The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2016 !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kirill the Wug
7th for me too. I am just learning my PS and SAQ stuff and finishing off the reading I said I've done :P

I'm doing the same but forgot to save a copy of what was on my SAQ :s-smilie:
Did you send any work in?
Original post by maracatinca
Aaaaand Christ's replied! Interview invitation for the 8th, anyone else?

My friend Teddy has one at Robinson on the 8th, think he's MML not linguistics though
Aaaaand Christ's replied! Interview invitation for the 8th, anyone else?

Wooooo!! Congrats :biggrin: lol i'm still (im)patiently waiting...
Original post by rainy-day-rae
I'm doing the same but forgot to save a copy of what was on my SAQ :s-smilie:
Did you send any work in?

Nahh Clare don't require work to be sent in :PI didn't save either, just log into your saq through the website. Your info will still be there :smile:
I had no idea this thread existed - gutted I didn't find it sooner! I've applied for straight Linguistics at Cambridge (Downing), UCL, York, Edinburgh and King's College London: offers from UCL, York and King's and got my interview letter from Cambridge today! :smile: Do most people have two interviewers for each interview? I have two interviews, each with two interviewers, and an admissions test all in the space of 5 hours - I'm going to be exhausted by the end!
Original post by Linguist131
I had no idea this thread existed - gutted I didn't find it sooner! I've applied for straight Linguistics at Cambridge (Downing), UCL, York, Edinburgh and King's College London: offers from UCL, York and King's and got my interview letter from Cambridge today! :smile: Do most people have two interviewers for each interview? I have two interviews, each with two interviewers, and an admissions test all in the space of 5 hours - I'm going to be exhausted by the end!

Hey ^^ my first interview is with only one person, but the second is with 2 people (one of which is Bert Vaux, hey-ho). I have no admissions test. I applied to Christ's, btw, and am currently quite nervous.
When do you have your interview? Maybe we might run into each other ^^
Oh wow. I'm not as much of a linguist as you guys. But I've applied to Birmingham for English Language, King's College London for English Language and Linguistics. My other options are pure English Literature and a fairly new course that Warwick offer called Language, Culture and Communication.
Hey ^^ my first interview is with only one person, but the second is with 2 people (one of which is Bert Vaux, hey-ho). I have no admissions test. I applied to Christ's, btw, and am currently quite nervous.

Hey, my interview's on the 8th and I only got my letter from Downing yesterday - having just over a week for preparation is not fair! When's yours? I met Bert Vaux last February and he seemed really nice, so hopefully he won't be too scary in an interview situation! What sort of stuff have you done as preparation? I'm only just finishing The Language Instinct now, so I'm feeling a little under-prepared, but I'm hoping the articles I've read for my EPQ on language acquisition will be useful? The interview is actually so close now...I'm panicking so much inside it's unreal...
Hey, my interview's on the 8th and I only got my letter from Downing yesterday - having just over a week for preparation is not fair! When's yours? I met Bert Vaux last February and he seemed really nice, so hopefully he won't be too scary in an interview situation! What sort of stuff have you done as preparation? I'm only just finishing The Language Instinct now, so I'm feeling a little under-prepared, but I'm hoping the articles I've read for my EPQ on language acquisition will be useful? The interview is actually so close now...I'm panicking so much inside it's unreal...

:O maybe we really could run into each other, mine's on the 8th too! And I received the invitation like Thursday, so not much difference here. And same. Hearing this is so comforting actually. I need to go through The Language Instinct again, as well as The Atoms of Language (absolutely loved what I've read from that one, as someone who wanted to study Biochem before discovering Linguistics).

Btw do you (or anyone else here really) have any resources on teen and adult literacy, like teaching them how to read and write? I'm volunteering at this centre by helping kids study and I recently met this 7th grade girl who struggles a lot with reading (maybe she's dyslexic?) and I'd like to find some resources like exercises and stuff to help her.

I met Bert Vaux at the open day, he's amazing! I told him I couldn't make it to the talk so he sat and went through his whole lecture with me one on one
:O maybe we really could run into each other, mine's on the 8th too! And I received the invitation like Thursday, so not much difference here. And same. Hearing this is so comforting actually. I need to go through The Language Instinct again, as well as The Atoms of Language (absolutely loved what I've read from that one, as someone who wanted to study Biochem before discovering Linguistics).

Btw do you (or anyone else here really) have any resources on teen and adult literacy, like teaching them how to read and write? I'm volunteering at this centre by helping kids study and I recently met this 7th grade girl who struggles a lot with reading (maybe she's dyslexic?) and I'd like to find some resources like exercises and stuff to help her.

That's so weird, are they doing them on the same day at all colleges? What's The Atoms of Language like? I've looked at Syntactic Structures a bit as well, but a lot of it is so complicated and mathematical that I get quite lost when I try to read it...especially if I leave a break of more than a week between chapters, because I end up having to go through the whole of the last chapter again just so I understand what's going on in the next one! What made you switch from Biochem to Linguistics (aside from the obvious - that it's the best subject you can study at uni!)? Are your A-Level subjects quite science-based?

I don't have any resources on teen and adult literacy, but at my school everything is printed on cream-coloured paper because it's much easier for dyslexic people to read things which aren't on white paper, so maybe you could try printing what she's reading on paper like that? I think they get confused with white paper because it's more difficult to distinguish the spaces between the letters from the actual letters, but I'm not entirely sure. The colour red is supposed to be harder to read as well, so maybe don't use a red pen if you're writing anything! Otherwise lots of libraries have Barrington Stoke books which are dyslexia-friendly (and are meant for older children and adults as well as younger children) so that might be something you could look for :smile:
Original post by rainy-day-rae
I met Bert Vaux at the open day, he's amazing! I told him I couldn't make it to the talk so he sat and went through his whole lecture with me one on one

Oh wow, that sounds so nice! It's a bit reassuring to hear this kind of stuff, although I'm still feeling as unprepared as ever (probably because I am) :h:
x

Idk, I've heard of some people having them on the 7th so probably not.

It's really nice, though I haven't read it all because I couldn't really find it whole (it's complicated). It's mainly about parameters and it uses, as you could probably tell from the title, the analogy of atoms and chemistry in general to explain the importance and essence of this principle. It's very accessible imo, kind of like the famous The Language Instinct. Oh and I'm exactly the same about this kind of books. Chomsky seems to be one of those authors that everyone would love to have read, but to actually do it is more complicated. So are many other famous authors and philosophers, too.

Well I used to be good with Chemistry and Science, going to Olympiads and contests and stuff (I like to think I'm not that shabby now either but I've been a bit disconnected with that lately). And since I had no future plans and was ok at this kind of stuff, I figured I'd be studying Biochem. I liked it, but I've never been passionate about it; deep down, I always was that kid who wanted to be a polyglot writer and marveled at the different accents of people around her. And then I found out more about language disorders and then Linguistics and I knew that something combining language and science had to be the thing for me. So yeah, long story, but I always love telling it :smile:

I'll keep that in mind! I'm not quite sure if she is dyslexic, but I think she does have a learning disability, since she doesn't manage maths too well either. She can read, but she's really slow and makes lots of mistakes when reading out loud. I was really impressed by her ambition and drive to study, stuff like this really makes you think. I'll try finding some lesson plans or helpful images online. Thanks for the advice!
Who is everyone being interviewed by for Cambridge? I've got J D Rhodes and Theresa Biberauer. Rhodes doesn't teach Ling but is from my college, Biberauer is the other way round
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh lordy, I'm starting to think I'm more or less the only linguistics applicant not applying to Cambridge or Oxford. :eek:
Original post by jimjambles
Oh lordy, I'm starting to think I'm more or less the only linguistics applicant not applying to Cambridge or Oxford. :eek:

I didnt apply to Oxbridge :P
Reply 96
In my effort to revive this thread I am going to give you guys a quick update :P

I got rejected by UCL a few weeks ago, but got an interview from Oxford. The interview went alright but I have no idea how my application is going to end up. We'll see in January.

How's everyone doing? @theasian_csl have you decided on your firm? Gonna choose Edinburgh as insurance? ('Cause that's probably where I will end up) I saw you in the HK uni thread lol, I don't even think I am going to bother applying; the entry requirements are insane and I seriously don't see any advantage to it apart from the cheap tuition.

@maracatinca How did your Cambridge interviews go?? BTW have you read "Language Instinct"? There are a few parts about language and how various diseases interact with our language ability, which I think should be of interest to you.
Original post by JayYY99
In my effort to revive this thread I am going to give you guys a quick update :P

I got rejected by UCL a few weeks ago, but got an interview from Oxford. The interview went alright but I have no idea how my application is going to end up. We'll see in January.

How's everyone doing? @theasian_csl have you decided on your firm? Gonna choose Edinburgh as insurance? ('Cause that's probably where I will end up) I saw you in the HK uni thread lol, I don't even think I am going to bother applying; the entry requirements are insane and I seriously don't see any advantage to it apart from the cheap tuition.

@maracatinca How did your Cambridge interviews go?? BTW have you read "Language Instinct"? There are a few parts about language and how various diseases interact with our language ability, which I think should be of interest to you.

Nice effort, was starting to wonder what went on with all of the other linguists in here. That sucks, you know, about UCL - I'm sure they don't know what they're missing out on! Oh wow, congrats! I'm sure it'll go well. I feel exactly the same about my interviews too; I mean, they were ok, but I'm not sure if Oxbridge-level ok. So yeah, gonna enjoy the holidays and see what January brings.
Yes I did read it (I even mentioned it in my PS), it was really interesting! And accessible, too - some other books I tried reading were expecting too much background knowledge, but this wasn't the case here at all.
In the meantime I went to the first phase of the Romanian Linguistics Olympiad. I missed qualifying for the national phase by just 4 points! But I felt really great - it was a huge improvement after what I did 2 years ago when I took part without the slightest idea of what I was doing.
I'm still waiting on Edinburgh, they sent me 2 emails saying they had lots of applications in Arts and Humanities so they're taking their time.
Reply 98
Nice effort, was starting to wonder what went on with all of the other linguists in here. That sucks, you know, about UCL - I'm sure they don't know what they're missing out on! Oh wow, congrats! I'm sure it'll go well. I feel exactly the same about my interviews too; I mean, they were ok, but I'm not sure if Oxbridge-level ok. So yeah, gonna enjoy the holidays and see what January brings.
Yes I did read it (I even mentioned it in my PS), it was really interesting! And accessible, too - some other books I tried reading were expecting too much background knowledge, but this wasn't the case here at all.
In the meantime I went to the first phase of the Romanian Linguistics Olympiad. I missed qualifying for the national phase by just 4 points! But I felt really great - it was a huge improvement after what I did 2 years ago when I took part without the slightest idea of what I was doing.
I'm still waiting on Edinburgh, they sent me 2 emails saying they had lots of applications in Arts and Humanities so they're taking their time.

Wow and I didnt even know linguistics had its own olympiad 🙈

That seems like a really cool experience tho, and a pretty clever way to take your mind off your Cambridge application (if u suffer from post interview stress disorder that is).

Will Edinburgh be your insurance if they give you an offer? In my mind edinburgh and ucl seem to be pretty close, with the main difference being the 3/4 years course length.
Original post by JayYY99

Hey ! Oh whattttt ? Trust me, it is their lost. Plus, Edinburgh has a higher ranking than UCL. I think London is as busy as HK, whereas Edinburgh is a bit quieter.. (i think...) I would put UCL as my firm and Edinburgh as my insurance. Tbh I dont think i can get into UCL as they are asking for AAA.. I think the highest I could get is AAB... Anyway... I will see where life takes me lol

How much work is every doing over christmas ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending