The Student Room Group

gcse french, found speaking, can i get A overall?

hi

im doin gcse french this year, and my teacher entered my in for foundation speaking (i forgot on the day we have it so i got a D/E, hehe), yet my other parts were AAB in mock.

im doing soo much more revision now, and know everything way better. just i was wondering if i can still get an A if i have 1 of the 4 sections entered for foundation?

if so, what sorta grades do i need on the other sections, thnx...

btw, her justification for entering me into foundation is that it enables me to ace the found speaking, and focus on getting A and A*s on the other sections im quite gd at.

thnx for the help
Reply 1
it won't be worth it if you want to get an A because getting a D will drag ur mark down so much! if you're entered for the higher tier you'll probably get a B, or at the very least a C, which is much better than a D/E! I have no idea why your teacher would enter you for foundation oral, it doesn't seem right at all because there's very, very little chance that you would miss the D threshold and get a U unless you cannot speak any words in french, and if you're getting an A/A* in other sections then you must be able to!
wesetters
^^I was thinking that...but I assumed the teacher would know better than me.

You can in languages for some reason, eg you could do higher reading and listening with foundation speaking and writing if you wanted to. Makes sense really if you're better at some skills than others. OP, assuming you got a high C for speaking, you could probably just about do it, but I'd imagine you'd need at least high As if not A*s in everything else.
o rite, eyh cause i can get a very high C if i did found. speaking, with not toomuch revision, but to get a B or A in higher speaking would require a lot more revision.

ill probs just use extra revision time to knock the other sections up as high as poss, thouhg i do really want a solid a :P

would be ashame getting like 7/8A*s and A and then a B lol

damn my nonlinguistic abilities! lol
Reply 4
If you're aiming for A*'s and A's, I'm surprised you allowed your teacher to enter you for foundation speaking! You should be able to still get an A if you do really well on the other modules, but you won't be able to get an A*.....
Reply 5
wesetters
^^I was thinking that...but I assumed the teacher would know better than me.

It's relatively new- I know OCR only introduced it recently, but as Kelly said it probably would make sense if your capabilities in each component vary a great deal.

To the OP- it is possible, but it would be quite hard. Is there any way you could still do the higher speaking? Perhaps you could arrange another oral with your teacher, and see if you've progressed since the decision was made. I don't think it would be that much work, and granted you perform relatively well in the other components, then it should compensate if you don't perform so well in the oral. It could be easier to get a middle average-ish mark in higher than to perform stunningly in foundation and still get a C.

If only intermediate was still around.. :p:
if you're able to get AAB in the other sections you should be able to get an A overall but you wouldn't be able to get the A*.
lyrical_lies
if you're able to get AAB in the other sections you should be able to get an A overall but you wouldn't be able to get the A*.

yeh im not bothered bout the A*, but i got at leat AAB in the mocks, and rekon i could probs get A,A,A* this summer for the other section, maybe slightly better who knows, lol

anyways, yeh good to know there still is a chance.

although the sole B in my grade average wont be a real issue, is just looks stupid next to the other grades lol

thnx for all yall help

anyways, how come some people are saying id need like a AAB in other section for a overall yet others say id need nearly full marks :s-smilie:
It's difficult to say because it goes on UMS marks, not grades. The whole GCSE is out of 360 and the grade boundaries are 320 for an A*, 280 for an A and 240 for a B. The listening, reading and writing sections would all be out of 90 and the speaking would be out of 59. Using the summer 2006 grade boundaries, if you got a mid C for speaking, say 55/59, you'd then need another 225 for an A overall. You could get this by getting mid As, say 75/90, on the other sections, giving you a total UMS of exactly 280.
:O o wicked, that sounds doable lol

thnx for the clarification kellywood
You're welcome :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending