The Student Room Group

Psychology course C800, C801 and C802

I have recently been checking on the undergraduate psychology course I want to study, and I came across 3 different course codes for the same subject.

I have been told that C800 was more science-based and C801 was arts-based.
What about C802? And is it true that only a small percentage of the course would lean to either science or arts?
I've had a quick look and some uni's appear to use the codes for different courses. The main type of Psychology degrees are (someome correct me if I miss anything):

BSc Psychology - standard 3 year degree, should (check first) be BPS accredited and will confer GBC (graduate basis for chartership)

BSc Clinical/health/XXX Psychology - The standard Psychology degree with a focus on a particular area. As far as I am aware the differences are limited (often just one module) and should still be accredited and confer GBC

BSc Psychology and (Criminology, sociology, XXX) - These are joint honour courses which blend two subjects. Some of these are accredited by the BPS, some are not - you have to check.

BA Psychology (including health/clinical/XXX and the joint honours) - These are psychology courses with (generally) less emphasis on the statistics element. I'm not sure where they sit with regard to BPS accreditation. But, if you're pursuing a career in Psychology, I'd avoid a BA completely, it just generally looks less valuable than the BSc

MA/MSc Psychology - These are 4 year courses which incorporate the undergraduate and masters into one. Pretty useful as you'll likely get a funded masters, without competing for the slot as well. Again, avoid the arts one (unless you have a specific plan in mind).

4 year Psychology degree - These incorporate a placement year and are incredibly valuable. Knowing what I do now, I'd fight tooth and nail to get onto a sandwich course.

Essentially you'll be fine on any BSc/MSc Psychology course, provided it is accredited by the BPS.
Reply 2
Original post by _Sinnie_
I've had a quick look and some uni's appear to use the codes for different courses. The main type of Psychology degrees are (someome correct me if I miss anything):

BSc Psychology - standard 3 year degree, should (check first) be BPS accredited and will confer GBC (graduate basis for chartership)

BSc Clinical/health/XXX Psychology - The standard Psychology degree with a focus on a particular area. As far as I am aware the differences are limited (often just one module) and should still be accredited and confer GBC

BSc Psychology and (Criminology, sociology, XXX) - These are joint honour courses which blend two subjects. Some of these are accredited by the BPS, some are not - you have to check.

BA Psychology (including health/clinical/XXX and the joint honours) - These are psychology courses with (generally) less emphasis on the statistics element. I'm not sure where they sit with regard to BPS accreditation. But, if you're pursuing a career in Psychology, I'd avoid a BA completely, it just generally looks less valuable than the BSc

MA/MSc Psychology - These are 4 year courses which incorporate the undergraduate and masters into one. Pretty useful as you'll likely get a funded masters, without competing for the slot as well. Again, avoid the arts one (unless you have a specific plan in mind).

4 year Psychology degree - These incorporate a placement year and are incredibly valuable. Knowing what I do now, I'd fight tooth and nail to get onto a sandwich course.

Essentially you'll be fine on any BSc/MSc Psychology course, provided it is accredited by the BPS.

Alright, thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest