The Student Room Group

Proofs feminism =/= equality

1. If feminism equal to "equality between the genders" then feminism cannot contain any feature that does not conform to this definition, otherwise the definitions are not equivalent.

2. Feminist theory is chiefly concerned with theorising about gender inequality.

3. Feminist theory is a part of feminism.

4. Theorising about gender inequality is not the same as the definition of equality between the sexes.

5. If the proposition expressed in 2 is not the same as to gender equality, then it cannot share an identical definition to gender equality.

6. If feminism's definition is non identical to gender equality, then by premise 1 it is not the case that feminism is equal to gender equality.

Logic bitches. Learn it before dumbing down debates with "but muh feminism is muh equality".
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Feminism is all about equality.

Anybody that disagrees is stupid.
:bump:

I want to see the possible schitt storm coming. :grin:
Reply 3
Original post by XcitingStuart
:bump:

I want to see the possible schitt storm coming. :grin:

I sincerly hope there wil be. If feminists are intellectually honest, they they can't find an intractable flaw in this argument, they should refrain from using the equality argument ever again. If they don't, then we can take from that their arguments are not based on rational argument but rather irrational emotion.
Original post by banterboy
I sincerly hope there wil be. If feminists are intellectually honest, they they can't find an intractable flaw in this argument, they should refrain from using the equality argument ever again. If they don't, then we can take from that their arguments are not based on rational argument but rather irrational emotion.

P.S. I'm not saying I either agree or disagree, haven't read with criticism in mind yet, but any post of this topic is usually controversial.
I just don't understand, WHY do people think feminism is pro-female and anti-male? The definition clearly states it is "the belief that women and men should have equal rights and opportunities."

The only fault with feminism is the name of the movement or belief sounds slightly biased, but if you can get over the fact that "elefant" is spelt "elephant", you can get over the name of the belief and analyse the fundamental thought process behind it........ "EQUALITY"

Who cares what it's called, the idea behind it is what counts....
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by fandom-queen
I just don't understand, WHY do people think feminism is pro-female and anti-male? The definition clearly states it is "the belief that women and men should have equal rights and opportunities."

The only fault with feminism is the name of the movement or belief sounds slightly biased, but if you can get over the fact that "elefant" is spelt "elephant", you can get over the name of the belief and analyse the fundamental thought process behind it........ "EQUALITY"

Who cares what it's called, the idea behind it is what counts....

And feminism contradicts this definition unless my proof is wrong. Engage with the thread.
(edited 8 years ago)
ha, seems to be a lot of these threads around nowadays....
And feminism contradicts this definition unless my proof is wrong. Engage with the thread.

Well, from your first post, your main argument is that 'ANALYSING AND STUDYING' gender inequality is not the same as believing in equality. Well, I must agree that nowadays the very definition is becoming more and more twisted, and any Jane and Anna is claiming to be a feminist without really knowing what it means. Despite this, theorising about gender inequality may not necessarily be contradictory to feminism, as, through the theorising, perhaps people are aiming to reach a conclusion about the problem and finding possible solutions. If you don't think about inequality and how to solve problems of inequality, how can call yourself a feminist?

I mean, I could just sit here and say "I'm a feminist" and then change the channel when I see yet another rape case on the telly. In the end we're all humans, and it's impossible for feminist to just say "we're feminists" but then ignore any evidence of gender inequality. Because feminists believe in the cause of equality so much, they end up theorising up about inequality to prevent it from occurring.

Please tell me that's what you meant, else, I'm gonna look like an idiot. I'm no sociologist, I'm just a 15 year old who think that feminists are seriously misunderstood people. I don't mean to be overly aggressive, it's just that, I have a lot of free time on my hands.

Well, not really, I'm supposed to be studying physics right now.... :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by fandom-queen
Well, from your first post, your main argument is that 'ANALYSING AND STUDYING' gender inequality is not the same as believing in equality. Well, I must agree that nowadays the very definition is becoming more and more twisted, and any Jane and Anna is claiming to be a feminist without really knowing what it means. Despite this, theorising about gender inequality may not necessarily be contradictory to feminism, as, through the theorising, perhaps people are aiming to reach a conclusion about the problem and finding possible solutions. If you don't think about inequality and how to solve problems of inequality, how can call yourself a feminist?

I mean, I could just sit here and say "I'm a feminist" and then change the channel when I see yet another rape case on the telly. In the end we're all humans, and it's impossible for feminist to just say "we're feminists" but then ignore any evidence of gender inequality. Because feminists believe in the cause of equality so much, they end up theorising up about inequality to prevent it from occurring.

Please tell me that's what you meant, else, I'm gonna look like an idiot. I'm no sociologist, I'm just a 15 year old who think that feminists are seriously misunderstood people. I don't mean to be overly aggressive, it's just that, I have a lot of free time on my hands.

Well, not really, I'm supposed to be studying physics right now.... :biggrin:

You are correct in your first paragraph noting that, no matter what you think of feminism, theorising about inequality is perfectly reasonable. Here is the crux of the point however; by theorising about gender inequality, feminism sets itself apart from inequality, because they're not exactly equal, because A does not equal B.

Here I'd point out that feminism, as an ideology that seeks to explain the world, really shouldn't want to be about equality. It should stand on its own too feet.

This is not related to the thread, but the problem with feminist theory is that it's bigoted, ascientific, ahistorical, aeconomic bias that demonises men in its incoherence.

If you're 15 years old then please, read anti feminist posts with open eyes, look at anti feminists such as girlwriteswhat on youtube, and understand we want equality too, but feminism is a barrier for both men and women to be treated fairly. You're young enough to be saved.
Reply 10
Original post by Eigo-Jin
ha, seems to be a lot of these threads around nowadays....

If you think its bad now you should have seen it last year.
Reply 11
What kind of argument is this lol?
"eating sandwiches is not the same as being a human being. I eat sandwiches therefore I am not a human being"

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're young enough to be saved.

Saying pretentious **** like that really makes you sound sad and desperate.
You are correct in your first paragraph noting that, no matter what you think of feminism, theorising about inequality is perfectly reasonable. Here is the crux of the point however; by theorising about gender inequality, feminism sets itself apart from inequality, because they're not exactly equal, because A does not equal B.

Here I'd point out that feminism, as an ideology that seeks to explain the world, really shouldn't want to be about equality. It should stand on its own too feet.

This is not related to the thread, but the problem with feminist theory is that it's bigoted, ascientific, ahistorical, aeconomic bias that demonises men in its incoherence.

If you're 15 years old then please, read anti feminist posts with open eyes, look at anti feminists such as girlwriteswhat on youtube, and understand we want equality too, but feminism is a barrier for both men and women to be treated fairly. You're young enough to be saved.

Okay, so what you mean to say is, by theorising about inequality, it stops BEING ABOUT inequality.

I guess that makes sense. And I COMPLETELY agree with you on the whole 'demonises men' part. I mean, proof of that being Emma Watson's HeForShe campaign. I mean, that's a little unfair. HE for she? That's clearly saying that women need protection from men, and men don't need any protection from anyone, because women are the only sex who are wronged. Despite being a feminist, I do not agree with this campaign at all, as it clearly contradicts itself, by creating a gender barrier all over again between HE and SHE, where the real message should be US, TOGETHER, A COLLECTIVE.

That being said, I proudly call myself a feminist, because I BELIEVE that equality is a better future. Now, I don't know whether feminist is the right term for it, but maybe I'll just go out on a limb here and call myself a 'humanist' because all humans are equal.

I still think that modern day media has twisted are perception of the whole theory, and actually feminism is a much more simple and pure concept, which has been altered generation after generation.

There's probably a more sophisticated term for that, which I'm unaware of, but, whatever.

And what's this about young enough to be saved? I mean, I am, obviously looking at it with open eyes, otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten into this discussion in the first place.
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought feminism was about equal rights.

Men and women can never be equal. By definition we are different...
Reply 15
Original post by TajwarC
I thought feminism was about equal rights.

Men and women can never be equal. By definition we are different...

I left what gender equality actually entails as undefined as its not needed for the argument.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by arcenciel21
Saying pretentious **** like that really makes you sound sad and desperate.

not really, but good attempt at contributing to discussion. have a gold star.
Feminism / 0 = ?

:s-smilie:
not really, but good attempt at contributing to discussion. have a gold star.

I didnt attempt to contribute to the discussion itself since I am above stupid discussions such as this, I was just pointing out how stupid he sounded. u get no gold star
Reply 19
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Feminism / 0 = ?

:s-smilie:

what do you mean by this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending