The Student Room Group

UCL vs Warwick for IB

What is honestly better for IB - getting a job and getting into the top tier investment banks - goldman, morgan stanley, jp morgan.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bobbybob12
What is honestly better for IB - getting a job and getting into the top tier investment banks - goldman, morgan stanley, jp morgan.

They are both the same, so it wouldn't make much difference.
no difference in rep
Reply 3
Will have better chances from Lancaster than both those unis tbh
Reply 4
UCL has the location advantage and a greater proportion of front office employees. But the difference is negligible, however UCL does have greater international prestige.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
UCL has the location advantage and a greater proportion of front office employees. But the difference is negligible, however UCL does have greater international prestige.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you'll find that Warwick has the greater influx of recent IB Analysts, but really it doesn't matter they're both strong.

Actually, Surrey is ranked 4th go there bro - you'll be inundated with internship offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
I think you'll find that Warwick has the greater influx of recent IB Analysts, but really it doesn't matter they're both strong. Actually, Surrey is ranked 4th go there bro - you'll be inundated with internship offers.Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick doesn't have the greater influx of FO analysts in recent times nor over the long run. http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/199099/top-50-universities-getting-front-office-investment-banking-job/ - in this ranking it comes 32nd or so whereas UCL was 5th and 2nd in the UK. This is reiterated in LinkedIn's rankings.

In regards to the 2015 analyst classes in BB's they were predominantly made up of LSE and UCL:
http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/218782/the-top-universities-for-the-analyst-class-for-2015-at-goldman-sachs-j-p-morgan-and-morgan-stanley/

Both are strong and the greater proportion of LSE & UCL doesn't mean they have a greater success rate, many of their students want to do IB. OP can't go wrong with either uni though and should probably focus on what they would enjoy the most.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iBall
Warwick doesn't have the greater influx of FO analysts in recent times nor over the long run. http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/199099/top-50-universities-getting-front-office-investment-banking-job/ - in this ranking it comes 32nd or so whereas UCL was 5th and 2nd in the UK. This is reiterated in LinkedIn's rankings.

In regards to the 2015 analyst classes in BB's they were predominantly made up of LSE and UCL: http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/199099/top-50-universities-getting-front-office-investment-banking-job/They

Both are strong and the greater proportion of LSE & UCL mean they have a greater success rate, many of their students want to do IB.OP can't go wrong with either uni though and should probably focus on what they would enjoy the most.

That's fab, but if you look at the recent 'face books' (i.e. photo + name + uni + subject) of many of the recent interns, you'll notice a significant presence from Warwick vs UCL. I remember seeing about 9-12 Warwick, 7-9 UCL.

That ranking is beyond flawed, it's looking at the 'PERCENTAGE' of people in FO roles, not the overall numbers going in - they don't indicate much as the percentage won't really change that much between targets.

Again, it really doesn't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
That's fab, but if you look at the recent 'face books' (i.e. photo + name + uni + subject) of many of the recent interns, you'll notice a significant presence from Warwick vs UCL. I remember seeing about 9-12 Warwick, 7-9 UCL.

That ranking is beyond flawed, it's looking at the 'PERCENTAGE' of people in FO roles, not the overall numbers going in - they don't indicate much as the percentage won't really change that much between targets.

Again, it really doesn't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep doesn't really matter, should come down to preference tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
Yep doesn't really matter, should come down to preference tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by iBall

In regards to the 2015 analyst classes in BB's they were predominantly made up of LSE and UCL: http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/199099/top-50-universities-getting-front-office-investment-banking-job/They

Both are strong and the greater proportion of LSE & UCL mean they have a greater success rate, many of their students want to do IB.OP can't go wrong with either uni though and should probably focus on what they would enjoy the most.

Boom. If your argument was a person you'd have just blown its brains out with a shotgun.

You are clearly an efinancialcareers noob, because most people who have enough experience of eFC know they frequently put out uni rankings on various finance related chit, and the rankings should always be taken with a Mount Kilimanjaro of salt because they rarely tie up to reality. From what I've gathered its because eFC use weird criteria in picking their samples (as Princepieman mentioned), and they also tend to pick from a skewed population.

Though the part where you shot your argument's brains out is when you mentioned linkedin rankings.

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking

These rankings are more or less the definitive rankings for best UK unis for getting into IB. Linkedin has millions of users in the UK, so more reliable source than eFC's much smaller and biased samples.

If eFC or any other website disagrees with this list - they're wrong. LSE & UCL are higher than Oxbridge because UCL has more students so even at a lower % going into IB, it'll get a higher absolute number, and LSE is basically Hogwarts for bankers.

So everything you think you know about the rankings right now is likely wrong.

You can now thank me for curing you of your ignorance....it's a good thing healthcare is free in the UK, or I might have to charge you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you think then that UCL would be a better university to go to get onto an MBA course at HBS, Wharton, Stern etc or for a master/phd in Economics.
Do you think then that UCL would be a better university to go to get onto an MBA course at HBS, Wharton, Stern etc or for a master/phd in Economics.

It doesn't matter, unis represented at HBS are: Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, LSE, Imperial, Edinburgh and Sheffield. As long as you are strong candidate, the uni is really not that important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MAINE.
Boom. If your argument was a person you'd have just blown its brains out with a shotgun.

You are clearly an efinancialcareers noob, because most people who have enough experience of eFC know they frequently put out uni rankings on various finance related chit, and the rankings should always be taken with a Mount Kilimanjaro of salt because they rarely tie up to reality. From what I've gathered its because eFC use weird criteria in picking their samples (as Princepieman mentioned), and they also tend to pick from a skewed population.

Though the part where you shot your argument's brains out is when you mentioned linkedin rankings.

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking

These rankings are more or less the definitive rankings for best UK unis for getting into IB. Linkedin has millions of users in the UK, and data has advantage of picking up job movers at all levels of experience, not just at graduate/student levels as eFC is focused on.

If eFC or any other website disagrees with this list - they're wrong. LSE & UCL are higher than Oxbridge because they have higher proportions as % of their student bodies going into IB than Oxbridge (LSE is pretty much a banker nursery and UCL also has a strong IB feeder class YoY)

So everything you think you know about the rankings right now is likely wrong.

You can now thank me for curing you of your ignorance....it's a good thing healthcare is free in the UK, or I might have to charge you :smile:

I loled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

UCL does have better international rep than Warwick, so when it comes to any sort of academic/career advantage outside of the UK, it probably beats Warwick, but reputation-wise, for getting into IB in the UK, they are literally just as good as each other.
Reply 15

You're gonna be an SA in Summer 2016, right?

I remember when I was an SA there was a big facebook group, with everyone who was doing an internship in IB that summer in London. They still doing that?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MAINE.
You're gonna be an SA in Summer 2016, right?

I remember when I was an SA there was a big facebook group, with everyone who was doing an internship in IB that summer. They still doing that?

2018 bro, got a few pre-confirmed SWs for 2017 - on a gap year. I get my info from friends who've been through the SA programs.

According to them, they had to take down the FB groups due to confidentiality. Not sure if it applies to everyone.
Reply 17

Also, the faceook group is how I found about the big party that get's held every year now for all the IB SAs in London. I think they usually hold it at Kensington Roof Gardens.

Good way to network with people from other banks, which can be useful if you want info on FT fast track interviews when the summer internships come to a close.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
2018 bro, got a few pre-confirmed SWs for 2017 - on a gap year. I get my info from friends who've been through the SA programs.

According to them, they had to take down the FB groups due to confidentiality. Not sure if it applies to everyone.

To clarify, I know some SAs create a fb group just for SAs at their bank, but group I was referring to is a group for all SAs across all IBs in London.
Original post by MAINE.
Also, the faceook group is how I found about the big party that get's held every year now for all the IB SAs in London. I think they usually hold it at Kensington Roof Gardens.

Good way to network with people from other banks, which can be useful if you want info on FT fast track interviews when the summer internships come to a close.

Sounds amazing man, definitely will keep it in mind if I convert my SWs.

Are you saying SAs at one bank could potentially get fast tracked to FT interviews at another?

Quick Reply

Latest