The Student Room Group
Reply 1
you can apply for medicine as a graduate, but make sure you get at least CCC in your A Levels as some universities ask for grads applying to have at least that, I think now they are starting to ask for BBB and above. Also, grads applying usually have to have 2.1 or above. Very few accept 2.2 I think.

I think a grad will be able to clarify things further!

All the best :smile:
Reply 2
Hi All,

Basically I have chosen to study Criminal Justice Studies and was wondering whether if I complete it, there would be a post-grad degree I could take to become a physician?

I have had a change of heart with regards now becoming an Accident and Emergency Doctor, something which I have always wanted to do, but never had confidence myself.

Any advice from where I can go...
You'll find it hard though, many graduates nowadays have great A level grades and have science degrees from Cambridge or the like! Not to mention the price tag. However it's all up to you!
Reply 4
****! It's over!
Reply 5
Hey,
Firstly, don't worry about what specialty you want to go into at the minute. If you ever do study medicine, you'll almost certainly change your mind.

To answer your question, yes there are medicine courses you can do as a graduate. It takes 4 years, but entry to these courses are very very competitive (normally at least 20 applicants per place). You normally need a 2:i degree

As an alternative, you can apply to a standard 5 year course to do medicine as a second undergraduate degree. If you are a graduate, some med schools can be lenient with the entry requirements, altho your A-levels may hold you back. Also you may want to do extra A-evels in biology and chemistry.

Finally, to get onto any med course, you need to have some work-experience of what it's like to be a doctor and you need to have done a fair ammount of voluntary work helping others. Check the med wiki for more info
No sorry it's certainly not if you forge a way for yourself. I just wanted you to know it's not all happy go lucky dawdle into medical school. There's stiff competition out there and many great candidates are rejected.
Reply 7
lol not the majority have degrees from cambridge and the like!! lots of people apply as grads coz they didn't quite make the grades at A Levels and so will definitely have grades less than AAB! Don't worry woody, you're not the only one!

Also, I know someone who did computer science (or something similar) at Plymouth University (not exactly Cambridge is it?) and now he's studying medicine!

Although grades play a part in it, so do you. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen one way or another :smile:
Reply 8
rozzy
lol not the majority have degrees from cambridge and the like!! lots of people apply as grads coz they didn't quite make the grades at A Levels and so will definitely have grades less than AAB! Don't worry woody, you're not the only one!

Also, I know someone who did computer science (or something similar) at Plymouth University (not exactly Cambridge is it?) and now he's studying medicine!

Although grades play a part in it, so do you. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen one way or another :smile:

I know the same person too. :wink:
Ok, but that's probably quite rare! I'm just trying to be realistic, not criticising him!
If I were you I'd concentrate on the criminal justice degree for now. A lot can change in a few years - you could find yourself completely changing tack and wanting to do something else. Plus if you view it as a stepping stone into medicine, you could become disillusioned with the subject and lose your motivation, possibly never finishing it. Med schools might not take too kindly to a drop-out - it shows a certain lack of commitment.

The option's there. For now, focus on a bit of work experience and on getting a 2:1. Best of luck.
You have absolutely no scientific education post-16. I think that may be somewhat of a barrier. You haven't even started your degree yet - a bit too soon to be having 'grass is greener' syndrome.
On that note...is that single award or double award science you have at GCSE?
Reply 13
ChemistBoy
You have absolutely no scientific education post-16. I think that may be somewhat of a barrier. You haven't even started your degree yet - a bit too soon to be having 'grass is greener' syndrome.

Unfortuneatly this is very true -

OP - come out with ideally a 1st, possibly retake A levels in Chem and Bio - then you'll have options open. Take it one step at a time.
You want to be an A&E doctor? Fleeting images of ER and Casualty rush by here :wink:

Go and get some work experience in a hospital, find out whether its really for you. You might be surprised at the amount of boring things being an A&E doctor involves, admitting the 10th case of COPD and form filling that they bring with it!
Reply 15
Please it's nothing like that, my Dad is an A & E Doctor, he tells me its not great at all, and says I should move into Law, so therefore thats whats prompted my decision.

It's a double award, also, in GCSE Science
Ah my bad, its just that you see a lot of the people mentioned in my last post there :wink:.

Theres the postgrad medicine route you can do, but that usually requires a science based first degree. Have a look into the foundation programmes that unis offer...basically a year of pre medicine where they get you up to scratch on the necessary science, might be an option for you!
Reply 17
Superb mate, there's no point going to Dad, cos he is just biased about me going into law, and will give me all the derogative points of Medicine, lol!

Latest

Trending

Trending