The Student Room Group

Considering dropping out of university!

So I started University about 3 weeks ago, and at the moment I am seriously considering dropping out. Out of the whole time I've been here, I've felt really down and only happy for a very very short amount of time. It's mainly because im so homesick. My room and flat just doesn't feel like home and although I like my flatmates, I can't see myself becoming really good friends with them. The course I'm doing is Childhood Studies, however I'm only really enjoying one of my modules and find it really hard to find the energy to turn up for any of the others. Also, I don't really know if I want to work with children any more. My main concern is I don't know what I want to do, and I don't want to drop out and be a burden on my family because they've been supportive in getting me here over the past year, through taking me to open days, to helping me through exam stress to moving me in a few weeks ago. Im missing them so much and I know that when I go home over the weekend I'm going to find it so hard to get on the train back here. I honestly don't know what to do I just feel so sad :frown:
Aaaww, sounds crappy.
Do you have anxiety issues? Maybe depression? It could just be because you haven't settled in yet.
It's normal to get homesick so i'd ride it out for a little bit longer.
Apparently it's a good idea if you join societies so you can meet more people. I'm sure if you had some mates you'd feel at home. It's only been three weeks of course you haven't fully settled in! Especially if you're used to being around your family.
Good luck x
maybe consider moving back home and changing courses? not sure how it works moving back home but I know you can change courses if there are places on other courses
Original post by EloiseJ96
So I started University about 3 weeks ago, and at the moment I am seriously considering dropping out. Out of the whole time I've been here, I've felt really down and only happy for a very very short amount of time. It's mainly because im so homesick. My room and flat just doesn't feel like home and although I like my flatmates, I can't see myself becoming really good friends with them. The course I'm doing is Childhood Studies, however I'm only really enjoying one of my modules and find it really hard to find the energy to turn up for any of the others. Also, I don't really know if I want to work with children any more. My main concern is I don't know what I want to do, and I don't want to drop out and be a burden on my family because they've been supportive in getting me here over the past year, through taking me to open days, to helping me through exam stress to moving me in a few weeks ago. Im missing them so much and I know that when I go home over the weekend I'm going to find it so hard to get on the train back here. I honestly don't know what to do I just feel so sad :frown:

I feel the same as you. My flat does not feel like home at all. I still feel that I haven't fully moved out of my home yet. I've been here for a month now and I'm still very homesick. I think the best thing that keeps my mind of home is to be around people, your flatmates maybe. I don't see myself being best mates with them either but I talk to them whenever I can and join them on their outings or whatever. As long as you're keeping busy and not staying in your room the whole time, you'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 4
It's normal to be homesick when you move out for the first time. You should definitely not make any decisions now and first try to really embrace your new life. Have you considered joining any clubs/ societies etc? Have you talked to the people in your classes? Everything will be a lot easier if you've made some new friends, and they don't necessarily have to be the people you live with. And because you haven't moved so far away as to not be able to visit your hometown during weekends, you can stay in contact easily. Definitely don't drop out before you have seriously attempted to succeed in your course!
Reply 5
Me too. I've lost all motivation to do anything. My experience at uni has been terrible too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 5 weeks into my course when I realised I don't want to pursue History and I had no interest in the subject at all. I'm currently liaising with the university about dropping out. If you don't like your course or don't know what you want to do in life then i'd advise taking a year out getting a crappy job and using the time to think about what you really want to do. No point wasting time and money on a course that you're not interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending