The Student Room Group

Should I apply for International Relations w/ a language OR a dual language degree?

Regardless of what I study as a degree, I will go on to do a masters in International Relations/Affairs.

Currently I'm applying for IR w/ French and/or Russian, with the intention of going on to do a masters in IR, but I was wondering if it would be more beneficial career wise to do a BA in French and Russian and then do a masters in IR (if this is even possible)

(I'd like to work in government/foreign affairs, potentially EU/UN e.g. in Brussels)
I am not very knowledgeable on the technical details of the courses you mentioned. However, from face value, studying an IR at the undergraduate level may be beneficial to you during your subsequent masters programme and career.

i don't know whether you should choose between French or Russia, but French is a world official language in many international organisations including the UN, ICJ, WHO, AU, EU and so on. Having a French background with IR knowledge may set you up well.

In short, career-wise, studying an IR course at the BA level (with possibly a placement or internship during your degree) may be the best for you. This is just my objective and lay advice.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending