The Student Room Group

Stephen Fry calls it quits on QI

Scroll to see replies

C'mon now everyone, be honest - the show jumped 5 years ago.

In recent years SF has been embarrassingly bad on it.

I think ST would be better, but the format is just old hat.

AD has been unfathomably rubbish from day one, I really don't get what people see in him.

ST is still absolutely top notch on radio, which is where she is best - not sure why that is, I don't find her aesthetically unpleasing.

SF's South America show was just shockingly bad.

He needs to think about retirement, or at least slowing down. Less would be more.

I guess most will disagree with this, and I do agree he was amazing: F&L, Woosta and some of his novels were superb - Tennis Balls is a classic.

MOAB was just brilliant, I've read it 3 times and often listen to bits of it in the car, but Chronicles was just OK.

Listen to SF's reading of the 'sport' and 'music' rants in MOAB and then listen to Chronicles, and fall asleep.

QI should be put down; SF is over the hill (and has been for a while now); ST should do more brilliant, sarcastic, clever and just plain funny radio.

IMHO.

Gezza.:u:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank goodness...he's terribly overrated. Yes, sure he's clever, but he's not a ****ing genius and I wish people would realise that his long monologues on QI are scripted!.
Reply 22
Oh well the show became trash after the first few seasons. I'd still watch mock the week if frankie boyle returned tho. :frown: miss you frankie
Reply 23
despite his recent poor form, would still love it if they brought back '''A bit of Fry and Laurie'''
Mr F may be offered Clarkson's job on that car programme ?
I think I'd have fancied Rory Mcgrath who seems like a bona fide know all when you watch him on the show or maybe fry's old luvvie Tony Slatterey.

one of the things I enjoyed was Fry geeking out over demoing some gadget like the gömböc - don't think ST's really into all that.
Original post by Joinedup
I think I'd have fancied Rory Mcgrath who seems like a bona fide know all when you watch him on the show or maybe fry's old luvvie Tony Slatterey.

one of the things I enjoyed was Fry geeking out over demoing some gadget like the gömböc - don't think ST's really into all that.

I like the idea of Slattery!

Where did he go? He was brilliant!

I vaguely remember him (I think on HIGNFY) talking about princess Margaret going to a "Dildo and Swarfega" party. Quite brilliant.
It'll be another Never Mind The Buzzcocks.

Get sterile as ****, even with guest presenters, will last another decade anyway, get cancelled, people who never watched will post their outrage on Facebook, forget all about it in a week (roughly the amount of time a new episode they wouldn't have watched would've been aired).
I'm a big fan of Stephen but he has been doing the show for a long time and I started to grow bored of it. I think Sandi will really freshen up the show and I'm quite excited. I think she's a brilliant match for it.

Quick Reply

Latest