The Student Room Group

Do you get a better chance of oxford/cambridge if you only apply to one place.

I'm just curious. I know a friend who did it for Cambridge, but we all knew she'd get in anyway.
So if you write a personal statement tailored to oxford/cambridge, are they likely to look highly on you for an interview?
Original post by Floccilou
I'm just curious. I know a friend who did it for Cambridge, but we all knew she'd get in anyway.
So if you write a personal statement tailored to oxford/cambridge, are they likely to look highly on you for an interview?

The other four universities don't see if/where you have applied, so they won't know. Naming a university in your PS will alienate anywhere else. Simply saying how much you want to go to Oxbridge in your ps will not make you any more likely to get a place. They select on academic merit, not flattery.
Original post by Floccilou

I am not sure they would but it is highly dangerous. If they turn you down and you have to apply elsewhere the same PS would then go to the other unis showing them you are not interested in their unis
You're best not to tailor your personal statement to one particular university, not only could it rule out any other choices, there is also a danger than the admissions tutor from the university in question will not be impressed because it shows you might be more interested in the university than the course itself, or it could just lead to them questioning your logic. Best to keep it general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending