The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2016 !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by zxc_keito
I just did today, with an offer of AAB :h:, which is suprising because I thought they would send a questionnaire of some sort?

Oh wow congrats! Best offer yet I suppose?

Hopefully I will be able to see you at the open day too. :smile:
Original post by JayYY99
Oh wow congrats! Best offer yet I suppose?

Hopefully I will be able to see you at the open day too. :smile:

So far, yes xD Now, even if Cambridge rejects me, at least I have somewhere to go to lol

Yes! Hopefully so :smile: Have you heard back too?

Original post by theasian_csl
LUCKY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! I am obsessed with checking my email now :frown:

Haha i'm sure all will be good news in due time, don't stress!! :tongue:
Got an offer from Newcastle today AAB/ABB and EPQ A; should mean that I don't have to go to my Leeds interview because I preferred Newcastle and York anyway. Now just waiting for Cambridge and Edinburgh :smile:
I feel like giving up...it takes me around 1h30 to do the linguistic section and I don't understand majority of the questions they ask...I really just wonder sometimes ...:frown: anyone not being able to finish within the time limit?
Original post by patricio_miguel
I feel like giving up...it takes me around 1h30 to do the linguistic section and I don't understand majority of the questions they ask...I really just wonder sometimes ...:frown: anyone not being able to finish within the time limit?

What's this for?
Reply 45
Hi, is anyone planning on putting King's as one of their two choices for English language and linguistics?
Got an offer from them few days ago and wondering if anyone is applying there?
I also applied to Manchester (got an offer), Birmingham, Queen Mary and Leicester...
Hi everyone!!!
I have applied for French and Linguistics at Leeds, Newcastle, York and Lancaster as well as French and English Language at Lancaster :smile:

Already received an offer from Newcastle and Leeds - both AAB. Predicted A*AA so fingers crossed!

Anyone else applying for French and linguistics?

Update: Newcastle have now given me an unconditional offer!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by ____katie
Hi everyone!!!
I have applied for French and Linguistics at Leeds, Newcastle, York and Lancaster as well as French and English Language at Lancaster :smile:

Already received an offer from Newcastle and Leeds - both AAB. Predicted A*AA so fingers crossed!

Anyone else applying for French and linguistics?

Just got an offer from lancaster for linguistics, hopefully youll get yours soon as well!

Bonne chance.
Got an unconditional from University of Birmingham :biggrin: (I have only done my AS so far)
Reply 49
Original post by patricio_miguel
Got an unconditional from University of Birmingham :biggrin: (I have only done my AS so far)

Good treats for us after all the stress of the MLAT haha
Original post by JayYY99
Just got an offer from lancaster for linguistics, hopefully youll get yours soon as well!

Bonne chance.

Congratulations!!! I hope so.
Very happy as I received a letter today to say that Newcastle will make my offer unconditional :smile:
Bonne chance!
Linguistics thread - yay! I've applied to Edinburgh, Lancaster, York, Newcastle and Chester. Received offers from Newcastle and Chester (my insurance) but Edinburgh is my favourite! Apparently they're rather notorious for giving out later offers though, or as I'm trying to reassure myself! Well done on your offers btw guys!!! ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations!!! I hope so.
Very happy as I received a letter today to say that Newcastle will make my offer unconditional :smile:
Bonne chance!

How long has it been since they gave you an offer?
Applied to Cambridge (Corpus Christi) as one of my choices for Linguistics. Deadline is fast approaching for submitting written work but we hadn't done any in English Language yet this year. Have a first draft of one on language change that's just under 100 words but the teacher that teaches us acquisition only started looking at texts today. Anyone know if I could send AS coursework or something as the second piece or how long the essays should be?
Found something rather poetic on the wiki on agglutination:

"tabetakunakatta (食べたくなかった), which combines desire, negation, and past tense conjugations to mean "(subject) did not want to eat".
Original post by HistoryStudent1
How long has it been since they gave you an offer?

They gave me the conditional last Friday (the 30th) and then the unconditional letter came on Tueday :smile:
They gave me the conditional last Friday (the 30th) and then the unconditional letter came on Tueday :smile:

I got a letter yesterday saying that my offer would be unconditional if I made them my first choice :smile: hopefully I won't have to as I would prefer to go to Cambridge/Edinburgh, but it was a nice gesture.
Reply 57
Hey there! Sorry I'm late to the discussion!

I'm an American student who moved over to the UK just to do A-Levels (as a one year programme). I'm currently taking AS/A2 Spanish Language, English Language, and Classical Civilisation. I also took AP English, Biology, Calculus AB, Statistics, and European History in the States.

I applied straight Linguistics to Cambridge (Christ's), Edinburgh, Lancaster, Bangor, and UCL. So far I've gotten an Unconditional from Edinburgh and a Conditional (AAB) from Lancaster.

Good luck to all my fellow linguists! :smile:
Original post by Bran_Pap
Hey there! Sorry I'm late to the discussion!

I'm an American student who moved over to the UK just to do A-Levels (as a one year programme). I'm currently taking AS/A2 Spanish Language, English Language, and Classical Civilisation. I also took AP English, Biology, Calculus AB, Statistics, and European History in the States.

I applied straight Linguistics to Cambridge (Christ's), Edinburgh, Lancaster, Bangor, and UCL. So far I've gotten an Unconditional from Edinburgh and a Conditional (AAB) from Lancaster.

Good luck to all my fellow linguists! :smile:

Unconditional from Edinburgh? Wow that is an achievement :biggrin:
Reply 59
Finally, a linguistics thread!! Thanks! :biggrin:
I'm predicted A*A*A* for English lang/lit, psych and philosophy and I got an A* in EPQ last year!
I've applied to Cambridge (Christ's), UCL, Lancaster, Manchester and Brighton - I've had an offer from Manchester (ABB) and an interview for an unconditional and scholarship from Lancaster!
I'm currently reading 3 books and I'm quite interested in language acquisition (first and second), psycholinguistics, morphology and phonology c:
Good luck with everyone's application, I have my fingers crossed for you all! x :biggrin: :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending