The Student Room Group

Getting into a good uni

For my GCSE, I got 5As, 4Bs and 1D and that D is English. In top of that, I am currently doing my resits for english. I've been working extremely hard for the past month after starting sixth form until my friend told me that my chances for getting into imperial is 0 because I got a D for English and that they usually focus based on the gcse grades, not the resits.

It feels really demoralising and will cry if this is true D:
Reply 1
Most unis require at least a C in Maths and English GCSE, some require higher
Original post by CookieHero
For my GCSE, I got 5As, 4Bs and 1D and that D is English. In top of that, I am currently doing my resits for english. I've been working extremely hard for the past month after starting sixth form until my friend told me that my chances for getting into imperial is 0 because I got a D for English and that they usually focus based on the gcse grades, not the resits.

It feels really demoralising and will cry if this is true D:

Most russel groups require a B/A at GCSE Maths & English. What are you hoping to study?
Smash your AS exams and chill
Reply 4
Original post by h3110
Most unis require at least a C in Maths and English GCSE, some require higher

My teacher predicted I might get a B for final grade for my resit. Will unis like imperial college acknowledge my final resit grade or will they overlook into my english gcse grade? I'm going to study aeronautical engineering.
(edited 8 years ago)
My teacher predicted I might get a B for final grade for my resit. Will unis like imperial college acknowledge my final resit grade or will they overlook into my english gcse grade? I'm going to study aeronautical engineering.

Imperial is extremely difficult to get into. By all means give it a go but expect rejection as only about 1 in 6 get in

Imperial require a B in English Language. Given that they are oversubscribed with well-qualified applicants you could well be rejected; if not, then any offer might well be conditional on achieving such a grade. Assuming that you are in Year 12, you will have the chance to do so before applying. If you get a B next summer, then problem solved.

Quick Reply

Latest