
c) the acceleration of the ball while it is in contact with the contact with the ground, would this be 9.81 and positive

For (a) take positive as downwards, so thr accelerstion should be positive.

For (b) take u as the value of your v from the previous question, but this time the acceleration is negative (as we are taking the positive direction to be downwards) and your s value is 0.8m

Im sure for the last question it would still be 9.8 as theres no other force acting on the ball except gravity.

well it's interested in speed rather than velocity so you don't need to worry too much about your sign convention as you just need the magnitude.

b/ at maximum height it should be fairly clear that vertical velocity is zero - this is your final velocity. s is 0.8m

c/ likely to be higher than 9.81 since the ball needs to slow down to a stop from your first speed result and then accelerate up to your second speed result in the opposite direction... all in a comparatively short time.
Original post by Joinedup
well it's interested in speed rather than velocity so you don't need to worry too much about your sign convention as you just need the magnitude.

b/ at maximum height it should be fairly clear that vertical velocity is zero - this is your final velocity. s is 0.8m

c/ likely to be higher than 9.81 since the ball needs to slow down to a stop from your first speed result and then accelerate up to your second speed result in the opposite direction... all in a comparatively short time.

So for c would s=0, u=be the velocity before ground and v=be the velocity after ground and t be 16
So for c would s=0, u=be the velocity before ground and v=be the velocity after ground and t be 16

acceleration is just Δv/Δt, so if you've already got 2 velocities and a time interval you're home and dry already.

you can't really say anything at all about the value of s at the moment but don't assume it's zero, the ball has to be doing accelerating for the 0.16 seconds... and it can't accelerate for a non-zero amount of time and also stay in the same place

Quick Reply

Latest