The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Ask a Chester Student Thread - AMA

Hello!

Welcome to the Ask Chester thread :smile:

If you have any questions please get in touch. You might have questions about our courses, campuses, student life or accommodation. Ask away!

We look forward to hearing from you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by University of Chester
Hello!

Hello, does getting a fee assesment form from Chester mean you might be offered an admission or not. Thanks
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
[QUOTE="tossin;69192628"]
Hello!

Hello, does getting a fee assesment form from Chester mean you might be offered an admission or not. Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch. Can you please fill in the Ask Chester form on our website and we'll make sure your question is answered. :smile:

https://www1.chester.ac.uk/ask-chester
Reply 3
Room available
Cheaper than booking direct £100 deposit PAID
Towpath, bronze plus ensuite balcony
NEW STUDENT ACCOMMODATION
10 minute walk to Parkgate Road campus and 20 minute walk to Queen’s Park campus
Reply 4
Hi, I have just received an invitation for a nursing interview, however on the Nursing Preference Form it says that mental health nursing is only avaible in September in
the Warrington campus and I applied to do mental health nursing in the Riverside
campus so wanted to check this was correct?
Hello!

If you have any questions please get in touch. You might have questions about our courses, campuses, student life or accommodation. Ask away!

Have maths bsc students been able to do master's degrees at oxford or cambridge?
Hello!!! Have no idea what to expect honestly, what kind of furniture/supplies do you get when you move into halls? I'm assuming bed, desk and wardrobe? (fingers crossed) and I've heard some unis give kitchen stuff too?
Original post by EBurlton
Hello!!! Have no idea what to expect honestly, what kind of furniture/supplies do you get when you move into halls? I'm assuming bed, desk and wardrobe? (fingers crossed) and I've heard some unis give kitchen stuff too?

Hello @EBurlton

It depends which accommodation you're allocated as to what's included. We'd recommend waiting until you find out which accommodation you have been allocated until buying anything. For instance most rooms are have single beds, but there's a couple of properties that have queen sized beds. Normally you get a desk, storage space etc. Whether you'll need kitchen equipment again depends on your accommodation allocation. Once you have been allocated your accommodation, our accommodation team will send out more information detailing what's provided and what to bring with you.

Hope that helps. :colondollar:
I have another super random question!!! Do your lecture halls generally have plugs for laptops/etc? I'm bringing a laptop with me but I'm really worried about battery life and being able to take notes on my laptop without it dying!!
In some of the smaller lecture and seminar rooms you will be able to find plug sockets, but unfortunately in the larger lecture theatres you may struggle to find a suitable plug socket.
Original post by EBurlton
I have another super random question!!! Do your lecture halls generally have plugs for laptops/etc? I'm bringing a laptop with me but I'm really worried about battery life and being able to take notes on my laptop without it dying!!
Reply 10
Hi im thinking of doing dance in Chester but I'm just wondering/curious to know what the hours are like for the lectures like how many dance lectures do you have in a day and how long do they last usually
My Skype interview done 2nd January 2020 but university not give feedback
Hello! I'd like to know the low-down of the split-year abroad placements? I chose Chinese and Spanish as my degree this September. And how fees and costs would be arranged? Are the equally split? Thank you!
Original post by Abbie K
Hi im thinking of doing dance in Chester but I'm just wondering/curious to know what the hours are like for the lectures like how many dance lectures do you have in a day and how long do they last usually

Hi @Abbie K,

We are sorry we've only just replied! :colondollar:

Dance classes vary from module to module but most are 1.5-2 hours long.There are 15.5 average weekly contact hours in the first year across 6 modules and only one of those is a lecturer/seminar, the rest are all practical classes for the most part.

I hope this helps.
Thanks, Alex
Original post by beyant singh
My Skype interview done 2nd January 2020 but university not give feedback

Hi @beyant singh,

We would recommend contacting the relevant Admissions team. The department tends to provide feedback and passes this onto the Admissions team who are normally happy to relay this to the applicant.

Thanks, Alex
Hey, whats the geography course like here? I am considering it :smile:
Original post by lalacoleen
Hello! I'd like to know the low-down of the split-year abroad placements? I chose Chinese and Spanish as my degree this September. And how fees and costs would be arranged? Are the equally split? Thank you!

Hello @lalacoleen,

I have spoken with Mark Gant, the Head of our Modern Languages department, who has provided this reply:

Modern Languages placements are arranged through the Modern Languages Department. At Chester we also have a 6 week placement period at the end of the second year.

On the BA Combined Honours Chinese and Spanish programme you can split the year in two between Spain (or Mexico) and China or spend all year in China. Our partner in China is in Beijing which is an exciting opportunity. Many students who chose to split the year go to Granada in Spain and make Chinese one of their subjects at the university there to keep their Mandarin developing as well as their Spanish. If you did decide to spend the whole year in China, we would expect your short placement at the end of the second year to be in a Spanish speaking country such as our popular Costa Rica language school and homestay. Obviously things may change a little but we hope to keep them more or less the same for your year group and hopefully the Covid-19 disruption will be a memory by then!

As for fees and funding, the year abroad has a full year of maintenance loan from Student Finance and like most UK universities Chester charges a much reduced 15% fee for the year which bears 120 credits. No fees are payable to partner universities. Student Finance also contributes to more expensive travel costs for the year such as those to China and some Santander bursary funding is also available for students from a range of low participation backgrounds. For placements in Europe Erasmus grants of about 300 euros a month are currently available for all students but nobody knows the outcome of the UK governments current negotiations with the EU at this stage as the UK government has chosen to link educational partnerships to the trade deal to be agreed by the Autumn.

Mark has also said that if you have any more questions on the course or the placements then you can contact him via email at [email protected].

Thanks,

Alex
:biggrin:
Original post by StarGirlie12
Hey, whats the geography course like here? I am considering it :smile:

Hi @StarGirlie12!

That's great that you're considering our Geography course! :dance:

Our Geography department consists of a group of very passionate lecturers, who love the subject. I think our Geography department is great but I'm going to be a bit bias. However, you can talk to some of our Geography students at www.chester.ac.uk/ask. They will be able to give you their honest opinion of the course. We have Yasmin, she studies BSc Geography, and Steffan, he studies BA Geography and International Development Studies.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask away!

Thanks,
Alex
Hello!

Hi, I've got an offer for animal behaviour and welfare, and as the first year is at Reaseheath do I apply for accommodation through the Chester website because I accepted their offer through UCAS, or the Reaseheath website?

Cheers for any help :smile:
Hi @CheckeredGamer

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Congratulations on your offer! You will need to apply via Reaseheath, you can find out more about their accommodation on their website at https://www.reaseheath.ac.uk/further-education/studying-at-reaseheath/living-at-reaseheath/.

We hope this helps!

Thanks,
Alex

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending