The Student Room Group

Depression

Short Version: Uni making me depressed and losing motivation for everything in life such as gym/study. Main reason I went to uni is because of ex girlfriend. 3 weeks before my final exams, should I just not go (my current grades are at best a pass or C which is 45-60%) and get back to my life of exercising and working which makes me happy or should I just hold out and finish my first year then leave?

First year at university after taking 2 gap years and working full time. 2015 has been a pretty big year for me due to personal issues with my family and breaking off a 3 year relationship with my girlfriend. First semester was good my grades were at a D/HD average by the end of the semester. Half way through first semester I was having problems with my relationship so I decided to break it off and my study stagnated. Thought I would of failed but as I said grades remained strong. During the 5 week break at the end of the semester, I had a lot of time to think and I started getting back to normal and really enjoying my life by doing the things I love such as going to the gym and enjoying life in general.

Semester 2 rolls up and it becomes noticeably difficult and harder. I cope for the first 3 weeks but after that I bomb out. At about week 7 I get worse and worse losing motivation for everything and I felt that university was inhibiting doing the things I love like going to the gym and exercising. I have never felt like this before in my life even after I broke up with my girlfriend and I have always been pationate about going to the gym and exercising but now it's all gone. I am a very social person who has a quite a few good and real friends but I am not exactly sure what has brought this massive wave of demotivation. I literally don't care about uni anymore and no matter how hard I try to study I just can't. My final exams are in 3 weeks and I am really thinking of not going and just moving on with my life by returning to the gym and starting to work again.

(Extra info I left out:smile:
I was never the studious type of person even in high school, it was mainly my ex girlfriend who convinced me to try out university and I feel that me going to uni was only to please her and not really for myself and now that we are no longer together I feel it's pointless. Full time student going 4 days a week Monday-Thursday 8am-5pm, this includes travel time to and from uni (total of 2-3 hours) I work part time Saturday/Sunday 6 hours each day. Also living with my grandfather and support myself such as buying my own food and cooking my meals ect.
Drop out. Do what you like doing.

Quick Reply

Latest