The Student Room Group

Completely lost in life. Not sure what's out there for me.

Hey,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Wasn't really sure.

Long story short. I went to college and spent 2 years learning to be a chef, thinking that's what I wanted. I now know it isn't. And I feel I've completely wasted any chance of getting anywhere in life.

So my question is. Is there anything I can do? The dreams to do something game design/development related. I'm 20 very soon so I feel going back and redoing college is out of the question. I'm not sure I can do anything uni related as I've nothing in the area I want a course in. No A levels. No idea about points.
No experience or a portfolio.

Baring in mind I want to move out some time mid 2016 so I'll need to still be in full time employment. Part time course maybe? Online?

I'm sure there's a way to get started from absolutely nothing, But I can't find it.
Any help or advice is hugely appreciated. Thanks
Original post by BurntSquirrel
Hey,

Long story short. I went to college and spent 2 years learning to be a chef, thinking that's what I wanted. I now know it isn't. And I feel I've completely wasted any chance of getting anywhere in life.

So my question is. Is there anything I can do? The dreams to do something game design/development related. I'm 20 very soon so I feel going back and redoing college is out of the question. I'm not sure I can do anything uni related as I've nothing in the area I want a course in. No A levels. No idea about points.

Baring in mind I want to move out some time mid 2016 so I'll need to still be in full time employment. Part time course maybe? Online?

I'm sure there's a way to get started from absolutely nothing, But I can't find it.

If you're 19, redoing college absolutely isn't out of the question. You could do A-levels, an access course or a BTEC, but everyone needs some form of level 3 qualification to get into university, unless they have really significant professional experience. Some of these may be available to study part time, or in hours that mean you can also have a job (but that will also mean the course takes longer to complete).

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but if this is really what you want to do, then there isn't a shortcut.
Reply 2
Original post by BurntSquirrel
Hey,

I had loads of people on my course first year who were 21,22,23. Just get a job, study A levels as an external student. You can pay a local secondary school or college to let you come in for the exams. It is as easy as pie. Computer science is the course you want for software development. Do Alevel maths and further maths, then you are sorted. Age 19 is young as hell these days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending