The Student Room Group

do we hate things because we don't understand them and that scares us??

think about it. isn't every form of hate due to not understanding that particular thing? for example if i were to call you gay and you dislike them them , you'd probably quickly correct me . but what wrong with being gay?( for the record am not but i don't hate it). another thing would be being muslim? yes some muslim are terrorist BUT NOT ALL OF THEM! (not muslim either ). another would be racism. why do some people hate a particular race?
the only way, i think, to cure a particular hate is to walk a mile in their shoes.
anyway back to the original question. well, do we?
Reply 1
Original post by Silver_Spider23
think about it. isn't every form of hate due to not understanding that particular thing? for example if i were to call you gay and you dislike them them , you'd probably quickly correct me . but what wrong with being gay?( for the record am not but i don't hate it). another thing would be being muslim? yes some muslim are terrorist BUT NOT ALL OF THEM! (not muslim either ). another would be racism. why do some people hate a particular race?
the only way, i think, to cure a particular hate is to walk a mile in their shoes.

One human instinct is fear of the unknown. Basically boils down to: "That's different to me. I don't like it. Kill it dead."
Reply 2
think about it. isn't every form of hate due to not understanding that particular thing?

Not at all. Excluding everything you wrote since it's irrelevant, what makes you think peoples' hatred is simply because of a little misunderstanding? How dare you? :rolleyes:
Original post by Andy98
One human instinct is fear of the unknown. Basically boils down to: "That's different to me. I don't like it. Kill it dead."

couldn't agree more
Reply 4
Original post by Andy98

Um no. Who thinks like that?!

And fear of the unknown is what makes certain morons scared of like under the bed or scared of the dark. It doesn't have anything to do with social hatred.
Reply 5
Original post by chantalc
couldn't agree more

So you agree that if someone is different to you, you need to kill it? >.> Strange.
Reply 6
If I hate someone it has nothing to do with "they are unknown." What kind of nonsense...
Reply 7
couldn't agree more

Thanking you :hat2:
[QUOTE="Andy98;59953141"]One human instinct is fear of the unknown. Basically boils down to: "That's different to me. I don't like it. Kill it dead."[/QUOTE
couldn't agree more

Can knowing and understanding this allow us to change?
Posted from TSR Mobile
C
Reply 9
Can knowing and understanding this allow us to change?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is doing so now, very slowly.
Well, I don't.

But to answer your question, yes, that's the mindset of ignorant and hateful people.
Reply 11
idk that bothers me too because for me... i don't have an opinion of something until i research it properly. Many people believe what they are told because they don't know any better... kinda like that dude that convinced almost 1000 people to kill themselves because they just didn't know any better and had to take his word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown#Jonestown_established

these people were uneducated, this was 1978 in a remote area - now 'not knowing any better' is not really an excuse. Almost EVERYONE has access to the internet, and information can literally be found in milliseconds by a quick Google search. If you are really going to feel so strongly about something - you need to know a lot about it

that's all i'm saying

Ok, so you're saying hating people comes from lack of understanding. So what about Hitler?

edit: scarp that, I'm lost in thought and not making sense.

I have a question which I'm not sure to answer. But why would you hate someone? I ask because there's no one I really hate. But I first thought hating someone could be due to holding different views? but that's subjective. Because I like variety. So do you hate someone for being better than you? I personally don't, but I can imagine some do. Hate someone seems very subjective and I can't seem to identify a reason why you would hate someone.
(edited 8 years ago)
I sometimes hate babies..I obviously don't understand babies. Theory proven. O_o

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hate cow beef but I totally understand it. So no.

No. I think thats a very narrowminded view of hate. People dislike things and people for a multitude of reasons, many times while fully understanding what it is they hate.

Dismissing what might be very real grieviances as ignorance i feel is ver arrogant.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
No. I think thats a very narrowminded view of hate. People dislike things and people for a multitude of reasons, many times while fully understanding what it is they hate.

Dismissing what might be very real grieviances as ignorance i feel is ver arrogant.

Please give an example of a real grievance and a reason other than that given above...humans are not as complicated as you give them credit for... They (sorry, we) are simple creatures not Far evolved from their single cells cousins...the common denominator of hate is the lack of understanding..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending