The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2016 !

I have been waiting for a 2016 thread for Linguistics, but no one has made one yet, so yea !

I have got my application form sent off last thursday (8th Oct), but I havent heard from any of them yet.

I am applying to ...

York - English language and Linguistics
Edinburgh- English Language and Linguistics
UCL - Linguistics
Warwick - Psychology and Global Sustainable Development

My A Level predicted grades.. AAB - Maths, Business and Psychology.

Where are you applying to? Have you heard from any of them yet ?

What courses are you going for?

What A Levels did you take?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya! I'm applying for Linguistics too and have been trying to find a thread like this so thank you! I sent my app. on the 4th but i haven't heard back from any of my choices about offers yet either so...still fingers crossed xD

My choices are:

Cambridge (Caius) - Linguistics - [offer on jan.13 A*AA] :biggrin:
Edinburgh - Japanese and Linguistics - [offer on feb.17 ABB]
SOAS - Japanese and Linguistics - [offer on nov.9 AAB]
UCL - Linguistics (International Programme) - [offer on oct.30 AAB]
Warwick - Japanese and Linguistics - [offer on oct.22 AAB]

I take Biology, Chemistry, and Maths (I have a Physics AS) so I'm kind of a weird applicant seeing as most people take English Lang/Lit, MFL, or Psych but I hope it doesn't disadvantage me :colondollar:

What's your favourite topic within Linguistics? What books have you read? :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zxc_keito
Hiya! I'm applying for Linguistics too and have been trying to find a thread like this so thank you! I sent my app. on the 4th but i haven't heard back from any of my choices about offers yet either so...still fingers crossed xD

My choices are:

Cambridge - Linguistics
Edinburgh - Japanese and Linguistics
SOAS - Japanese and Linguistics
UCL - Linguistics (International Programme)
Warwick - Japanese and Linguistics

I take Biology, Chemistry, and Maths (I have a Physics AS) so I'm kind of a weird applicant seeing as most people take English Lang/Lit, MFL, or Psych but I hope it doesn't disadvantage me :colondollar:

What's your favourite topic within Linguistics? What books have you read? :biggrin:

My school does not offer english lang at a level so i hope it wont be a disadvantage to me..

This is really bad but I haven't read any books yet.. will read during half term. What is your favourite book ?
Reply 3
Hey guys! I am glad we've finally got a thread of our own, thanks for doing this OP.
I sent off my application on the 6th of October, and my choices are as follows:

Oxford - Ling. & Spanish (Interviewed, awaiting decision)
UCL - Linguistics (Rejection)
Edinburgh - Linguistics (Offer on the 22nd of Oct.)
Lancaster - Linguistics (Offer on the 4th of Nov.)
Newcastle - Linguistics (offer on the 16th of Oct.)

Now I am just waiting for UCL to hopefully send me their linguistics questionnaire. I've heard that if you're sent the questionnaire and you can show your passion for the subject, you have a pretty decent chance of getting in. Anyone on the same boat?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JayYY99
Hey guys! I am glad we've finally got a thread of our own, thanks for doing this OP.
I sent off my application on the 6th of October, and my choices are as follows:

Oxford - Ling. & Spanish
UCL - Linguistics
Edinburgh - Linguistics
Lancaster - Linguistics
Newcastle - Linguistics (Got an offer on the 16th, 10 days after my application)

Now I am just waiting for UCL to hopefully send me their linguistics questionnaire. I've heard that if you're sent the questionnaire and you can show your passion for the subject, you have a pretty decent chance of getting in. Anyone on the same boat?

What's your favourite book/topics on linguistics ? :wink:

My choices are:

Cambridge - Linguistics
Edinburgh - Japanese and Linguistics
SOAS - Japanese and Linguistics
UCL - Linguistics (International Programme)
Warwick - Japanese and Linguistics

Hey @zxc_keito !

I'm ecstatic to hear you're interested in SOAS! I'm totally crossing my fingers for you! Your A levels in biology, chemistry and maths won't disqualify you, but have you taken a language at A level or GCSE? We at SOAS do look for language somewhere in your schooling. Even if it's a course you took outside of school, we would like to see a reference from your tutor / professor endorsing you. Japanese, just like any language is definitely a challenging thing to do. Prior experience learning a language would help your case.

P.S. we have a 2016 Application Thread ! Come and chat with other students, ask more questions, make friends or just engage in some banter with us!

~Mike
Reply 6
Original post by theasian_csl
I have been waiting for a 2016 thread for Linguistics, but no one has made one yet, so yea !

I have got my application form sent off last thursday (8th Oct), but I havent heard from any of them yet.

I am applying to ...

York - English language and Linguistics
Edinburgh- English Language and Linguistics
UCL - Linguistics
Bath - Education in an international context
Warwick - Psychology and Global Sustainable Development

My A Level predicted grades.. AAB - Maths, Business and Psychology.

Where are you applying to? Have you heard from any of them yet ?

What courses are you going for?

What A Levels did you take?

I've applied for English Language and Linguistics at York, Edinburgh, Sheffield, King's College London and English Language at Sheffield Hallam. My predicted grades are AAA (English Lang, Psychology, Religious Studies).

UPDATE: Received my first offer on Friday from King's! (AAB with an A in English or Psychology)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
What's your favourite book/topics on linguistics ? :wink:

I am currently reading a book called "How Languages Work" by Carol Genetti. It's a really good introductory book and I definitely recommend it.

The topics that interest me most are the cultural and historical aspects of language - language change, sociolinguistic, etc. What about you?
Original post by JayYY99
I am currently reading a book called "How Languages Work" by Carol Genetti. It's a really good introductory book and I definitely recommend it.

The topics that interest me most are the cultural and historical aspects of language - language change, sociolinguistic, etc. What about you?

I ordered a book by David crystal from Amazon but it still hasn't arrived yet. Thank you for your recommendation. It's now on my book list! Tho I just wish I'll spend more time reading this year because I didn't really read last year. I was really stressed ..
Anyway yes same actually! I like sociolinguistics best. However I don't quite like the phonetics bit, which makes me doubt myself whether I really should study it for 3 years...
I just got an offer from Edinburgh !!
Reply 9
My school does not offer english lang at a level so i hope it wont be a disadvantage to me..

This is really bad but I haven't read any books yet.. will read during half term. What is your favourite book ?

Wow, i'm a really slow replier, sorry!
Hmm...I've only started reading linguistics books from september since i only realized i wanted to do linguistics at the end of the summer holidays haha...but my favourite book so far is "Through the Language Glass" by Guy Deutscher. It was great as an introductory book to the subject and then after reading "The Language Instinct" by Steven Pinker, the area of linguistics that i really want to get into is computational linguistics/artificial intelligence, and psycholinguistics.

Congrats on your edinburgh offer!! I just got one from warwick yesterday xD but no other uni has replied to my application so far... Still wondering whether soas has even acknowledged mine and if edinburgh is set to reject me since i haven't heard back :frown:
Reply 10
I ordered a book by David crystal from Amazon but it still hasn't arrived yet. Thank you for your recommendation. It's now on my book list! Tho I just wish I'll spend more time reading this year because I didn't really read last year. I was really stressed ..
Anyway yes same actually! I like sociolinguistics best. However I don't quite like the phonetics bit, which makes me doubt myself whether I really should study it for 3 years...
I just got an offer from Edinburgh !!

Nice! Congratulations!

Me I got an offer from Edinburgh yesterday. It actually surprised me quite a bit as I'd been told that Edinburgh is usually the slowest in sending offers. Maybe we are just lucky haha

.Do you think you'll firm Edinburgh? I am considering it right now but I really like UCL as well. Have u heard anything from them yet?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SOAS Student Helper
Hey @zxc_keito !

I'm ecstatic to hear you're interested in SOAS! I'm totally crossing my fingers for you! Your A levels in biology, chemistry and maths won't disqualify you, but have you taken a language at A level or GCSE? We at SOAS do look for language somewhere in your schooling. Even if it's a course you took outside of school, we would like to see a reference from your tutor / professor endorsing you. Japanese, just like any language is definitely a challenging thing to do. Prior experience learning a language would help your case.

P.S. we have a 2016 Application Thread ! Come and chat with other students, ask more questions, make friends or just engage in some banter with us!

~Mike

Hi! Yes, I've taken both Spanish and German GCSEs and achieved A* in both, but I moved schools for sixth form so do I have to ask for references from my previous school? Also, does SOAS normally send an acknowledgement email for your application?

Thank you!
Reply 12
Wow, i'm a really slow replier, sorry!
Hmm...I've only started reading linguistics books from september since i only realized i wanted to do linguistics at the end of the summer holidays haha...but my favourite book so far is "Through the Language Glass" by Guy Deutscher. It was great as an introductory book to the subject and then after reading "The Language Instinct" by Steven Pinker, the area of linguistics that i really want to get into is computational linguistics/artificial intelligence, and psycholinguistics.

Congrats on your edinburgh offer!! I just got one from warwick yesterday xD but no other uni has replied to my application so far... Still wondering whether soas has even acknowledged mine and if edinburgh is set to reject me since i haven't heard back :frown:

I wouldnt worry about Edinburgh yet. From what Ive heard they send the majority of their offers around May next year.

I probably got mine first because I am an international applcant and I already have my a level results, OP might be in a similar situation. Dont worry and keep us updated, hope to see you at edinburgh!
Finally found my home <3

Applying for straight Linguistics at Cambridge (Christ's), Edinburgh, UCL, York and Newcastle. My qualifications are complicated, but it's ok. HI EVERYBODY MAY THE WUG BE WITH YOU
Original post by JayYY99
I wouldnt worry about Edinburgh yet. From what Ive heard they send the majority of their offers around May next year.

I probably got mine first because I am an international applcant and I already have my a level results, OP might be in a similar situation. Dont worry and keep us updated, hope to see you at edinburgh!

I see...where are you applying from, if I may ask? So are your offers unconditional then?
Original post by JayYY99

I am still doing a level but I'm an international student too so I think that's why I have already got an offer. - international students have to pay double the fee and all the unis need money from us :/
Anyway may I ask all of you since when have you been interested in linguistics ?
For me, it's because I went to a taster course at Kings and I loved it !
I am still doing a level but I'm an international student too so I think that's why I have already got an offer. - international students have to pay double the fee and all the unis need money from us :/
Anyway may I ask all of you since when have you been interested in linguistics ?
For me, it's because I went to a taster course at Kings and I loved it !

Since early this year. Before that I was pretty sure I'd be studying Biochem, since I'd been doing pretty well in Biology and Chemistry as well as Science contests. I found it a good option, but never felt particularly drawn to it. I stumbled upon some article on aphasia and after reading more on the subject I simply had a revelation. So yeah, that's my story.
Btw does anyone know where I can find "The Atoms of Language" by Mark C. Baker online? There's no way I can find the physical one in my country. Got hold of the first 3 chapters (forgot how actually) but all sites I can find direct me to a download link which is quite suspicious. D:
Reply 18
I see...where are you applying from, if I may ask? So are your offers unconditional then?

I am applying from Hong Kong, and yes my offer was unconditional.

BTW have you or anyone heard from UCL yet?
Hi! Yes, I've taken both Spanish and German GCSEs and achieved A* in both, but I moved schools for sixth form so do I have to ask for references from my previous school? Also, does SOAS normally send an acknowledgement email for your application?

Thank you!

@zxc_keito

Its good that you have taken it and achieved a very high mark. Most unis would prefer to see it at A Levels but since you're taking quite difficult courses and you have had language courses in GCSEs, I believe they'll have enough information to make a decision. Hopefully that decision is good news! :smile: Make sure you share the good news on our 2016 Applicant Thread with all your other future SOAS classmates

It would not hurt your application by sending us references. In fact, I would never discourage anyone who can get good references to send to the university of their choice. Lastly, we just upgraded to a new and improved system, so we haven't had a chance to update it and send out acknowledgement emails. Don't worry! As long as you have received an acknowledgement email from UCAS then rest assured, we will / have already received your application!

~Mike

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending