The Student Room Group

HELP!!!! Stuck on this really hard question

HELLLPPP!!!

The question is as follows:

What was the percentage increase of energy provided by natural gas over the last 5 years?

a) 16%
b) 24%
c) 32%
d) 40%
e) 48%

only one is correct.

information given: Energy Fuel Consumption
1. 5 years ago
1.a. 200,000,000 barrels of oil equivalent
1.a.i. Natural gas - 24%
2. Last year
2.a. 250,000,000 barrels of oil equivalent
2.a.i. Natural gas - 40%

HELLLPPP!!! Could you also write about how you came to that answer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
If 5 years ago it was 24% and last year it was 40%, how much has it increased by?
Reply 2
It may seem that easy but its not. Because the number of "barrels of oil equivalent" has increased by 50,000,000 over 5 years. I thought what you thought at first but then thought that it can only be true if the number of barrels were the same 5 years ago as it was last year. According to you it is as easy as 40% - 24% but you have to think deeper.i appreciate your help. maybe this question could also help you.
Reply 3
Original post by asda333
It may seem that easy but its not. Because the number of "barrels of oil equivalent" has increased by 50,000,000 over 5 years. I thought what you thought at first but then thought that it can only be true if the number of barrels were the same 5 years ago as it was last year. According to you it is as easy as 40% - 24% but you have to think deeper.i appreciate your help. maybe this question could also help you.

Oh I see what you mean, I'm not sure then, hopefully someone else can help because I'm too tired to even think about it :lol: sorry
Reply 4
no worries.

is there anyone else that can help me please.
Original post by MaaSharabi
32%

Find what 16% of 200,000,000 is, divide this by what 40% of 250,000,000, then times the answer by 100 so it is a percentage.

Can I ask where you got the 16% from?

As far as I can see, it is as simple as 40% - 24% = 16%. I'm sure somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but since the information given is already written as a percentage, surely the increase in the number of barrels consumed is irrelevant??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
What formula or rule did you use to get that answer.

i don't understand why you are dividing (0.24*200,000,000)/(0.4*250,000,000). that still does not make sense.
Reply 7
can someone ask their teacher to see how they will do the question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending