The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2016 !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jess8966
Finally, a linguistics thread!! Thanks! :biggrin:
I'm predicted A*A*A* for English lang/lit, psych and philosophy and I got an A* in EPQ last year!
I've applied to Cambridge (Christ's), UCL, Lancaster, Manchester and Brighton - I've had an offer from Manchester (ABB) and an interview for an unconditional and scholarship from Lancaster!
I'm currently reading 3 books and I'm quite interested in language acquisition (first and second), psycholinguistics, morphology and phonology c:
Good luck with everyone's application, I have my fingers crossed for you all! x :biggrin: :crossedf:

What book are you reading? :smile:
Original post by Bran_Pap

I applied straight Linguistics to Cambridge (Christ's), Edinburgh, Lancaster, Bangor, and UCL.

Good luck to all my fellow linguists! :smile:

Well here you are. The second Christ's Linguistics applicant aside from me I've seen round here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jess8966

I've applied to Cambridge (Christ's), :biggrin: :crossedf:

And here's the first. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by theasian_csl
What book are you reading? :smile:

The Language Instinct, How Language Works (David Crystal) and The Cambridge Encyclopaedia of Language! c: Sorry for the late reply, I forgot my password!! :tongue:
Reply 64
Is anyone on here planning on participating in the UK Linguistics Olympiad in February? I'm planning on competing, but I was curious to know if anyone else is, too.
Is anyone on here planning on participating in the UK Linguistics Olympiad in February? I'm planning on competing, but I was curious to know if anyone else is, too.

Go for it! I find it way too hard haha

Best of luck! I'll be trying for the Romanian version, though I'm pretty sure I won't be successful.
Hiya. I'm applying for pure linguistics at Edinburgh, York, Lancaster, and Manchester, and then Modern Languages and Linguistics at Newcastle, where I'd like to study German (intermediate) and Japanese (beginner).

I've always loved the idea of studying at Edinburgh but I just feel like I'm going to be unlucky with them, lol. Edinburgh and Newcastle are definitely my favourites. Haven't been able to send my application off just yet (my school is really slow with processing it and sorting out references, sadly) so fingers crossed!
Just got an offer from UCL - AAA !!! Now should i put Warwick (Psy and Global sustainable development) as my first or UCL ?? The struggle is reallll !!!!
Just got an offer from UCL - AAA !!! Now should i put Warwick (Psy and Global sustainable development) as my first or UCL ?? The struggle is reallll !!!!

Congrats!!! :biggrin: they're both really good unis so just follow your heart (as cheesy as that sounds).
Original post by zxc_keito
Congrats!!! :biggrin: they're both really good unis so just follow your heart (as cheesy as that sounds).

I'd go for UCL :wink:
Original post by patricio_miguel
I'd go for UCL :wink:

(Yeah, me too hehe) :tongue:
(Yeah, me too hehe) :tongue:

The course that is offered by Warwick is called Psy and Global sustainable development. It is a brand new course. Do you think I should risk it !?
The course that is offered by Warwick is called Psy and Global sustainable development. It is a brand new course. Do you think I should risk it !?

I think with new courses at unis, the teachers and professors are going to want to pay more attention to the students so that the course flourishes in the future and creates a good first impression kinda thing. I'm also in the same position rn with Linguistics & Japanese at Warwick but the university already has established a great academic reputation so I wouldn't say there's a risk in joining a brand new course there. :smile:
Hello, Another linguistics hopeful here - Applied to Cambridge (Clare), Edinburgh, King's College London, York, Sheffield. Got an interview for Cam and everything except Edinburgh. Bloody terrified for the interview though, anyone in the same position? :smile:
Original post by Kirill the Wug
Hello, Another linguistics hopeful here - Applied to Cambridge (Clare), Edinburgh, King's College London, York, Sheffield. Got an interview for Cam and everything except Edinburgh. Bloody terrified for the interview though, anyone in the same position? :smile:

Yooo! At least you know you have an interview xD My college (Caius) hasn't told me anything yet so........ :s-smilie:

@maracatinca have you heard anything from Christ's?? :smile:

What are y'all doing to prepare?
(edited 8 years ago)
Yooo! At least you know you have an interview xD My college (Caius) hasn't told me anything yet so........ :s-smilie:

@maracatinca have you heard anything from Christ's?? :smile:

What are y'all doing to prepare?

Nope, and the wait is killing me! :frown:
I've got an interview at Corpus, everyone else's on the 7th?
7th for me too. I am just learning my PS and SAQ stuff and finishing off the reading I said I've done :P
Aaaaand Christ's replied! Interview invitation for the 8th, anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending