The Student Room Group

Top job without graduate scheme

Hi Guys,

With the investment banking forum filled with grad scheme tips and is obviously highly competitive, the forum seems to have a 'grad scheme or die' outlook on being successful in the industry. I was wondering if anyone had managed to get into high up position within banking, private equity, financial services sector without gaining a graduate scheme.
Original post by poch123
Hi Guys,

With the investment banking forum filled with grad scheme tips and is obviously highly competitive, the forum seems to have a 'grad scheme or die' outlook on being successful in the industry. I was wondering if anyone had managed to get into high up position within banking, private equity, financial services sector without gaining a graduate scheme.

Your question makes no sense, these positions are inherently training schemes, they are offered as a clear path for grads to take. Even if you went the experienced hire route, you'd still need some level of 'branding' i.e. a big4 grad scheme.

Entry points are at undergrad and after an MBA but lateraling from somewhere else might be possible.

PE by virtue requires top notch modelling skills which you will mostly get by going through a bank's IBD program, or at a push Corporate Finance at one of the Big4.

Why are you trying to avoid grad schemes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by poch123
Hi Guys,

I haven't come across someone in banking or on the buyside who hadn't completed some form of grad scheme. The very obvious route is securing a grad scheme in the actual role you want such as an investment banking analyst etc. If you can't secure this, then working in a somewhat relevant role (Big 4 accounting CF / TS, S&P / Moody's Credit Ratings) makes the transfer more realistic but still incredibly difficult.

If you don't succeed at gaining an analyst graduate scheme, there is the opportunity to try secure an associate programme after completing an MBA (even more competitive arguably). You'll need to be more specific on financial services. There's a massive difference in the requirements to get a position in a front office role at a bulge bracket compared to something like transfer agency at a custodian bank.

Quick Reply

Latest